Author Topic: Advice on Hubs  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Advice on Hubs
« on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Currently, I am looking for a hub style shelter.. I have never owned a shelter in this style, so I have no idea which brands are best, or which ones will suit my needs. I am looking for one that is small and lightweight, as I usually fish by myself, or very occasionally two people. I don't need a hub that will fish 5 people haha.  Preferably, I'd also like for it to be cheap..  ;D

Which brands and models would you guys recommend?

Go Beavers!

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Advice on Hubs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:09 PM »
clam or and Eskimo..... personally i would go with the clam 2000

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:14 PM »
I have a clam Bigfoot xl4000t. It's the insulated one and I love it. 3to4 min setup and down.

Offline keithire2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I have an Eskimo quick fish 2 and 4.  Very happy with them

Offline nitram

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:25 PM »
I have fished with the 1 man quick fish and the quick fish3 and the fat fish 494 I. They all work well but wind can be an issue. My flip over is still more Mobile and faster to get set up.

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I recently bought the eskimo949i  best $300 i ever spent set up quick fast tear down and lighter than my fish trap scout
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Go with Clam. They have thicker fabric, thicker poles and are just better built than any other pop-up out there IMO. I would also recommend getting the Thermal fabric. A base camp thermal would fit you perfect if you can find one anywhere. Otherwise go with the Bigfoot XL 2000.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I would check out this Clam Tamarack on sale now at Reeds.

Looks like a good deal and it weighs 15 pounds!

I was thinking about this for myself to add to my arsenal of shelters.

For $129, that is a sweet deal.

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=25365

Also, the Clam Trapper is on sale for $189 if you go the flip over route: http://www.reedssports.com/Product/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=22819

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:21 PM »
I would check out this Clam Tamarack on sale now at Reeds.

Looks like a good deal and it weighs 15 pounds!

I was thinking about this for myself to add to my arsenal of shelters.

For $129, that is a sweet deal.

http://www..com/Product/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=25365

Also, the Clam Trapper is on sale for $189 if you go the flip over route: http://www..com/Product/Product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=22819

Weighs 15 lbs??? Holy smokes! Now thats the weight I need! And to everyone who recommended a flip over, I already have a Nanook Thermal, I just wanted to get something I can fit into my small car. I use an small old otter sled modded out for everything when I am hole hopping. I just wanted to find a small shelter to use for when I get on the fish and am staying put. Any other brands worth mentioning? And would I struggle in the wind to set up a small hub by myself?

Go Beavers!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I have a clam Bigfoot xl4000t. It's the insulated one and I love it. 3to4 min setup and down.

X2   works great!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I have friends that have Quickflips and they are great if you don't have strong winds. Twice the floor space and much lighter than my Otter Cottage. You just can't be as mobile in the wind as
you can with a flip-over.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I have friends that have Quickflips and they are great if you don't have strong winds. Twice the floor space and much lighter than my Otter Cottage. You just can't be as mobile in the wind as
you can with a flip-over.

The wind is the only concern I have with buying a hub.. but it will so much lighter and fit in my car. I don't own a pickup and have to borrow one when I use my nanook.. So I want to be less dependent on that.

Go Beavers!

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:31 PM »
I highly recommend you try before you buy! What I mean is conduct a real live physical inspection of as many different brands & models as you possibly can, or at least a short-list or specific unit that you're leaning towards. You have specific needs, restrictions & preferences, and there are so many variables ... size, height, weight, doors, windows, zippers, fabric, hardware, accessories, price, etc, etc.

Are there any retailers nearby that have demo's setup in the aisles? Would you be able to check out other anglers' shanties on your local hard waters? I'd expect most anglers would be quite delighted to demonstrate their hub to anyone that was 'shopping around'.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:38 PM »
I use my hunting popper when I travel..It doesn't like windy..

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:54 PM »
The best hub is the one you can get spare parts for.  Seriously - something will break, likely a pole.

For the size/weight the Clam Tamarack is hard to beat.  The Eskimo 2 man is good too, but heavier than the Clam. 

Setting up in the wind isn't bad, but it does require a sequence of events - anchor the corner facing the wind, pop the roof and wind-ward side walls, orient the hub so that it's splitting the wind, anchor the upwind hubs, then pop the rear/downwind walls, and adjust tension.  That's how I do it, don't fight the wind, you'll lose.

Offline udflyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Northern Ohio Ice Fisher
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Buy a shappell pop up they are sweet
Northern Ohio Ice Fisher

Offline fish413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:42 AM »

X2 love my clam!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2013, 10:13 AM »
The only place that I can go to look within a 100 miles is a Fleet Farm.. and their selection is very limited. Does clam or Eskimo do a nice job of having parts on stock for replacement?

Go Beavers!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:34 AM »
i have an eskimo quickfish 3 that needs one of the poles replaced, so that would be a good thing to know.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:44 PM »
Chimney sweep tools for replacement rods.  They have screw together rods for their chimney brushes. 5 foot lengths, with fittings on both ends.  Cut off an end with hacksaw or angle grinder then cut to length and off you go. New rod for the pop up.  Be careful cutting as it wants to split if you cut through all from one side.  Start the cut to about 1/4 through, then turn it over and start again and cut through.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2013, 06:28 PM »
End of last season I bought a new Clam TAMARACK for $90.

It's awesome. It's 5x5x5.  Fast, easy to setup and light weight
I layered the inside roof of mine with an emergency blanket ($.99). Holds heat and 100% ZERO condensation drip.  Even after 7 hours!!!!  Best MOD every.  I strongly recommend doing it.  I posted instructions and photos on here few months back.

I am thinking of getting the Eskimo quickfish3i.  Its $219.

Check out glens army and navy surplus.  They have AMAZING deals right now on HUB's.  No one will beat their price.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:38 PM »
End of last season I bought a new Clam TAMARACK for $90.

It's awesome. It's 5x5x5.  Fast, easy to setup and light weight
I layered the inside roof of mine with an emergency blanket ($.99). Holds heat and 100% ZERO condensation drip.  Even after 7 hours!!!!  Best MOD every.  I strongly recommend doing it.  I posted instructions and photos on here few months back.

I am thinking of getting the Eskimo quickfish3i.  Its $219.

Check out glens army and navy surplus.  They have AMAZING deals right now on HUB's.  No one will beat their price.

So with 5x5, how many people do you fish with? Would it be able to handle the two people easily on occasion?

Go Beavers!

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I just ordered the Eskimo quickfish 3i insulated for $199.00!!!!!  Was $320.  That's $ 120 off!!!!!

I usually fish my 5x5 Tamarack HUB solo<-- plenty of room.
I have fished 2 and that's fine, just not a lot of room for a lot of other stuff.
3 would be a crowd unless you had a bench, but that would still be tough.

I'd be willing to sell you my CLMA Tamarack HUB for $80 if interested.
But we just gotta wait until my Eskimo comes.
2-3 days?

They are selling the Tamarack for $110. Was $150
The Eskimo fatfish 767 $180. Was $250
Eskimo fatfish 949i insulated for $225. Was $320

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I just ordered the Eskimo quickfish 3i insulated for $199.00!!!!!  Was $320.  That's $ 120 off!!!!!

I usually fish my 5x5 Tamarack HUB solo<-- plenty of room.
I have fished 2 and that's fine, just not a lot of room for a lot of other stuff.
3 would be a crowd unless you had a bench, but that would still be tough.

I'd be willing to sell you my CLMA Tamarack HUB for $80 if interested.
But we just gotta wait until my Eskimo comes.
2-3 days?

They are selling the Tamarack for $110. Was $150
The Eskimo fatfish 767 $180. Was $250
Eskimo fatfish 949i insulated for $225. Was $320

Heres the link  http://www.glensoutdoors.com/Fish-Houses-s/201.htm?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=201&show=72&page=1

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:18 PM »
What made you switch to an Eskimo?

Go Beavers!

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:46 PM »
What turned me onto the Eskimo:

1: a little more room.  Its 6x6, when a 5x5 is plenty of room for 1.  Its nice having more room.
2:  Its thermal!
3:  More height.  It has a 6' ceiling VS 5'.  So I can stand up right.
4:  More windows.
5:  2 doors.
6.  THERMAL!!!!! oh wait... I already said that.

You can fish 2 people in a 5x5 Tamarack.  But the ceiling I only 5' and 1 door which can be a pain in the ass to get in and out off, because it is small.  Where the Eskimo Door I can just walk rightinto without bending over.

7:  It was on SALE!!!!

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2013, 11:32 PM »
I had my Summit Thermal out in 40 MPH winds, 50 gusts and it held up very well. I did have my truck parked on the windward side of the shanty and had 2 feet of snow over the skirt. You just have to make sure you install all the ice anchors (inside and to the hubs) and pile up snow. It just makes it a little more interesting with wind.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:26 AM »
I have had my eskimo quickfish 2 for 8 years now and love it! The wind sucks with them but at long as you anchor them down you should be fine. The newer styles have the wider door which is nice and it has plenty of room to fit two. I have had up to four in it with everyone sitting on buckets. Also I would look into the thermal. You will pay a little more for it but you will notice the amount of propane you go through when heating it!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:10 AM »
We had our bigfoot 4000T out and with no wind I didn't use any anchors.  I didn't see any reason to. When we wanted to move a few feet we each grabbed a side and carried it. When it blows we will tho. I cant see how I could break a pole, when it pops it has quite a force to it and they are all hooked together. I think I would have to really slam it to break one or have a bad pole and it breaks because of that maybe.  Anyway it works great for us when we have a small group or take a newbe to the ice. It sucks tho when your buddy is 6' from you and catching fish after fish and your that close only getting one every now and then. To sit so close and watch that, its just wrong unless its the other way around then I dont see why you are getting so mad.... ;D

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2013, 05:39 AM »
I bought an Eskimo Fatfish, the 757 I think--the smallest one--last year.  It is easy to put up by 1 person and this past week withstood some pretty fierce winds.  So far I haven't had any issues with it.  It will fit 2 people but no more and it makes a tremendous difference when there is a wind blowing.  You can't stand up straight in it but have to hunch over a bit.  I will also say that if you want to "run & gun" you need a flip over.   You might be willing to move this shelter 2 or 3 times during a whole day, but you're not going to feel like moving it a lot--especially in foul weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.