New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Tip-up help needed  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip-up help needed
« on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:50 PM »
I've got several tip-ups, a little of this, a little of that (some Gold, Frabill and others without names). None of them seam to be working right. They don't trip easily. My baits are frequently robbed without the flag tripping. I've tried cleaning, loosening, etc. Any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas would be gratefully accepted. No budget to buy a bunch of new ones. Gotta make due.
Thanks.

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip-up help needed
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:02 PM »
The reel spin freely? Is the trigger mechanism both top and bottom catch properky have had some needing a slight bending back in to alignment
It's close

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:04 PM »
bASICALLY, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PLAY AROUND AND ADJUST THE TRIPPING ARMS.  SUGGEST YOU BRING THE TIPUPS INSIDE YOUR HOUSE AND PLAY WITH THEM WHILE YOU'RE WARM & COMFORTABLE (NOT OUT ON THE ICE).  BENDING THE ARM SLIGHTLY AND CHECKING FOR FLAG RELEASE EACH TIME SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Give them to charity and buy a Flasher with a few jigging rods...end of problem ;)
AW

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:22 PM »
make sure your line is wrapped up tight and evenly or else that could be your problem

Offline fshlvr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:12 PM »
Check the nuts holding the reel on..might be too tight. Should spin fairly easy. Also check the tripping arm on the reel

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:35 AM »
Could be a number of different reasons....Check the trip wire on the wooden cross styles....in the tube is the grease to make it turn smoothly....that could be full of dirt, or a high temp grease that gets stiff in the cold....I have gone to stripping all the grease out and using a powder graphite...with a silicone spray....seems to work very well even when extremely cold....Never had much problem with pike, but trout don't like a stiff release...Also a trip wire style like 40-ups cheaper style doesn't always trip the flag...where you hook the flag spring to the trip rod itself...I like the style that pushes the flag spring off a catch...That too can get rusted a little and a sharp flag spring will not slide on it smoothly....a little sand paper and some lube will help that.....with a flat style tip up I have fished with a number of guys who use them....They all seem to use more weight than I do.....they say if the bait is allowed to swim way to the side under the tip up it doesn't always trip right...the line arm may not be swiveling well.......or just the grease in the tube is getting stiff....Hope you get it figured out and start catching those bait stealers!!

Offline buckfordave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 04:45 AM »
are u using underwaters?

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 AM »
I use Frabill Arctic Fire tipups and catch the usual predators on them. Use subzero lube. Remove old and fill up the tube. My buddy uses the same tipups to catch crappie and perch as well.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:07 AM »
Some tip ups have line guides if you dont rest the line in the guide the line will just freespool..
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline helling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:03 AM »
I use Frabill Arctic Fire tipups and catch the usual predators on them. Use subzero lube. Remove old and fill up the tube. My buddy uses the same tipups to catch crappie and perch as well.

Yes this is the answer to your problem...buy some grease and take them apart...i do it to mine every year and it keeps them in top shape...most old tip ups that haven't had this done to them will freeze up the extreme cold.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:12 AM »
I've got several tip-ups, a little of this, a little of that (some Gold, Frabill and others without names). None of them seam to be working right. They don't trip easily. My baits are frequently robbed without the flag tripping. I've tried cleaning, loosening, etc. Any CONSTRUCTIVE ideas would be gratefully accepted. No budget to buy a bunch of new ones. Gotta make due.
Thanks.
what type of fish are in your lake? my tipups are super sensitive still get robbed by peckers small perch and crabbies will suck the bait offa treble hook,till you hook the minnie so they have to eat it or use bigger minnies.if you reverse engineer your problem start at the beggining is the string wraped on in the right direction?some tipups can only spool one way? wiil elaborate if more answers needed
GOD BLESS YOU
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline SPO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:45 AM »
cograts ;D

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Give them to charity and buy a Flasher with a few jigging rods...end of problem ;)
AW
right on ,you can keep moving till you find the fish with jigging[tip ups are harder for me to keep moving]
my hands get cold real fast,plus all the stuff
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:47 PM »
The reel spin freely? Is the trigger mechanism both top and bottom catch properky have had some needing a slight bending back in to alignment

Spins a little stiff. No triggering arms, no catches. Just a rod that spins and releases the flag.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 PM »
bASICALLY, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PLAY AROUND AND ADJUST THE TRIPPING ARMS.  SUGGEST YOU BRING THE TIPUPS INSIDE YOUR HOUSE AND PLAY WITH THEM WHILE YOU'RE WARM & COMFORTABLE (NOT OUT ON THE ICE).  BENDING THE ARM SLIGHTLY AND CHECKING FOR FLAG RELEASE EACH TIME SHOULD SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM.

No tripping arms. Just a rod. See above

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:49 PM »
AW

As stated, new equipment not in the budget.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:50 PM »
make sure your line is wrapped up tight and evenly or else that could be your problem

Thanks. Haven't thought of that. I'll check that.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:51 PM »
Check the nuts holding the reel on..might be too tight. Should spin fairly easy. Also check the tripping arm on the reel

Spins stiff. Nuts (on some) are not adjustable (welded). No tripping arms.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Could be a number of different reasons....Check the trip wire on the wooden cross styles....in the tube is the grease to make it turn smoothly....that could be full of dirt, or a high temp grease that gets stiff in the cold....I have gone to stripping all the grease out and using a powder graphite...with a silicone spray....seems to work very well even when extremely cold....Never had much problem with pike, but trout don't like a stiff release...Also a trip wire style like 40-ups cheaper style doesn't always trip the flag...where you hook the flag spring to the trip rod itself...I like the style that pushes the flag spring off a catch...That too can get rusted a little and a sharp flag spring will not slide on it smoothly....a little sand paper and some lube will help that.....with a flat style tip up I have fished with a number of guys who use them....They all seem to use more weight than I do.....they say if the bait is allowed to swim way to the side under the tip up it doesn't always trip right...the line arm may not be swiveling well.......or just the grease in the tube is getting stiff....Hope you get it figured out and start catching those bait stealers!!

Not that type of tip-up. No wooden cross arms. Plastic or wood base, reel is under water, to a rod that spins, releasing the flag. Already cleaned and greased. Maybe used the wrong grease I'll check that. No tube on these. Solid rod. Line arm doesn't swivel on a couple. Permanant.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:56 PM »

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:56 PM »

No tube. Solid rod.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Some tip ups have line guides if you dont rest the line in the guide the line will just freespool..

Doesn't free spool. Doesn't spool well at all.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Yes this is the answer to your problem...buy some grease and take them apart...i do it to mine every year and it keeps them in top shape...most old tip ups that haven't had this done to them will freeze up the extreme cold.

Already done. Didn't help.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:01 PM »
what type of fish are in your lake? my tipups are super sensitive still get robbed by peckers small perch and crabbies will suck the bait offa treble hook,till you hook the minnie so they have to eat it or use bigger minnies.if you reverse engineer your problem start at the beggining is the string wraped on in the right direction?some tipups can only spool one way? wiil elaborate if more answers needed
GOD BLESS YOU
mo

I fish several lakes. I fish for all types of fish. I think they are spooled correctly, but I'll have to double check that one.
Bless you, TOO!
Thanks

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:01 PM »

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:02 PM »
right on ,you can keep moving till you find the fish with jigging[tip ups are harder for me to keep moving]
my hands get cold real fast,plus all the stuff
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I jig as well as use traps.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2013, 09:05 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check on those ideas tomorrow.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:58 AM »
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check on those ideas tomorrow.
if you could post a pick of your trap might help give you some better advise

Offline kcw989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:37 AM »
Some pictures will deff. help, a lot of guys on here are pretty smart and im sure if you show them the exact tip-up's they can give you the most common problems and go from there...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.