Author Topic: yak trax snapping  (Read 1218 times)

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
yak trax snapping
« on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:23 AM »
I like Yak trax  for using as creepers, but the thin rubber strands snap... I snapper a pair this weekend streching over my pack boots, and my wife who uses them for running int he winter has snapped them just putting them over women's running shoes....

I looked at some Ice Trekker Diamonds at Dicks that only have a thick rubber upper strap, all the thin straps are actual chain... but they are $40...

I've also seen recommendations for Stabilicers but those seem to be $40+ as well...

Anyone have any other personal suggestions, or tips for not continuing to ruin Yaks??

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: yak trax snapping
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:37 AM »
All I can say is mine are at least 5 years old yak trax and I have never had a problem with them.  I think mine are the pro model.

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:06 PM »
I have several different types of ice cleats. The yaktrax are decent, I haven't broke any yet. They are the only ones could find to fit my 5 year old. The rubber HT ones aren't too great, thick rubber but most have torn on me by now. I just bought some frabil ones, similar to the HT's but the bottom has stud pins instead of teeth. They go all the way back to the heel vs the teeth that are just in front.
My favorite for long days on glare ice is the hodgon gladiator sandals. Medieval looking *****s. A fully studed plastic sandal that straps on your boot. Elevates you off the cold ice too. Expensive. Ill have those on this weekend. The rest available for loan to my less prepared friends

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:18 PM »
You may want to try getting a larger size yak? I've had no problems with my pro's.
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:19 PM »
I like Yak trax  for using as creepers, but the thin rubber strands snap... I snapper a pair this weekend streching over my pack boots, and my wife who uses them for running int he winter has snapped them just putting them over women's running shoes....

I looked at some Ice Trekker Diamonds at Dicks that only have a thick rubber upper strap, all the thin straps are actual chain... but they are $40...

I've also seen recommendations for Stabilicers but those seem to be $40+ as well...

Anyone have any other personal suggestions, or tips for not continuing to ruin Yaks??

I have been using the kahtoola micro spikes and they are great!

Offline St.Croix

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:21 PM »
I checked those out too, they look pretty sick!
><(((o>  ..............><(((o>   .................. ><(((o>

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2013, 12:50 PM »
I have stabilizers, the older ones use to lose screws now an then, having to buy a bag of extra screws, I bought my son and wife a pair for xmas, theirs have a nut molded into the rubber...they are awesome...I didn't mind paying the money for them.  They keep me glued to the ice...
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:02 PM »

I have been using the kahtoola micro spikes and they are great!

x2

A little on the pricey side but they are no doubt some serious cleats.

Offline fsh4fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:44 PM »
i been using the yaktrax xtr's for 2 years and love them bit pricey but work well

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/xtr

Offline GraniteStateJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:51 PM »
x2

The are a little noisey since they are toothy ;D I walked up to a tip up the other day and my flag popped with a pickeral...

Offline Altonbayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • of all liars; fisherman are the most trustworthy.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:13 PM »
x2

Ebay has them for 35 free shipping too.  For the same item on amazon or at EMS they run over 50.

Offline Silver Scotty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:28 PM »
The ice trekkers are awesome.  Just aggressive enough and don't tear up the shack's floor!
I just hope when I die my wife doesn't sell all my hunting and fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it...

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:38 PM »
...Anyone have any other personal suggestions, or tips for not continuing to ruin Yaks??...
I went through three pair of Yak Traks, four pair of the galoshes pullover the boot style, and finally bought a sandal type ice cleat - Stabilicers.  The screws need replacing now and then, and they cost more, but they're built to last. 

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:40 PM »
The ice trekkers are awesome.  Just aggressive enough and don't tear up the shack's floor!

Just bought a pair Friday and tried them out this weekend.  Tuff bullet to drop the 40 bucks on them but I was happy I did.   I liked them a lot more than the cheaper ones.  Much more comfortable and just the right amount of traction.  Easy on and off, hopefully they last.  Some guy named Jamie at Dover marine recommended them.... cant go wrong with any advise from someone named Jamie :whistle:
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2013, 03:46 PM »
If you are concerned about cost $40 - $60 bucks depending on model and style - ask youself this question - what's the cost - both $ wise and lifestyle wise if you take a flounder on the ice - and your pals hear - Help I've fallen and I can't get up! ice is unforgiving!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.