The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: any pointers for catching some Splake on Clear Lake in Atlanta??  (Read 2867 times)

Offline slabstacker432

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey guys my cousin and I are makin a trip to my cabin in Atlanta next weekend and wanted to give Splake fishing a try on Clear Lake. I'm lookin for any tips I can find about catching them and possibly types of baits, lures and or a general direction on where to start...Im not expecting anyones Gps coordinates to there honey holes (that is of course unless your willing) lol. Pm me if there is any info you are willing to share that you don't want made public....thanks!, Mike

Offline KURT SCHELL

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife say's I tune out even the little voices.
we caught splake in the summer there,  we were set up for perch! with minnows and spreaders and caught lots of splake. hope that helps.
PLEASE NO DISTRACTIONS, FISHING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
fish them shallow like ten feet or less and fish them just like walleye

Offline Perch Sniper

• IceShanty Rookie
Splake are not too selective. You can usually find them shallow or suspended over deep basins. Shiners on tip-ups work well and they seem to respond very well to hold or copper jigging spoons tipped with minnow heads. I p

Offline bigbee

• IceShanty Rookie
I have used a jig with a minnow or a single hook with a minnow. In Hillman, they have the minnows that they call "blues" and they always worked well. Yes, you can catch them in 10 feet of water, more so in the daytime as they come up looking for minnows along the shore etc, but I always fished for them in deeper water for the bigger splake. Don't overlook Avalon Lake, between Atlanta and Hillman either... it is loaded with Splake just like Clear lake and some native lake trout.

I have fished for them many times. I always seemed to do well for them at dusk and even after dark up to 7 pm or so. If you have a flasher, try fishing in deep water after dark and about 10 feet off the bottom. I have had a friend who has scuba dived Clear Lake and he was surprised by the giant crappie in Clear Lake. Good Luck....

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
I haven't fished Clear, but have caught many splake in a small UP lake while targeting perch in 25 to 35 FOW, both on jigs and tip-ups.  They are an aggressive fish in the winter.

Offline slabstacker432

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks everyone!!!!

Offline beenfarr

• IceShanty Rookie
Would be awesome to catch a limit of those bad boys!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.