Author Topic: Gravlax recipes?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
Gravlax recipes?
« on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Does anyone on here have a good gravlax recipe? I've always wanted to try it, and I always find good recipes on here so I thought it would be worth a shot.

Also I know a lot of people make it with salmon, but has anyone used steelhead or lake trout for it?

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gravlax recipes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:12 PM »
HElp me out here, heard of this can someone translate what this is?  thanks
http://

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:36 PM »
HElp me out here, heard of this can someone translate what this is?  thanks

Here ya go!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:41 PM »

My understanding is salmon( or any fatty fish) is "buried" in a dry marinade of salt, sugar, and dill, and cured for a few days.

WS

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:48 PM »
It's great, strong dill flavor...I love that.  If ya like pickled herring, ya should like this.  :P
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:04 PM »
I like Atlantic Salmon from the Finger Lakes for Gravalax. The 2 parts sugar to 1 part salt is a good starting point. I use skin-on fillets with the lateral line bones removed as shown.

Coat the meat side of the fillet with cracked pepper. I use mixed pepper corns in my grinder.

Lay the bottom fillet skin side down in a glass bread pan. Cover with the salt/sugar mixture and a generous quantity of chopped fresh dill.

Cover the dill with the rest of the salt/sugar mix.

Lay the other fillet meat side down.

Wrap a brick in tin foil and then 2 layers of plastic wrap. Place the brick on top of the fillets. Refrigerate for 6 days.

Remove the bread pan from the fridge and pour off the oils.

Refrigerate for 5 more days.

Remove the fillets and scrape off the dill. Slice thinly at a diagonal  leaving 1/8" at the skin.

Ya can't beat Lox with good bagels and cream cheese  ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rugby ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:43 PM »
thanks everyone!!!  Now if someone had just said LOX i would have known :)
http://

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I can't wait to try this out now! Do you use regular sugar or brown sugar? I thought it was regular sugar but I can't quite remember.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2013, 04:26 PM »
White sugar.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SuperYooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Thanks thats what I thought. I'll post pictures on how it turns out when I get some fish to make it with

Offline shiloh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:31 AM »
This is how Gravlax is prepared at the Culinary Institute of America.  7 oz/200 g kosher salt, 1 lb/450 g dark brown sugar, 3/4 oz/20 g cracked white peppercorns, 3 oz/85 g chopped dill, 2 fl oz/60 ml lemon juice, 1 fl oz/30 ml olive oil, 3/4 fl oz/25 ml brandy, 3 lb/1.3 kg salmon fillet.  1. Combine the salt, brown sugar, peppercorns and dill to make a dry cure.  2. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil and brandy. Place the salmon on a piece of cheesecloth and brush this mixture on the salon fillet.  3. Pack the cure evenly on the salmon fillet and wrap tightly.  4. Place the wrapped fillet in a pan, top with a second pan, and set a weight in the second pan. Refrigerate this assembly and let marinate for 3 days.  5. Unwrap the salmon and scrape off the cure.  6. Slice the salmon thinly on the bias to serve it. Makes 20 portions.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2013, 05:16 PM »
Sounds yummy. My kingdom for a Finger Lakes Atlantic Salmon.

RG

Offline nomadic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2013, 02:09 PM »
The good thing about Gravlax is that as long as you have the salt/sugar and follow the cure process (I've always used a few splashes of vodka in the process also), you can really play around with it.  Try throwing some caraway seeds on it instead of dill and you'll get a nice rye flavor, fennel seeds make an interesting flavor as well. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.