Author Topic: The end is near  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
The end is near
« on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:20 PM »
Looking at this weekends weather its looking like the end is near for ice fishing in Nebraska....Hating this stupid weather.......... >:(
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline jig4crappie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The end is near
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:19 PM »
I'm still fishing 8-10". We've got till the end of Feb minimum probably into early March. Just like every year, while many are worrying about no ice we'll be tearing 'em up. These little warm spells haven't done squat!!!

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I'm still fishing 8-10". We've got till the end of Feb minimum probably into early March. Just like every year, while many are worrying about no ice we'll be tearing 'em up. These little warm spells haven't done squat!!!

sure, where you live you have ice but over on my end the ice is crappy now. im hoping for warm weather now because no matter how cold it gets the ice around here is not gonna recover unless it thaws out and start from scrap.

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I very much agree with jig4crappie 7-8 good inches of ice can't wait to get out this weekend and rip it up
I'm not brightest tool in the shed my ice auger is

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:04 PM »
If I remember right, JAM3S said Twin Lakes had only 6-7" of ice on it, but then an hour north at Timberpoint it was 11-12"

Just like everything in Nebraska, it's gonna be spotty and the warm weather won't help, however, this coming weeks temps will get warm, but a good 18-23 degrees overnight will re-freeze everything that was thaw'd out during the 2 hours of true sunlight that actually do anything.

For once as a farmer I wish it would freeze again... the cattle lot and yard is a disaster!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:17 PM »
yep your exactly right the ice is fading fast time to put up your gear.....
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline Focusonfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 PM »
I've crossed my fingers and am hopeing for this snow to fall. Flurries all day in omaha, hopeing we get a good 4 inches over night to help out the ice.

Offline Icenebr.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:59 PM »
We fished Pibel on Saturday, 7" ice, 2" water on top by the end of the day.  Sunday went south central small lake , walked out and fell thru to my knees.  Ice is very poor here.  :'(

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2013, 12:56 AM »
got out today and didnt know what to expect, had close to 6 inches at SB but its thinning around the shore. the way i see it is if people are scared to go out thats just less pressure on the fish im chasin!! ;D
every good fish story begins with this aint no bull  "captain phil harris"

Offline Focusonfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:07 AM »
The snow is falling in the omaha metro area. We have a good 2 inches at 2 am now, thank you God for snow. The ice should firm back up.

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:57 AM »
The snow is falling in the omaha metro area. We have a good 2 inches at 2 am now, thank you God for snow. The ice should firm back up.

i heard the snow insulates it and in not good for it with the mild temps...

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Insulates and the weight will cause water to come up through cracks. Lets hope single digits help!

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Just getting good! Love it when the lakes start to unlock, and get the O2 level going again. More activity, more catching, and more ice time! Been a great season already, and should be good for a while. Benefits of living in the "North"east Nebr.
Herm Krepel

Offline Docholiday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2013, 10:38 PM »
nope nope clunk is right everyone go put your gear away ice fishing is done in nebraksa
Hit em Hard Water Style

Doc

Offline okcableguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 PM »
Couldn't agree more, pulled the boat out of storage today, got my long rods oiled, ready for Saturday!
My Job?

I feed the world...

Offline Koked1057

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:32 PM »
West end of the state still has good ice the box butte tourney is this weekend too!!!

Offline catfishclark10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:57 PM »
West end of the state still has good ice the box butte tourney is this weekend too!!!

Tourney will be a great time at Box this weekend! Glad we have ice out here still! ;D
[img width=116

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:42 PM »
You guys are all giving up already?  More fish for me then.  ;D

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:10 PM »
You guys are all giving up already?  More fish for me then.  ;D

Fine line between catching fish and not being smart when conditions dont allow for it. 4-5" of poor ice is not safe, end of story. Heading north for a 3 day fishing trip and after that, the gear will likely be put away for the season. Unless it gets below zero for a long period then the SE part of the state may be done. Is that all ice? No. Is that a broad statement? Yes. I guess Im not the guy who brings enough equipment to start a small construction company along with me fishing. Im not big on using planks, boards, ladders, ropes etc to get on the ice and fish. Ill wave to you when I go by in my boat and you are sitting on the last remaining small iceberg left on the lake....LOL.  Be safe. :)

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2013, 03:13 PM »
I'm not giving up quite yet, but I'm not going to be stupid either.  My main lake (Walnut Creek) is currently in bad shape - most of the areas I like to fish most are open water.  I'm on hold for a little while at least, or until I can drive north.

Nate

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Fine line between catching fish and not being smart when conditions dont allow for it. 4-5" of poor ice is not safe, end of story. Heading north for a 3 day fishing trip and after that, the gear will likely be put away for the season. Unless it gets below zero for a long period then the SE part of the state may be done. Is that all ice? No. Is that a broad statement? Yes. I guess Im not the guy who brings enough equipment to start a small construction company along with me fishing. Im not big on using planks, boards, ladders, ropes etc to get on the ice and fish. Ill wave to you when I go by in my boat and you are sitting on the last remaining small iceberg left on the lake....LOL.  Be safe. :)

And I'll wave back!  Maybe you would be nice enough to drop me off on that last ice patch with your boat.   ;D

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:26 PM »
And I'll wave back!  Maybe you would be nice enough to drop me off on that last ice patch with your boat.   ;D

Hahaha any time! You can use my livewell too!!! :)

Offline CARTMATT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:31 PM »
I hope to get Sat morn in before ice slips away! If this cold snap adds some ice. Pond with shady west shore, should have good entry. Ill send the heaviest guy first.  If I get wet, I get wet. Wont be the first or last time.   ;D

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2013, 05:13 PM »
I hope to get Sat morn in before ice slips away! If this cold snap adds some ice. Pond with shady west shore, should have good entry. Ill send the heaviest guy first.  If I get wet, I get wet. Wont be the first or last time.   ;D

How's the fishing there?  I could be your fat guy. ;D

Offline Fish2Live

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 PM »
I found out I don't have to work Saturday, so I will be headed out fishing. Anybody want to meet up?

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:04 PM »

im not the guy who brings enough equipment to start a small construction company LMFAO!!!!! i know right..first time i saw a contractor i was baffled :-\, im thinkin what the hell is going on here ??? ??? ??? is this guy gonna come out and build a ice house from scratch and then when he got set up he didnt even bring have one :o.....it was the highlite of the day for sure. and right when i think ive seen it all lol!

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:33 PM »
I agree with Eyedoc.......let's not be stupid.....we all know what's good and what's bad....catching a fish isn't worth Dieing for........just make the right choice.....watch out for one another and be safe..
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:52 PM »
im not the guy who brings enough equipment to start a small construction company LMFAO!!!!! i know right..first time i saw a contractor i was baffled :-\, im thinkin what the hell is going on here ??? ??? ??? is this guy gonna come out and build a ice house from scratch and then when he got set up he didnt even bring have one :o.....it was the highlite of the day for sure. and right when i think ive seen it all lol!

LOL!  ;D

Offline Focusonfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:22 AM »
Where is everyone planning on heading to fish on Saturday? I would be more than willing to make the adventure :) and hopefully catch some fish. Today, I fished with fishfanatic1 out on standing bear and te ice was pretty firm and averaged 5 to 6 inches. The ice was singing to us but was very hard to hear with all the wind this morning. Didn't catch any fish in 2 hours so we packed up and headed home. I gotta say 3 pairs of socks didn't no justice today. If anyone is planning on fishing in these negative wind chills without a hut we did today, my suggestion is you can not possibly wear enough clothes to stay warm. Happy fishing.

Offline fishinfanatic1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2013, 03:03 AM »
hmmm. i didnt hear a thing except for the crack that shot across before you got there, but your ears being almost 20 yrs younger probally heard better in that wind. that first hour after the sun came up while i was waiting for you was actually nice but man that wind was brutal.
my feet were fine when we left but hands were damm cold then as soon as i started driving my feet all of a sudden got so cold they were hurtin. got home and took my boots and socks off and i have never had my feet that numb, and they hurt worse after i did that. finally after 20 mins or so the blood got flowing and i was fine. some people would say i was crazy for fishing if my feet were that bad and they would probally be right but whats even more crazy is i would do it again to be able to fish lol!  livin the dream!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.