The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gangsta Perch wants to try a spear...  (Read 1421 times)

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gangsta Perch wants to try a spear...
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:16 PM »
Hey all....  We just picked up a spear and decoy and want to give it a go.  Need some pointers, locations, tips, etc...  We live in Great Falls and would like to try tiber or frances.   Thoughts?  Yes there will be a video and yes we have some cool ideas like spear cam and decoy cam...
v/r
Bill

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gangsta Perch wants to try a spear...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Hey all....  We just picked up a spear and decoy and want to give it a go.  Need some pointers, locations, tips, etc...  We live in Great Falls and would like to try tiber or frances.   Thoughts?  Yes there will be a video and yes we have some cool ideas like spear cam and decoy cam...
you should get sponsored from go pro or whatever camera brand you use,pretty cool videos

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Sir, do you have Navionics?

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:32 PM »
water clarity is key.... my pal had 1 foot visibility at millers bottom 1 week ago. I have speared the willow creek arm with good vis.

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:53 PM »
v/r
Bill

Offline feistyfish8709

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Ever try A-rod up out of Brady?  I was up there a couple years and a guy speared three in about 4 hours.

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Ever try A-rod up out of Brady?  I was up there a couple years and a guy speared three in about 4 hours.

Never been up there. 
v/r
Bill

Offline feistyfish8709

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:54 PM »
My btother in law took me there for my first ice fishing trip, of course now I am hooked, there is two ponds up there one is closed for fishing till january so we fished on the main pond we set up tip ups and hung out all day caught a few ourselves but it was pretty quiet up there.
 :)

Offline tightline45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Spearing is a blast.  I have been doing it up Seeley Lake for the last 4 years.  We typically fish in about 10 ft of water.  We locate a good weed line.  Ive never fished either of those bodies of water but I'm sure your familiar with them.  We will drill a hole and drop the cam down to get and idea of what the water looks like before we cut the hole. I like to personally fish the decoy about 3 feet below the ice.  In my experience, be it limited, the more you jig the decoy the more aggressive the fish.  If you jig it too aggressively the will come in and blast it and you may not get to chuck the spear.  As you jig the line will twist up.  I like to allow this to happen to let the decoy slowly spin in the water.  I tend to jig the decoy a couple of time every couple of minutes.  Or if i get bored.  When a fish eases in lower the spear in the water and try to get it as close as you feel comfortable and dint throw it hard just a little toss. Try to catch the spear with the rope attached because if it hits the bottom it will make the water murky and it takes a while before it clears. Any noise going into the water will spook them.  I really enjoy spearing and it a lot of fun to watch them come in. Good luck and tight line.

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Spearing is a blast.  I have been doing it up Seeley Lake for the last 4 years.  We typically fish in about 10 ft of water.  We locate a good weed line.  Ive never fished either of those bodies of water but I'm sure your familiar with them.  We will drill a hole and drop the cam down to get and idea of what the water looks like before we cut the hole. I like to personally fish the decoy about 3 feet below the ice.  In my experience, be it limited, the more you jig the decoy the more aggressive the fish.  If you jig it too aggressively the will come in and blast it and you may not get to chuck the spear.  As you jig the line will twist up.  I like to allow this to happen to let the decoy slowly spin in the water.  I tend to jig the decoy a couple of time every couple of minutes.  Or if i get bored.  When a fish eases in lower the spear in the water and try to get it as close as you feel comfortable and dint throw it hard just a little toss. Try to catch the spear with the rope attached because if it hits the bottom it will make the water murky and it takes a while before it clears. Any noise going into the water will spook them.  I really enjoy spearing and it a lot of fun to watch them come in. Good luck and tight line.

Thanks!  I will see what I can do!!!!
v/r
Bill

Offline PanFi$her

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2013, 10:26 PM »
Good advice!

Offline TheCattleRoper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:33 PM »
Went to Tiber on Feb 2nd. Caught 8 Pike, all 6-8 lbs. Only speared one though.
Also caught a 3 lb walleye.

Offline yoteslayer31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2013, 11:45 PM »
Went to Tiber on Feb 2nd. Caught 8 Pike, all 6-8 lbs. Only speared one though.
Also caught a 3 lb walleye.

Heading there Sunday!
v/r
Bill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.