The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: So I bought the ION Ice Auger  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
So I bought the ION Ice Auger
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Well not like I needed its more like I just wanted it.. So I have to say this is definitely a step in the right direction. I mean think about it this way engine upgrades a thing of the past, No need to upgrade the planetary gears just the battery. This is of course if the manufacture improves the batteries and makes them to be backwards compatible with the older units. I'm going to try it this weekend and see how it works, im sure there will be plenty of people wanting to give it a go so I will see how many holes it really can drill.
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline 200fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: So I bought the ION Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:14 PM »
Oh, boy!!! We have another toy to play with... ;D :icefish:
"Indecision may or may not be my problem"  -Jimmy Buffett

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Im considering it with my tax return..
They look nice, and re so light....
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Oh, boy!!! We have another toy to play with... ;D :icefish:

lmao yes we do..tell you what Sunday you can try it out

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:37 PM »
and wouldn't you know it when I got home Sunday and plugged my camera into the charger and charged it. the camera crapped out on me, Marcum has it now and its getting repaired. I was planing on using it this Sunday, o well.

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:39 PM »
It looks nice but only 40 holes is not enough for me I need something from 60 to 70 holes.

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:48 PM »
It looks nice but only 40 holes is not enough for me I need something from 60 to 70 holes.

Its not going to replace the gas or propane motor just yet but who knows what battery technology will come in the future? you might see 100 holes with the right battery, but they have to keep the battery weight down to be able to market it. I am sure if  you mounted a 12 volt deep cycle battery to it and brought the weight up to 60lbs you would get 300 holes + but that will never sell.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:19 PM »
ME TOO!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline ctownfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:52 PM »
My buddy got the propane jiffy this year it's amazing. We are still running on the first one pound tank a d are over 100 holes easy. Including the trip up to nh when it's was -25 and it blew through 25 holes in no time at all. 

Good luck whatever you decide!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:55 PM »

I found a clip on youtube showing how you could use the extension to bolt up a lazer auger instead of the stock one, in that case a 6" which would allow for more holes drilled per charge.  Good stuff.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:01 AM »

Thats 40 holes thru 2 feet of ice.

Dont remember the last time i saw 2 feet of ice in MA.

Heres a vid of Blaine from CTO drilling 97 holes in 8in of ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngA5Da7_56A

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:07 AM »
ME TOO!!!
Come to the Northern Challenge on Feb. 2.   We are giving one away!
Mike

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:31 AM »
My buddy got the propane jiffy this year it's amazing. We are still running on the first one pound tank a d are over 100 holes easy. Including the trip up to nh when it's was -25 and it blew through 25 holes in no time at all. 

Good luck whatever you decide!

After driling with that Jiffy last weekend there is no way I would take a ion over it, the jiffy rips.  Quiet, starts easy amd literally destroys ice!

Offline elevatorman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Cynical people make bad friends.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:34 AM »
I'll  put  that to the test  on Sunday  :thumbsup:
A Country boy can Survive.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:07 AM »
After driling with that Jiffy last weekend there is no way I would take a ion over it, the jiffy rips.  Quiet, starts easy amd literally destroys ice!

Jiffy weighs about 36lbs (empty), Ion weighs 22lbs. Wait till you gotta drag/carry that extra 15lbs worth of auger thru a foot of snow, to do the same job, for the same price.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Oh man bait I better put my skirt on and use that ion the extra 14#'s might break me on the ice!!   :P

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 AM »
I guess I'm just true to me being old school (or as my wife would say, stubborn)... The smell of gas and hearing the auger fart and poop to get warmed up, ahh yes... It just seems right to me!   :cookoo:
I bust Butchy54 on his just 'cause it's butchy54  ;D but they seam to be catching on.... that's good, they'll continue to improve them!  Good luck with it!

Did you happen the get the margarita attachement?   ;D
(couldn't resist....)

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:28 AM »
I watched the youtube vids of this thing. Not really that impressed. Im sticking with my nils

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:30 AM »
Oh man bait I better put my skirt on and use that ion the extra 14#'s might break me on the ice!!   :P

15 lbs is alot when your pulling that thing all day thru snow, up hill, etc..

Im also a mobile fisherman. So every time i move im still dragging it.

I got an older Jiffy 30 and it weighs in the 30s. I dred having to drag that thing around.

To give you an idea, it weighs more than my flip over, which is about 28lbs empty..

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:30 AM »
and wouldn't you know it when I got home Sunday and plugged my camera into the charger and charged it. the camera crapped out on me, Marcum has it now and its getting repaired. I was planing on using it this Sunday, o well.

You just upgraded your auger... whay stop there!???  maybe you should get the new gas powered camera and marcum... they come in 4 cycle now... no mixing gas  ;D

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:36 AM »
15 lbs is alot when your pulling that thing all day thru snow, up hill, etc..

Im also a mobile fisherman. So every time i move im still dragging it.

I got an older Jiffy 30 and it weighs in the 30s. I dred having to drag that thing around.

To give you an idea, it weighs more than my flip over, which is about 28lbs empty..

Yeah I'm a lazy pike chaser, no honestly I didnt find the jiffy to be cumbersome, it was quiet and the torque of the 4 stroke was awesome!

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2013, 08:37 AM »

I agree but that's not what the ION is trying to compete with.. Just FYI  I own a propane jiffy and also a Nills and a Eskimo Z-71 Viper So I know what each model has for pros and cons. The jiffy is awesome but it is heavy, but you still are dealing with a internal combustion engine. my post was just trying to put out the pros on the ION. you are dealing with a zero maintenance Ice Auger other than charging a battery, and my point in posting was when the manufacture makes advances in battery design I would hope it would be backwards compatible. So the ION could be upgraded to the new battery and performance.

I never understand the point in how fast a ice auger drills a hole? it takes you more time to set up your tips up than to drill any of your holes. I would never rate a ice auger on speed but rather on features. my nills absolutely rocks but has a god awful break through with the 8 inch bit and wobbles like crazy when you spin it. The tanaka motor is awesome but the drill bits are hand augers converted to power so I think the focus of center point balance is not considered.

I will be trying out the ION this weekend to see how it cuts and what the break through is like.

Offline Poot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:00 AM »
I'll be very eager to see how you like it. I was toying with the idea of picking one up about 2 months ago but instead picked up a never used 2011 model Strike Lite II (which is nice machine). But, I did like the idea of a lightweight  battery machine. And, I am with you in that I could care less if it takes 5 seconds or 12 seconds to drill a hole. I had a bit of trouble with the price tag (mainly because it was the Christmas season) and paid significantly less for the Strike Lite.

Hopefully it is worth every penny and let us know how it performs.
It's all ball bearings these days......

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Yah if i get one Ill prolly wait till end of the season or next year and see if any are on craigslist/ebay.

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I have one too.  Been doing about 60 holes a day without the battery registering a lower charge.  that has been 6 inch ice though.  Again though, I drill 100 holes max and i haven't seen ice over 12-15 inches in the past few years.  Price is high though, but you can get 100 dollars off it at Dicks if you use a 20% off coupon (like i did) until they add this brand to the exclusions which i think is just an oversight on their part. 

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:37 AM »
I have one too.  Been doing about 60 holes a day without the battery registering a lower charge.  that has been 6 inch ice though.  Again though, I drill 100 holes max and i haven't seen ice over 12-15 inches in the past few years.  Price is high though, but you can get 100 dollars off it at Dicks if you use a 20% off coupon (like i did) until they add this brand to the exclusions which i think is just an oversight on their part.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like it will work just fine in our neck of the woods. Its been a long time since I seen 24 inches of ice where I fish. Normal has been 6 to 13 so the ION should do just fine.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM »
Thanks for the info, it sounds like it will work just fine in our neck of the woods. Its been a long time since I seen 24 inches of ice where I fish. Normal has been 6 to 13 so the ION should do just fine.
anyone drive a 10" bit on one these things?  I like big holes!  (now, now fellas  :nono: - be nice)

My 10" StrikeMaster Cobra punches a wicked nice hole.... that when I fish out of an 8 or 6" hole... I get claustrophobia! 

Flaggs!

Offline PeterSaloom

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:41 AM »
You know what doesn't run out of batteries, weighs less, and probably drills holes faster?

A 6" Nils Master.  :P :tipup:
Cheers,

Pete

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:03 AM »
You know what doesn't run out of batteries, weighs less, and probably drills holes faster?

A 6" Nils Master.  :P :tipup:

Or fit a 20lb pike thru  =)

Offline Capt.Dana

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Haverhill, MA.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2013, 12:45 PM »
My 10 1/4" Strikemaster weighs 28lbs and drills until out of fuel. I don't see any advantage to go electric.

Do you own a cordless drill?
How does the battery treat you after you haven't used it for a while? (yea just what I thought)
I pratice fillet and release!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.