New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Blue Lake in Sterling Forest  (Read 3116 times)

Offline 4everlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Blue Lake in Sterling Forest
« on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Looking at going to Blue Lake in Sterling Forest State Park.  Was wondering if it holds Perch.  I never fished it so I'm not sure what it holds outside of Largemouth Bass. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Blue Lake in Sterling Forest
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:10 AM »
Osbourne welcome to Ice shanty .Blue lake does have a yellow perch population . The lakes in Sterling forest and Harriman state park may not be open to fishing after Wednesdays night rain. The palisades Interstate Park Commission (pipc) which overseas the operation of both parks has strict rules and regulations. They use a red-green flag/banner system .Red lake closed Green open  with minimum of six inches of ice. Check out a thread titled S.E.NY.BS go to last page (262) and move downward in page numbers you will see my and others post on this subject. Also between pages 250 to 260 I posted the phone numbers for Lake Tiorotti field office and Sterling Forest visitors center. Definitely Call be fore making the trip.
   Post a few more times and you will have access to the reports and conditions community there are threads on Greenwood lake/Orange county ,Small waters Sullivan county plus others in south East New York. Sorry to be so wordy hope this is of some help to you.

Steve

Offline 4everlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2013, 12:48 PM »
Steve

Thanks for the info.  I saw prior to the recent rain event, that Little Dam lake was open after I spent the day on Laurel Meadows Pond last sunday which was very crowded but it was a fun day.  Not sure why, but Little Dam lake looks very interesting and I'll be exploring it if it's open next week.  Kind of like all the turns in it. I'm going to post the fishing hand out from Palisades State Park which covers ice fishing in both Harriman and Sterling. 

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Glad you were able to get out, if Laurel Meadow pond is the rather small body of water I'm thinking of wonder how it survives the winter fishing pressure. Many years it is the only water open in Sterling Forest. I have been told the larger adjcent pond has good size yellow perch. Never fished there but friends tell me Little Dam holds some big chain pickerel. Also try the area by the damn for perch.

Steve

Offline QTeam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:40 PM »
Blue Lake has perch but never got any size. The pickerel kept the kids busy with the
Tip ups. Fun to fish being so close the last time we had a big freeze around here(2-3 years ago) Believe it or not
Rockland Lake was pretty decent for perch that same year.
[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2n1c5jc.png[\img]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.