The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Luna and the rain  (Read 440 times)

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
Luna and the rain
« on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:18 AM »
I was going to head out today, but this d@#m winter storm is coming through and bringing rain. What's this going to do to the ice? I have a flipover so I don't care about fishing in the rain. I just don't want to go out on a safe ice, then two hours later it washes away.

So how bad does freezing rain effect the ice?

Offline Perchand Destroy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Luna and the rain
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:41 AM »
If there is more than a couple of inches of ice the rain will not affect it. One year we had 20+ inches of ice and we got 3” of rain in a winter storm. All you could see is water when looking out over the lake. One of the eeriest experiences I ever had ice fishing was driving out on that lake with water on top. It felt like you were driving on open water. Kind of the same feeling you get hanging on the side of a building or looking over a cliff. Drilling holes was an experience.

Once the rain freezes up the ice will be slicker than dog snot and you will need crampons to get around without falling down and breaking a hip.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
Re: Luna and the rain
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 AM »
That's crazy! Even knowing there was 20" of ice, I'm not sure I'd go on the ice covered in that much water.

Hopefully the weather guys are wrong about the coming 50+ degree temps!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.