Author Topic: Lightweight power augers?  (Read 2622 times)

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lightweight power augers?
« on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:27 AM »
Was out of the ice fishing game last winter due to back injury, and had to have surgery this past Oct for it so Im still not 100%. Looking to punch a few holes and get back in the game but I have a delimma. For holes, rightnow I have one of two choices.

-a 6" Nils hand-auger that is brand new, bought before last winter's back problems. Unfortunately, Im a little nervous about using any hand auger as I might be twisting/torquing my back to use it (this is based on the 8" Mora I used to use)

-a 10" Jiffy Model 30, all metal.  Unfortunately, it weighs a ton and lugging it around probably would not be a good idea this winter.  Another thing is I used to like to take in down to 2 pieces to lug out on the ice, the power head and auger. This worked fine to get it out there, but after fishing & drilling a bunch, at the end of the day the power head shaft would be "seized" into the auger side and it would take a bunch of pounding and pulling to get them back apart. Again, not good for me right now. I tried greasing the auger head shaft and it didnt really help. (Not to mention my ATV is down for the winter so I'll be pulling a sled anyway...)

So I would like to know if anyone has positive reccomendations for a lightweight power auger?  My budget can go as high as $4-500 for a good auger. I saw the new IONs at Kittery TP for $450, but buying a first year model of anything worries me as they have not been real-world tested yet...

Thanks.... Id like to get out there at least a few times, but want to minimize any chances of re-injurying my back. The last year has been pretty hellish...  :-\

Paul

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Lightweight power augers?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your back. I hope you stay on the road to recovery.

You lay out alot of good examples to potentially hurt yourself again.

Your right about the 1st year model thing too, I waited before I went with the propane auger which they corrected the propane line. Glad I did too instead of dealing with the hassle.

Another option is to buddy up with someone and have them do the drilling for you.

I don't know where your fishing but I'm sure if it was Newfound it wouldn't be a problem getting holes drilled.

Good luck to you and be safe. Back problems are bad.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Hey Paul,
Should of just called me... Id let you use my ATV and it has the Auger Caddy on it, you can just ride it around and punch holes all day long.

Give me a call and we can discuss, I hope you are feeling better.

-Scott

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 AM »
You can adapt your nils to run off a battery powered drill and get good results, need 18v, or larger,1/2 in drive drill several extra batts. should be able to get a dozen or more holes per batt. adaptor shafts are available from fish 307 or fish usa, they can also set you up with a safety rig to keep auger from falling into hole when it come loose from drill chuck.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:50 AM »
Hey Paul,
Should of just called me... Id let you use my ATV and it has the Auger Caddy on it, you can just ride it around and punch holes all day long.

-Scott

Winter is just starting!  ;D  You're phone might ring!!!

Seriously, I appreciate the offer Scott and may very well take you up on it. On the other hand, it would be nice to upgrade the old Jiffy 30 anyway if there are lighter, but reliable options nowadays.

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 09:50 AM »
My ION is working great. Where you located? Maybe we could hook up and you could see it in action.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:05 AM »
My ION is working great. Where you located? Maybe we could hook up and you could see it in action.

I read your report(s), which peaked my interest in the ION.

Im in Merrimack.

Offline fishingfool38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:07 AM »
i bought a cheap ht 6 inch hand auger that came with the drill adapter, i used it twice so far, i have a ryobi 18 volt drill that the battery's are getting tired in and i was able to drill about 6 to 8 holes in 6 inches of good ice per battery, this might be a cheap alternative to a gas auger. i was thinking about putting a 150 watt inverter on my atv to plug the ryobi battery charger in to. that way ill allways have a charged battery , seemed to cut through the ice real good and quick. sure beats turning the auger by hand !!!!!!!!
REELAXIN

Offline jrkane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 AM »
http://www.icegator.com/   check these out.  put you 6 inch nils on it. 

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Ion.  I am happy with mine at this point, not fully tested but works great so far, pretty simple machine so should last.  replacement battery 143$, supposed to last for 500 charges.  It weighs 21 pounds I carry it in one hand and the sled in the other.  It is nicely balanced too.

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 AM »
i have a 2HP Jiffy "White Lightning" that cuts a 9" hole.  it's A LOT lighter than the bigger augers...

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Winter is just starting!  ;D  You're phone might ring!!!

Seriously, I appreciate the offer Scott and may very well take you up on it. On the other hand, it would be nice to upgrade the old Jiffy 30 anyway if there are lighter, but reliable options nowadays.

you've got the number buddy!!!

I'll be at Greens Pond for the Horseshoe F&G Derby this Saturday if you want to stop by and hang out.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:06 PM »
Tough to find an ION right now...

KTP is down to their floor model, Dicks is sold out...

Place on ebay has 2 of them for $450, but returning would be a beeotch if it has any issues...

:-\

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2013, 12:56 PM »
before i bought anything i would try the nils, dont push down on it, spin it slow and methodically, that six inch will cut way easier than you think.

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:49 PM »
I watched my buddy use his 8" Nils with about zero effort. I was very impressed. If you feel you could punch a few holes with it im pretty sure that would be a great lightweight option.

Offline Oddfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:51 PM »
Tough to find an ION right now...

KTP is down to their floor model, Dicks is sold out...

Place on ebay has 2 of them for $450, but returning would be a beeotch if it has any issues...

:-\

Suds and Soda in Greenland has several of them at the moment, and some really cool guys that work there, support local!  Go get em!

Oddfish
stick around something odd will come out soon.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Suds and Soda in Greenland has several of them at the moment, and some really cool guys that work there, support local!  Go get em!

Oddfish

Thanks Oddfish. I called - they are down to 2 and someone may be by to get one today. If they have any left Sat. AM I might ask them if they can hold it while I drive over. Otherwise, I'll just look for help or use the 6" Nils hand auger this winter.  (which of course will be when I hook something big enough to need an 8 or 10" hole...  :P)

Hopefully for next winter I'll be better prepared with a nice lightweight 8" powerauger, Ion or otherwise...

It was nice when dragging a 10" Model 30 around half the day only left me with a level of pain that a few cold ones would take care of... 43 and feeling like 73...   ::)

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:34 PM »
Thanks Oddfish. I called - they are down to 2 and someone may be by to get one today. If they have any left Sat. AM I might ask them if they can hold it while I drive over. Otherwise, I'll just look for help or use the 6" Nils hand auger this winter.  (which of course will be when I hook something big enough to need an 8 or 10" hole...  :P)

Hopefully for next winter I'll be better prepared with a nice lightweight 8" powerauger, Ion or otherwise...

It was nice when dragging a 10" Model 30 around half the day only left me with a level of pain that a few cold ones would take care of... 43 and feeling like 73...   ::)

i bought the tanaka power head for the nils this year and its light, and the nils blade pretty much pulls it down the hole, its not like my jiffey 30 at all which required work carrying it, work starting it, work drilling with it. im just waiting to see how it starts sub zero but so far its just an incredible auger.

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2013, 02:41 PM »
i bought the tanaka power head for the nils this year and its light, and the nils blade pretty much pulls it down the hole, its not like my jiffey 30 at all which required work carrying it, work starting it, work drilling with it. im just waiting to see how it starts sub zero but so far its just an incredible auger.

Im thinking that may be another option for next season as opposed to the Ion... get the power head with a Nils 8" auger and be able to go back and forth between a 6" (panfish jigging) and 8" for tip-ups/bait.

If you mind me asking - what did yo pay for the power head alone?

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:12 PM »
 :tipup: :tipup: Dubs!!  If your really concerned about your back, the Nils hand auger would be your best bet!!   Requires only shoulder and arm musles and is light so there will be less chance that you will slip and hurt your back!!   If your simply looking for a reason to buy a new power auger than that is a different story ::) ::)  The Nils is a super easy auger for less than 10" of ice!!   Moderate exercise will help your back musles too!

Dick :tipup: :tipup:

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:16 PM »
The tackle shack in Newbury Harbor Lake Sunapee had an Ion 2 weeks ago.  Might want to try them

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:02 PM »
I have the 10" 3hp TANK of a jiffy. Great drill, cuts great never had an issue with it. Got an 8" nils 3 years ago for early season thin ice on foot where I want to be light. Thing works so well I haven't used my jiffy since. It really works waaay better than any other handjob I've tried, fast holes with little effort.   
Same story from my buddies first time.  "Wth didnt you bring your jiffy? Drilling by hand?!" Till they try it. "Wow, this works great!" More work to drag the jiffy around than to drill by hand.
Can't say enough good about it.

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:03 PM »
Hey Paul,

Give me a call and we can discuss, I hope you are feeling better.

-Scott

i tell you what...I used it last weekend, and that thing is SWEET!!! ;D
Henry

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 PM »
The Nils with powerhead and 8" 42"bit will be the same weight as the ion, the only issue I have with the Ion is battery life and battery cost.... Say a Nils is $700 with a spare cutting head, the Ion with spare battery will be more but how long will the battery last is the question. My experience useing Ion battery tools at work is 2 years tops...I know of 30+ year old Tanaks still running like new with little to no maintenece...Personaly I love my Nills/Tanaka set up the Ion is neat but dont care for the short shaft on it that will require you to bend down in deeper ice, my Nils never gets below my waist even in 30" so ne bending needed...

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2013, 05:28 PM »
buy your own Tanaka powerhead, pick what size suits you....weld up a little half inch rod, cut your hand auger to fit, jam into chuck and weld home.....they last about five to ten years before the rings or carbs need rebuild...we fish everyday, been building our own for many years now....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:00 PM »
I know someone earlier suggested the ice gator...I'll second that. A good amount if $....but worth it I think. Much lighter than gas auger and holds quite a charge. I've had one for three plus years and no problems. I read on another post that YoAdrien had a couple in stock too...
TP

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:03 PM »
The Nils with powerhead and 8" 42"bit will be the same weight as the ion, the only issue I have with the Ion is battery life and battery cost.... Say a Nils is $700 with a spare cutting head, the Ion with spare battery will be more but how long will the battery last is the question. My experience useing Ion battery tools at work is 2 years tops...I know of 30+ year old Tanaks still running like new with little to no maintenece...Personaly I love my Nills/Tanaka set up the Ion is neat but dont care for the short shaft on it that will require you to bend down in deeper ice, my Nils never gets below my waist even in 30" so ne bending needed...
Got a 12" extension with mine when i bought it but to each their own. I'm 5'8 so i wont have a problem using a shorter auger. As a matter of fact, thats one of the things i like about it. With the short seasons we have in PA, my ION battery will last me 10 years before i'll have to replace it. And even if i bought an extra one, it wouldn't total $700 for my unit. Thats a lot of negative talk from someone that doesn't even own one. I'm just sayin.  ::) Maybe you should try one. You might like it and upgrade.

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Ya, I forgot to mention it does come with 12" extension. Once you push the button it just pulls down through the ice and very smooth breaking thru unlike our Jiffy that gets that torquey little hang up just before going thru.  As far as the battery goes at 500 charges that is a lot of days fishing! By the time I need to replace the battery in 5-7 years they may be dirt cheap or the next latest and greatest thing will be out. It suits the way we fish and a good chunk of the season fishing on 2 trap lakes it's not about quantity but more like quality @)

We'll be a the Great East Derby if anyone wants a test drive ;)  We may also be there this weekend on Sunday. I'll test the battery after we setup. Should be 12" of ice were we will be. I'll drill holes till the battery dies and see how many we get. I have a feeling the area may be a little unsafe from so many holes ;D  I'm thinking 70-80 holes.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:20 AM »
I've used an echo gas tree tapper for 4 years now and won't use another.  Total weight is about 16lbs and it cuts like crazy.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline Troutg54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:46 AM »
I am seeing a chiropactor/PT for a lower back issue one or two times a week right now, but am able to creep onto the ice in certain places.  I fished with my new ION on Monday, and all I can say is "wonderful!"   It was easy to carry, drilled 24 holes with it, and still had plenty of juice for more if I wanted.  But best of all there was no yanking on a cord, and it did not seem to want to twist and catch (thus doing bad things to my back) like my Jiffy used to occationally.  I am sure they will make some improvements in the next few years on this thing, but right now, my opinion is it's near perfect. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.