Author Topic: Valentine NWR Lakes  (Read 11216 times)

Offline outdoorsman81

• IceShanty Rookie
Valentine NWR Lakes
« on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:05 PM »
Planning a trip to valentine NWR, its been a while since I have fished there, was up this weekend and did not catch a thing, would like to get the kids on some pan fish, any help?

Offline Gobluefne

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Valentine NWR Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Where did you fish this last weekend?  Hackberry was alright, some decent gills and perch early in the morning.  I also fished duck, kinda slow.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2013, 05:14 PM »
It may take me awhile to get a report up, but we fished the Valentine Refuge last Saturday and did well, panfish and pike.

Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/blogs/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:49 PM »
dont know if fish 98s post is true but if it is i would like an answer as well

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Pelican, Hackberry, and Duck are not a joke.  Hack is a new renovation that has survived enormous pressure the last couple years and the other two have given up great fish this year.  There are too many fisherman for those lakes to just keep pumping out lb. gills for everyone.  Watts lost its big fish this year because its so low.  I would wager Dewey has given up more two pound gills over the last 5 years than any public lake in the state.  They are just low in number and most people who fish it have tip ups out.
Where's the ice

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2013, 08:09 PM »
We were up at Dewey in late Sept what ever federal warden that we talked to to said eventually the goal was to drain all the lakes starting with pulling the boards at Dewey will cause the rest of the lakes to drain. His reason was no funds to maintain the lakes and somehow asian carp were introduced into clear lake .South Dakota was pulling gills out of Pelican for the past 10 yrs I have talked to there so called bioloigists taking eggs and shocking fish off the beds. And caught several gills with gps locators in them.There is a lot of BS going on at the Refuge.Why are they tearing down the main head quarters at Hackberry.What is going on at Big Alkali. Why have they cut all the trees down at Dewey,Hackberry,Pelican,Watts? For what reason to get rid of the Raptors?

?????????
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline nebftbl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Not sure about the level of the lakes at the refuge but did fish other lakes in the area and they were all very low.  I hope the state is not "trying anything" at the refuge.  Lord knows they have messed up most other projects.  I knew it wasn't good when the roads up there were improved.  Figured it was the beginning of the end. To  NGPC -  just keep playing in the mud holes in the southeastern part of the state and stay out of the sandhills.  This is God's country - leave it to him.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Daryl can you explain why they took all the boards out at Dewey this fall and now all the lakes are so low?What is the reason behind this?Why has South Dakota  been up at Pelican, Hackberry, Dewey , Duck, watts ,collecting bluegills perch, bass and pike for the past 10 years? Eggs and fry? All those lakes were great fisheries now they are a joke.

The biggest reason the sandhill lakes are low, including the lakes on the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge is lack of precipitation!

That was some limited water level manipulation last year for boat ramp improvements on several of the lakes.

South Dakota State University has been conducting fisheries research on the Valentine refuge lakes for a long time now.  That research has included the collection of a variety of sizes and species of fish but there have been no eggs or fry removed.  We have learned a lot through that research, our sandhill lakes and the fish communities in them are unique and special.  One thing we have learned, again, is that fish populations are dynamic, always changing, there are big year-classes of fish produced and then small year-classes, fishing opportunities and success will always vary from year to year, and the current low water conditions are not helping any of the fish in those lakes.  But . . . to characterize "all those lakes were great fisheries now they are a joke." is just plain BALONEY.  Some of the best fishing in Nebraska and some of the best ice-fishing in the country is still found on those waters.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:55 PM »
We were up at Dewey in late Sept what ever federal warden that we talked to to said eventually the goal was to drain all the lakes starting with pulling the boards at Dewey will cause the rest of the lakes to drain. His reason was no funds to maintain the lakes and somehow asian carp were introduced into clear lake .South Dakota was pulling gills out of Pelican for the past 10 yrs I have talked to there so called bioloigists taking eggs and shocking fish off the beds. And caught several gills with gps locators in them.There is a lot of BS going on at the Refuge.Why are they tearing down the main head quarters at Hackberry.What is going on at Big Alkali. Why have they cut all the trees down at Dewey,Hackberry,Pelican,Watts? For what reason to get rid of the Raptors?

Again, a bunch more BALONEY!

I already told you the reasoning for some water level manipulations this past year, and there are plans to look at water level manipulations and renovations on a refuge wide basis in the future.  But, there are no plans to drain the Valentine refuge lakes because of some lack of funding.  You all know that Hackberry was recently renovated and other lakes may be renovated in the future, but there are no renovations planned right now and certainly no conspiracy to drain all the lakes.

Asian carp????  Again, BALONEY!  Or at least that is BALONEY unless you consider common carp to be "Asian carp".  Common carp have had a presence on the Valentine refuge longer than any of us have been around.  The management of common carp has been a priority on the Valentine refuge for a long, long time, and will continue to be for a lot longer.  Additional ability to manipulate water levels and perform rotenone renovations when needed will continue to maintain excellent water quality, habitat and fishing on the refuge for years to come and we are working with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife refuge staff to accomplish that.

Again, as I said before, South Dakota State University (SDSU) has been conducting fisheries research on the Valentine refuge lakes for the past several years.  They have evaluated spawning habitat, reproduction and recruitment of bluegills and yellow perch and we know more about that in those sandhill lakes than we ever knew before.  We know some of the mechanisms and factors that impact bluegill and perch recruitment and as is true with all research have come up with a bunch more questions.  One thing I can tell you is that the recruitment of those species in Pelican Lake in recent years has NOT been lacking.  There has been no taking of eggs or fry or removal of fish off their spawn beds; there has been sampling of those fish from early life stages, but no one is out there removing fish, eggs or fry.  And even if there had been the recruitment of those fish in recent years has certainly not been impacted.

Likewise nobody put any "gps locators" in any bluegills.  Several years ago there were some radio transmitters placed in Pelican Lake bluegills, but those had nothing to do with GPS technology.  To locate the bluegills with those radio transmitters, SDSU researchers had to spend hours on the lake listening for the radio transmissions and then pinpointing the location of those fish.  That research taught us a lot about the movement of those fish in Pelican Lake and specifically what spawning habitats they used.  We learned that there was not a lack of spawning habitat.

Some of the rest of your questions would be best asked of the refuge staff.  I would encourage you to pursue that, you can find contact information here, http://www.fws.gov/valentine/contactus.html .  I am not sure what renovations or rehabilitations might be in progress at the Hackberry Lake sub-headquarters.  I do believe I heard something about some new headquarters or building over at the Pony Lake sub-headquarters.

Big Alkali is NOT part of the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge.  Big Alkali is a Nebraska Game & Parks Commission wildlife area, what do you want to know about what is going on there?

Again you will have to ask the federal refuge staff about the tree clearing.  I have no idea.  But I do know that they have some specific wildlife management and habitat management objectives for the Valentine refuge and the removal of some of those trees are probably part of that.  It may be to reduce the number of places where raptors can perch and then pick off upland birds, waterfowl or other wildlife, but again I would encourage you to talk that over with the refuge staff.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Not sure about the level of the lakes at the refuge but did fish other lakes in the area and they were all very low.  I hope the state is not "trying anything" at the refuge.  Lord knows they have messed up most other projects.  I knew it wasn't good when the roads up there were improved.  Figured it was the beginning of the end. To  NGPC -  just keep playing in the mud holes in the southeastern part of the state and stay out of the sandhills.  This is God's country - leave it to him.

So, you would rather we did not help in sampling of the Valentine refuge lakes?  Research?  Regulation?  Rotenone renovations and the subsequent fantastic fishing?  Fish stocking?  I ain't saying we are perfect, but we ain't messing up everything either.

I absolutely agree with you it is "God's country", but it is our responsibility to be good stewards of all of the state's fisheries resources, not just those in the more populated southeastern part of the state.  And, by the way, those resources belong to all of us.

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:29 PM »
BAM!

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:08 PM »
How bout them Huskers   :cookoo:

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Just have to remember without them we wouldnt have much.  You might not agree with everything they do but can you imagine if we didnt have them? 

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Hate to tell ya but without the state & fed boys you ain't having much of a fishery at any V. Refuge lake or most Sandhill Lakes in general. Carp are the enemy and will decimate a lake if not controlled.  Want to know why we caught huge gills and pike on Pelican in the late 80's, early 90's. It's because the state / feds got together and renovated it, killing the carp, allowing vegetation growth, and big fish were the result. Mother Nature also helped with some wet years about then as well.   

Like this quote.
You all know that Hackberry was recently renovated and other lakes may be renovated in the future.

Personally I would rather see a complete renovation of several refuge lakes than a one lake at a time approach that allows carp to travel between water bodies during periods of high water. Maybe the feds manipulating water levels might have something to do with preventing carp movement in the future.  ;) That would be a good thing for all of us.

It is a free country and we have the right to agree or disagree with whomever we so may choose. I've been ice fishing state and federal fisheries over the last 2 months in this part of the Sandhills and believe the NE G&P is greatly responsible for my success. Wish they had additional funding for other much needed renovations during these low water years where carp kills are most effective.

dc

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:12 PM »
Hell your so smart, I think you ought to run for President.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:36 PM »
I think anytime the government comes in to make things better..it get's worse.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Well beings we have fished together who the heck are you or at least a hint like where you are from.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2013, 11:02 PM »
fish98, we certainly agree on a couple of things including carp are here to stay.

I've only heard stories of the V. Refuge pre 80's. One thing is for sure, access is not near the adventure it once was. Can't imagine what the bounce was like 40 + years ago.  :)

My opinion is based on personal experience and obviously so is yours. Interested to hear of any solutions you have other than lake renovation for controlling common carp in Sandhill lakes.

dc         

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2013, 12:10 AM »
Now I understand. Exploitation of accessible V. Refuge lakes has changed fish dynamics within the system. And I would agree with that.

Would you be in favor of total C&R on the Valentine Refuge if it meant catching fish like back in the 70's?

dc   

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2013, 01:04 AM »
.Goes to show you how over educated idiots that think they know everything from books don't know s%^&*.

Yup

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2013, 04:32 AM »
Now I understand. Exploitation of accessible V. Refuge lakes has changed fish dynamics within the system. And I would agree with that.

Would you be in favor of total C&R on the Valentine Refuge if it meant catching fish like back in the 70's?

dc

Couldn't agree more and would love to see 100% c&r on the refuge.  If u feel the need to eat some panfish hit the interstate ponds that are very much accessible...nothing wrong with fillets off a 6-7" gill or perch other than not much there but nobody is going complain if dragging limits out of those lakes.  Not to mention they are much easier for G & P to manage due to their location.  I'm also in favor of slot/size limits on pannies on all the Nebraska waters and C&R only on the federal refuges!  If we had large natural lakes like other states I would feel differently but our small few hundred acre lakes just can't handle the fishing pressure put on them with the current regs!  I am convinced that our precious sandhill lakes are only going to decrease in quality and quantity of panfish...regardless of what the controlling authorities doif there isn't some serious changes in possession limits and the sizes of those fish harvested. This whole subject matter saddens me and pi$$es me off.  I really wish there was a way we could convince the ones in control to see the problems that are present!!  If anybody has some intelligent suggestions I'm all ears.
]

Offline PhishOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:07 AM »
I'd love to see a slot limit to make some trophy panfishing opportunities. One gill over 9 and one perch over 12 inches... Mmmmmmm sweet dreams of the elusive 2 pounders!!!
Hard as Ice!!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:00 AM »
Dude.  Maybe they didnt kill ALL the pike and carp on hack.  But i personally find it hard to argue the success of the renovation.  Ive probly only fished it two or three times.since the reno.  But when you go out there and have to park behind the dozens of rigs and you know its getting hit hard dang near every day if ice on.  You know they must have got something right.   You also blame ngfp for exploitative ion and advertising?  Look at the times. The industry is booming with new products like flashers cameras gps augers andhuts and more bells and whistles than most people know what to do with. Ice fishing is advertised more than everbefore. And way easier for most.  Do you think john and joan at the raine motel or many other retailers here in vtown dont love the recreational dollars spent here.  Hate to say it as there are things the gfp do that cause me to wonder but id.be for.a.complete.reno oit there

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Tic addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:08 AM »
I am with ryno and phish on this one as well, I know that I have been told by biolagists that all lakes in nebraska are put and take fisheries, they simply are expected to stock them so that they can be harvested. If this is the case they are lacking doing so in some or one off the most desirable places to fish in our state . If you look at all the stocking reports it seems as though the more populated eastern half of the state receives most of this attention yet these guys from down there would prefer to drive five hours to come out here. There was an individule that renovated and or stocked several lakes out west here 5 to 7 years ago and are allready getting pounded out in a short period of time.
          I would like an explanation on these things here ,  are the vnwr lakes in a cycle where its not been there turn to be stocked ?
are there not enough fish to  put in these lakes ? are they simply spending to much money on needless things such as docks and boat ramps and smooth roads ? ( seems to me that we did just fine with out those things back in the day ) are we going to have nice bathrooms in the near future ?
If so who will be there to use these things if you cant catch fish there ?

Please feel free to comment Daryl,  or who ever may have the answer's to these questions .
"Jiggem"

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:22 AM »
I would love for some of the refuge lakes to be turned into trophy fisheries.   Put size restrictions on several species to grow monster panfish.

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:54 AM »
The idea of Trophy lake would be nice.  It could be possible if people make a grass roots effort to promote the idea.  What are the chances Darrel?

Offline icerules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2013, 07:57 AM »
Well guys just my two cents I have been fishing the nvwr for many years and it started out that you only seen and couple people well times have changed and now many people ice fishing is not as hard core as it used to be with shacks elec and modern tools so back to the question if a bunch of people fish a lake and keep fishing it hard all winter and take there limit and sometime they take more what do you think is going to happen hell I am suprised them lake held up for as long as they did
A day ice fishing is always better than a day at work

Offline anotherfisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:18 AM »
In order to recruit more people to the great outdoors accessibility has been marked as one of the key factors.  I may not have been fishing the refuge as long as many of you but in my short 15 years of being up there the accessibility of the lakes as drastically changed.  15 years ago 4 wheel drive was needed.  Now we see vans and cars back in the there all the time.  Thus increasing the amount of people using the resource.  There have always been articles about the refuge lakes.  Go back through old Nebraskaland magazines and you will see the evidence.  One of the biggest contributors to the spread of information are internet forums such as this one.  There will always be people exploitng the resource and this issue is just going to get worse.  I am in favor of a slot or total catch and release for the refuge lakes or even cycle the lakes as catch and release for two years on one lake then change.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.