The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: When does heavy snow keep you off the ice?  (Read 684 times)

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
When does heavy snow keep you off the ice?
« on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:31 PM »
In another thread here people are commenting that all the snow we are having now will make the ice unsafe and keep them off the lakes for awhile yet.  I understand that snow will insulate ice from the cold air and prevent or slow thickening of the ice down below.  I also understand that the liquid water at the bottom of the ice is > 32-deg, and therefore has the potential to melt ice from below if it is not freezing from above faster.  So, what wins out in this scenario?  If I was on 6" of  safe ice last week with 1" of snow, do I need to spud my way out to the same spot now that there is 12" of snow?

Offline Terasec

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: When does heavy snow keep you off the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:34 PM »
problem is you dont know what the ice will be doing under it,
treat it as new ice,  and spud your way, regardless of what conditions were prior  to the snow

Offline wishing4winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:43 PM »
Especially this year   crazy    ice thickness changes pretty quick    walking on good ice one minute   spud goes through pretty easy few steps later   

Offline Cwab_LX5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2013, 03:59 PM »
always use a spud but any sort of snow does slaughter the ice ik for a fact if u have 4'' and below with over 4in ice its trashed snow melt ice a lot quicker than u think... the water below the ice is indeed above 32 and b/c warmth and cold traavels 10x quicker thru water than air it melts it very rapidly i think if u had 6" and only an inch of snow u should be fine but keep in mind how fast ice melts with snow.. ive had it where 2" clear ice got 10 inches of lake snow on it and lake snow is all fluff but the ice melted and the snow turned to slush so there was 5 inches of slush on the lake below 4 inches of ice and we had i temps in the single digets and lows in the 0 to negative for 5 consecutive days and absoultly no ice was made at all went back a week later and the lake still had slush no ice... with that foot of snow i would def. spud thru it i bet some melted

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:55 PM »
If we have a lot of ice before a heavy snowfall I don't sweat the ice as much as the dam unmarked spearing holes. 2 Years ago I pulled a guy out of one that he stepped in and went down under the water scared the H out of me

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:24 PM »
In another thread here people are commenting that all the snow we are having now will make the ice unsafe and keep them off the lakes for awhile yet.  I understand that snow will insulate ice from the cold air and prevent or slow thickening of the ice down below.  I also understand that the liquid water at the bottom of the ice is > 32-deg, and therefore has the potential to melt ice from below if it is not freezing from above faster.  So, what wins out in this scenario?  If I was on 6" of  safe ice last week with 1" of snow, do I need to spud my way out to the same spot now that there is 12" of snow?
  I always looked at it like this........if and when the spud goes thru the ice....if water comes up the hole it's a good idea to move back the way you came!

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Thin ice snow matters. When it gets thicker say 6in snow isn't going to bother it much. 3 or 4 in and a foot of snow is bad news. I drilled through over 12 inches today, with about 4 inches of snow on top. All more snow is going to do is make it harder to move around a lot. If I were further south I may be more concerned.

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2013, 07:22 PM »
i just got home from fishing, snow almost kept me on the ice today. was 10" snow good times. all the fish were small

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.