The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wrights derby  (Read 3474 times)

Offline WildFisherWomanVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wrights derby
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:08 AM »
The cheating will never stop with these derbies.....
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:14 PM »
Money always brings out the best in People. 

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:10 PM »
Just don't fish the derby if it bothers you, based on greed mostly.I think it was last year at the Winni they stopped payment on the first and second place rainbows,if you know the winning trout is under a shanty you must know who's turn him in its that simple.....people cheat at all levels parents catch fish and let kids check them in ,goes on and on.....

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:34 PM »
i dont know exactly who and which shack. i just know it is on willoughby, but i do have my suspicions! i am not gonna just go around pointing fingers but this is part of the reason i dont join!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Maybe that its out in the open they won't enter it and it will go to a non cheater.but doubtful.We use to have a few derbies of our own everyone would kick in 20 pick a lake and have at it ,it was fun and fair..

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline wizzy69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:55 PM »
Does anyone know the biggest perch so far.

Offline Jrmcd282

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:08 PM »
There is a pic of the board on the website. Think it was updated at 530 today

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Well, fishing Magog again today.  Fished in a different place, with my Sister and Nephew.  Started getting flags, around 10 am.  My Nephew, got a few Pickerel, some around three lbs, back down the hole.  Got a few perch.  One my Nephew got was over a 1lb.  Then checked our Tip-ups, at 11am.  I was heading back to the area, that we set up, with my portable shanty.  My sister was jigging.  She was waving her arm, as my Nephew, was still checking his tip-ups.  She told me to get the gaff.  Up comes a beautiful Brown Trout.  We kepted it, till we went to the Weigh-in, as we didn't want to pull our Tip-ups out.   We got to Wrights, at about 530pm.  It Weighed in at 3.65 Lbs and was over 22" long.  I didn't catch nothing, ha, ha, ha.  Well, at the Weigh in, at Wrights, they weighed in a 21 Lb, Pike.  I saw it in the cooler.  Wow.  It bumped the 19 Lb, one.  What a hog.  Well, pretty tierd.  I don't know if my sister will get anything, for bring her Brown in today, but she gave the fish, to a guy, who works at Wrights, as he likes to eat them.  Caught some perch, but caught more yesterday.  Going to get up early, and do it again.  It was a good day.  We took some pictures, with my sisters camera, so I have no pictures, to show the brown, but she has it on her camera, and it was weighed in. ;D ;D

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I've never entered but seen and heard of some shady business ...even had guys offering me money for my fish one year  ::)
doesnt seem like honest people have a chance in this tourney so save your money and just enjoy the fishing becuase you'll never beat out the cheaters  >:(

Offline Rickybobby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Wow,
You guys like anything? If you go and cruise the other states forums on this website and you really notice the difference in belly aching in vermonts forum.
Negative attitudes

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2013, 04:18 AM »
Quote from: Ricky Bobby link=topic=252356.msg 2593146#msg 2593146 date=1360983616
Wow,
You guys like anything? If you go and cruise the other states forums on this website and you really notice the difference in belly aching in vermont's forum.
Negative attitudes

you've obviously never fished this tournament...

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:08 AM »
Well you can only hope that the winning fish are freshly caught...Karma you know!!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:53 AM »
Hey MEMPH, Nice brown !!! :)

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Well, got home around 5:15pm.  I would of stayed till dark, but my Sister and Nephew, were in a hurry, to get home.  I had two of my other Nephews show, around 10am.  It was a slow day of flags.  Some bump and run's.  My Nephew, caught two Pickeral.  I had a few flags, but at the end, I got a 1 lb Northern Pike.  Caught a few perch, but not alot.  It was a slow day.  Well, saw a young Fish and Game Warden, on skidoo, checking licences.  Didn't go to the weigh-in at Wrights today.  So, I can't tell you what was weighed into.  Well, tomorrow, is a short day.  Going to treat my Sister and Nephew, to Hoggies Pizza, yum, yum.  ;D 

Fishingidjit

Yup, thanks, it was a beautiful Brown, with beautiful colors.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention, my two Nephews that showed up at 10am, were going to drill some holes with my Strikemaster 8" Auger.  Well, my Nephew, went to start it and pulled really hard, and the cord, broke off.  Gee, ha, ha, ha.  My Sister, had my dads, gas Auger, but it is only for 4" holes.  Oh well, slow day anyway.  My Brother, has his, so he said he would drill our holes.  His Auger, is a older Jiffy, that I bought a few years ago, up in Swanton.  It was to heavy for me, so I gave it to him.  Well, back to the shop, on Monday.  Mite as well, get the blades sharpened, while they replace the cord.  Tierd, getting to bed.  Its a good tierd oh. ;D

Offline Lmacvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I heard yesterday from a real reputable source yesterday that the lake trout category was already won by a trout from willoughby that was caught two days before the tournement even started and kept alive tied off under the ice under the shack! This kind off crap happens every year and is why I dont join! Even though wright's always run a crooked, cheating deal they still end up getting around a thousand entries? >:(

You or your source should have called a game warden then. They would check every shanty. 18007525378 is the number to the wildlife crimes line which is always saved in my phone.

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:06 AM »
I fished 3 days for this tournament (my first time). I tried 3 different bodies of water and 3 different types of fishing. In all I caught some lunker perch just around a pound each 12-14 inches, a  5lb pike and that was it (no trout or walleye-bummer).  I had a blast and met a lot of really nice people in the Kingdom.  It was just awesome as every one I met was super nice, friendly and helpful about fishing new places. There were a ton of beautiful fish weighed in at Wrights and also getting cut up for the dinner. I would do it again for sure. I talked to the guys that brought in the 21 lb pike, she was a beautiful fish and I have no doubt those dudes caught if fair and square as they had the 1000 yard stare of amazement about it and were wicked cool about it all-- and they even caught a 14lber within a few minutes of the biggun.

Next year- I'll certainly go to the dinner and get the full tourney experience. We may even haul over our heated camper and spend the weekend on the ice!

I understand it's easy to be cynical and negative about the "rumors" you might here surrounding a tourney but after asking a lot of straight forward questions during the tourney from a lot of different people--I realized there is a lot of unintended misinformation/untrue rumors that people mistakenly pass on. Like Ronnie Reagan used to say, "trust but verify." I think the the Positive Karma far out weighted my fears of being cheated out of prizes!

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 17, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Well, got up at 4am, couldn't get back to sleep.  Got stuff ready, for the short day, on the ice.  We went to the same place, my Sister caught her brown.  The problem was, she said, lets just use the 4" Auger, to drill our holes.  I told her, if we got a hold of a nice fish, it wouldn't fit up there, as the temps, with the Wind, was unreal.  We did get a few flags, but just bump and runs, again.  I brought my chipper, as the 4" holes, became 2" holes.  Ha, ha, ha.  Oh well, we all had a good time.  Going to bring my Auger to the shop tomorrow.  All for now.  Resting now. :) 

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 17, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Seven pound salmon caught on Seymour, too bad he didn't register for the derby!

Offline subwaytinks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:56 PM »
My 10 year old son won the Salmon category in the kids derby yesterday with a 19 1/4 long and 2.43 pounds. With that fish and the 20 inch laker he got 2 weeks ago I now have another ice fisherman in the family ;D

Offline vtfish31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 17, 2013, 03:07 PM »
I registered 3 pike 9.8,10.5 and beauty of a male 36 1/2" registered in at 13.7 nice fish.
We released so many 6-9 pound pike, lost count.
Was hoping for that 40" pike but never happened

Did you catch them all on South Bay? I fished there on Saturday only to find the fishing very slow. Did catch 68 perch between the two of us though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.