The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LITTLE BITTERROOT LAKE  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Ramjetroger

• IceShanty Rookie
LITTLE BITTERROOT LAKE
« on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Wanting to go fishing on Little Bitterroot  Lake with my brother soon. Can any one tell me how the ice is, where to fish,
and any fishing pointers?
Thank you in advance for any input!
Former Montana boy.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
Re: LITTLE BITTERROOT LAKE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:54 AM »
hmmmm
former montana boy
now lives in Boise
has the name Roger in his screen name
fishing with his brother on Little Bitteroot

Fits the description of my uncle? (youngest of my mom's two brothers)
if so, my mom was named after your dad's mom
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:56 AM »
Its pretty simple...

Launch out of the county ramp on south end.  Follow the highway north for about 50 yards until you see fishing activity. You can start fishing in 40' or... Continue at your own pace and desire out to 1/2 mile or more. Watch for people catching fish!

NOW, if you just want to catch salmon, standard fare. Glow hooks, Ratso's, Shrimpo's, Petes Tackle No-Names below an attractor (Swedish Pimple, KastMaster). Chum hole every 15 mins or so with Zoom, Oatmeal etc. Set lures 20'-45' below ice until you determine bite depth.  Regs say you can only keep TWO over 12"...

If you want to catch the bigger fish, what few are left, you need a deep water rig. I like a 6' Ugly Stik Lite with 400' of 6# Braided line. 1 oz attractor to get to bottom in 240-260'. Set rod in a holder and watch for barely perceptible bite. You will see where the deep water anglers are fishing...

It's a challenge to fish this way and not something I recomend to someone who wants to get a limit.  6-8 years ago maybe...The reason we now have the 2 over 12 reg is because those few large fish got pounded and the numbers are way down now.  The larger issue is, 12" is TOO small and you have to throw back a lot of 13-14" fish to get a limit...

Lastly, early is better, bite can move around thru the day, but usually, you are done catching by 1-2PM.

Last option...go Lazy and call ME to guide you to the fish. We offer guided ice fishing packages for just about any budget and supply everything except your license. Click on our link at top of forum page or below.

Good Luck!

Mike
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline Ramjetroger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:59 PM »
Thanks for the info!
Come fishing with us Desperado!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.