The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wrights derby  (Read 3475 times)

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wrights derby
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:54 AM »
I'm going to call today and get some information...

Never done it, thinking about doing it, not sure if you can still register.

A few other things I'm unsure about...

1."Every fish entered will recieve 1 ticket towards winning the snow sled" ...

...so it behooves you to enter ("legally" the amount per day depending on the body of course) any fish that fits the minimum tourny amount length? and I see only 2 pike per day but others I guess how ever many you can legaly catch for the day.

2. one section says everyfisherman can enter 1 8 inch minimum perch to get a ticket for the sled but yet to enter perch for lunker perch you have to enter 10 inch minimum. Or do you keep your biggest 10 inch plus and also (1) 8 icher  for a ticket?

3. Do you only get one ticket for the wheeler and no way for other tickets for fishing or just spending 25$ bucks a whack?

Offline Woodfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Wrights derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:21 AM »
How many people are planing on fishing this derby?  Week earlier than usual

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:25 AM »
I think I'm in.

Answers to my ?

1. Yes all fish entered will get another ticket to up your chances to get the sled!

2. A ten inch minimum perch for trying to win an auger for the largest perch caught and anyone can register at least 1 eight incher for  another ticket to try and win the sled if you didn't catch anything else to register.

3. Yes only 1 ticket for the wheeler unless you drop 25$ for another.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:25 PM »
I will be in it, with another nephew and my sister.  My other three nephews, who fished with me in the Islander tournament, will be going and my other brother, etc.  Hope for better weather than last year, during the Wrights tournament.  A big storm blew in on Saturday and Sunday morning, than it got better on Sunday afternoon.  Alot of snow, with wind.  ;D

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Most of the winners are already caught and swimming around in someones ' cooler ! ::)

Offline Woodfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Most of the winners are already caught and swimming around in someones ' cooler ! ::)

I keep hearing a lot about that going on during this derby. Too bad it's happening.

Offline walleyeicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather be Ice Fishing
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 05:45 PM »

The winning walleye was caught friday night of derby.  Some fish might be caught early but not most.

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:41 PM »
I just get in the tournament.  I don't attend the meal.  I went one year to the meal, and I found that there was no room to move.  They have giveaway (door prizes) and they do put on a good meal.  Now, with the tournament, if Wrights, go by there own regs, that they put out, then it should  be fine, but one year, I caught a Northern Pike, and weighed it in, during the times, they say, of there regs.  Well, another individual, was allowed, to weigh in a Pike, after there reg hours and I got bumped down in the Northern Pike Standing.  So, I hope they go by there time closing, etc.  Wait and see this year.  Good luck, to those who come. ;D

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Also, one more thing.  Carmi, was put in the tournament.  Now, I want to let you know, that Carmi, has a five fish limit, on Walleye, provided only 1 is over 19", per day.  Well, one year, the only year, I attended the Wright meal, during the tournament.  I saw a picture, up on the wall, of individuals, who caught Walleye, during the tournament.  One individual had two Walleye, which it said in the picture, with the weighs, over 19".  I questioned this individual, about this before the meal started.  He was a young adult.  He left, and his mother came and cussed me out, about it.  So, I don't attend the meal, during this tournament anymore.  Just thought I would let you know, that. ???

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:27 PM »
I know many people who fail to follow the regulations on Carmi... There's a reason they've got a freezer full of fillets when they only tell you they caught one or two fish in a day...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:20 AM »
roumor has it today that vt fish and wildlife got a tip about some live pike under the ice in south bay and they fined the guys involved and released the 4 big pike outta the cage .........wth is wrong with pple any one honest anymore ???????
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:34 AM »
Man, more and more  it seems people just want to piss on everybody elses's parade or take the fun out of everything.

Offline Jrmcd282

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:14 AM »
roumor has it today that vt fish and wildlife got a tip about some live pike under the ice in south bay and they fined the guys involved and released the 4 big pike outta the cage .........wth is wrong with pple any one honest anymore ???????
some real sportsman

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:18 AM »
WOW.....how reliable is this rumor Troutslayer??

and why would they have had 4?  Would have looked pretty fishy to clean sweep everything.

If that rumor is true and the people involved are ever on this board you are a bunch of low life scumbags!!!!!!!!!

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Also, one more thing.  Carmi, was put in the tournament.  Now, I want to let you know, that Carmi, has a five fish limit, on Walleye, provided only 1 is over 19", per day.  Well, one year, the only year, I attended the Wright meal, during the tournament.  I saw a picture, up on the wall, of individuals, who caught Walleye, during the tournament.  One individual had two Walleye, which it said in the picture, with the weighs, over 19".  I questioned this individual, about this before the meal started.  He was a young adult.  He left, and his mother came and cussed me out, about it.  So, I don't attend the meal, during this tournament anymore.  Just thought I would let you know, that. ???

Memphree........ The rules also state that all fish must be weighed in fresh.  Three years ago my buddy caught a 17lb pike on day one.  We brought it in and weighed it. On the way to the dinner a woman at the gas station says to us "heard there was a 20 lb laker coming in tomorrow."  At the dinner on Saturday night he is still in first place.  Mr. Wright comes on the microphone and immediately says I was down on the lake this morning and saw a 20 lb laker caught.  The guy is just waiting until tomorrow to bring it to the scales".

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!!???!!!! Your rules clearly say fish must be weighed fresh but you are letting a guy wait until the last minute to enter his fish.

Seemed very odd that everyone and their mother, literally, knew about the fish and that the guy running the tournament was completely ok with the rules being broken. 

It's one big steaming pile of bs at that derby!!!!!!!!!!

Offline troutslayer 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big ray
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 PM »
WOW.....how reliable is this rumor Troutslayer??

and why would they have had 4?  Would have looked pretty fishy to clean sweep everything.

If that rumor is true and the people involved are ever on this board you are a bunch of low life scumbags!!!!!!!!!
the guy was on south bay when the wardens were doin there investigation i guess and the 4 northers were over 12 pounds .. idk i trust the guy but im waiting to find a report on it or c if it makes the paper   
aka half rack 23 willoughby

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Woodab17

I heard of this Laker, it was caught at Willoughby and was kepted under water, in there Shanty.  If you read my past post above.  The individual who I confronted, at the meal, who caught two Walleye over 19 inches, which is a no no, at Carmi, the same day, then weighed them in, at Wrights.  Well, his Mother, is Ron Wrights Sister.  Ron is running the tournament.  So, I don't go to the meal anymore, just get in the tournament.  Good Luck to all, that will be here, from IceShanty.com.  Will let you know, my daily catch. ;D 

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:15 PM »
All of the things listed above are exactly why I will never fish this derby again.  It really sucks for the guys that spend lots of cash on supplies (Bait,food,gas,etc) and bust there ass fishing to try to beat all the cheaters and do it the right way.   :%$#!:  I believe last year was the first year I can remember that the winning Walleye didnt come from Champlain.......

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:19 PM »
This is the first year, that I saw, this Ice Fishing tournament, being placed on WCAX TV Station.  ???

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Vtgooseman

You are right, and I alway, wonder why, year after year, the same people, always win, in these Ice Fishing Tournaments, on Lake Champlain, Wrights Tournaments?  You must be fishing before the Tournament, then weighing in the fish, during the Tournaments.  Just my opinion, but i think, they are alot of cheaters, out there.  The deck of cards, are in the cheaters, favor!!! >:(

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Man I hope all this cynicism is not catchy!!  (heheheh) I said catchy... I'm goin' to fish have fun and hope my honesty perseveres!

How's that for the English Majors!

Offline vttroutman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:45 PM »
I honestly don't like to post things like this, but I figured those who are in the tournament should know (if they don't already?). I sure as heck didn't know this or i wouldn't have signed up. I fished this am and caught nothing, but decided to check out wrights to get some supplies. While there I heard someone sign up for the tournament at the counter? I thought this was strange since it started today. How can you sign up when the tournament has already started? I told my father this who also couldn't believe this and he called the store, and the women who answered the phone, said people could sign up through tomorrow on the honor system? I have faith in most fellow fisherman, but come on! How can you let people sign up for a 4 day tournament up to the end of the second day? Probably best i don't think about it.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 14, 2013, 03:09 PM »
Hmmmmm.....wonder how long something like this has been happening?

Cant seem to trust anyone anymore.......pretty sad.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #23 on: Feb 14, 2013, 03:30 PM »
This is happening because its about the Dollar.  The people putting this on dont care about the guys going out and fishing the right way.  Once they get there entry fee and a ton of cash from bait and tackle sales who cares who wins or how they won. 

Offline Jrmcd282

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:57 PM »
Man this disappointing

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Well got home around 530pm, with my sister.  We had flags, but alot of bump and run's.  Caught around 30 perch.  Two, were some good size.  My sister beat me out, with her, 1.10 lb Perch.  She is going to clean them up, tonight, and give some to a friends mother.  It was nice weather today, but slow for flags, in the afternoon.  Well, when we weighted in our perch, they had some good size pike on the board already.  One was over 19lbs.  Some Walleye and two Salmon.  No browns, etc, but the weigh-in, closes at 8pm tonight.  I saw a couple of Lakers, in a cooler, for Ron Wright, to cook up, for the meal.  Going out again tomorrow, this time with one of my Nephews.  He doesn't have school tomorrow, so he is planning on fishing.  Well, going to try a different spot tomorrow.  We were fishing on Magog, but not in Southbay, ha, ha, ha.  Its Shanty Town over there.  I use to fish there, and got a 12.62 lb Northern Pike years ago, in this tournament.  Thought I was going to place in second, but got bumped to third, only because, of Ron letting the guy, weigh it in after the reg hours.  Oh, well.  Going to bed early. ;D

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:53 AM »
MEMP-Good Luck!!!  :tipup:

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I heard yesterday from a real reputable source yesterday that the lake trout category was already won by a trout from willoughby that was caught two days before the tournement even started and kept alive tied off under the ice under the shack! This kind off crap happens every year and is why I dont join! Even though wright's always run a crooked, cheating deal they still end up getting around a thousand entries? >:(

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2013, 09:23 AM »
I heard yesterday from a real reputable source yesterday that the lake trout category was already won by a trout from willoughby that was caught two days before the tournement even started and kept alive tied off under the ice under the shack! This kind off crap happens every year and is why I dont join! Even though wright's always run a crooked, cheating deal they still end up getting around a thousand entries? >:(

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D How do you really feel ? :)

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #29 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 AM »
A thousand entries x bait and tackle sold at the shop and its easy to see why he could care less if there is cheating. His pockets are getting fat and with the crapty pay outs it's almost as bad as Ehlers and the LCI.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.