The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trying to buy a flipover shanty  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
Trying to buy a flipover shanty
« on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:55 PM »
Hello, everyone.  I'm new to the site.  I have been going through the frustrations of trying to purchase a new flipover shanty.  I have looked at several, but the Shappell FX's keep bringing me back.  I like the sled size and, more so, not having telescoping poles.  I do go by myself, but generally people go with me who don't have much in a way of ice fishing equipment, which is also frustrating.  As a result, I am leaning towards a 2-man (my back isn't happy with me for this decision).  I have researched enough to discover the existence of Smitty Sled's, which will built right away.  The problem is finding a local dealer of the shanty, which I can't, or getting destroyed on shipping.  Does anyone know if there are any Western PA dealers of the Shappell's, or comparable, recommended shanties?  Or, as we move closer to February and start seeing sales, are there times that the shipping costs are lessened by any retailers?

By the way, great to be a part of the site.  It is clear that you all have a wealth of knowledge on this sport.  Sorry, for the rant and thanks for the help!

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trying to buy a flipover shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:06 PM »
are you dead set on a flip over ? i got a shappell s3000 and it does fit two large guys in it i weight 450 and dad weight about 350. any ways there were two guy on the lake in a clam flip the other day a nanook flip and he could not even fit the other guy in it it. the fit was that tight and that guy was about 6 foot and 230 lbs each guy. if building a smithy sled i would get a s3000 but that just me it would fit more people but if realy wanting a flip try this link you may have to copy paste it to the browser tool bar. this is a list of dealer manufacture in p.a. any how sorry to hear your problem of finding one and wish you the best of luck.

http://www.shappell.com/pennsylvaniadealers.html

Offline chaddy721

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wack em n stack em!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:25 PM »
slam,
 route 66 sporting goods in clarion,pa has a 3000dx on their floor as of last week. just get a clam and be done. youll have your sled and flip over..their was also a good deal on a frabill on pittsburghs craiglist. heres the link.http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/spo/3504008723.html.
id buy it buy i allready have a new yukon tc.

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:08 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I am fairly set on a flipover for quick set up.  I have fished quite a bit out of a pop up shanty, but like having the option of packing and moving a little quicker.  I had looked on the dealer link of the Shappell website for the PA, NY, and OH, and called some of the dealers who were located some what nearby.  No luck, or I would have to drive a fair distance.  In that case, the fuel cancels out the shipping. 

I am aware of the Route 66 Sporting Goods store.  Outstanding place.  I will take a look at the frabill on craigslist.  Again, thanks for the quick feedback.  It is much appreciated!

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:17 AM »
You are right about the flipovers and the setup issue.. much quicker to move.....and the shappell 1.5dx, is a choice I made a couple yrs ago, and I love it... alot of room (fish 4 holes outta mine.)....I like the shappell's. I had the 3000dx, before I got my 1.5dx... and I liked it too...just didn't care to set up all that stuff..all the time...

ICE REBEL

« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2013, 07:54 AM »
The best flip over shelters you will find are made by Clam... Check into those

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I am fairly set on a flipover for quick set up.  I have fished quite a bit out of a pop up shanty, but like having the option of packing and moving a little quicker.  I had looked on the dealer link of the Shappell website for the PA, NY, and OH, and called some of the dealers who were located some what nearby.  No luck, or I would have to drive a fair distance.  In that case, the fuel cancels out the shipping. 

I am aware of the Route 66 Sporting Goods store.  Outstanding place.  I will take a look at the frabill on craigslist.  Again, thanks for the quick feedback.  It is much appreciated!

have you tried dicks sporting goods  in pa i knwo there are several in michigan but none carry shappell on their web site they list a shappell fx200 so keep it in mind i know dicks sucks totaly but one some ware mite have one in stock...  i never carefor the pop up like the hub style either the s3000 is a breif case but you are right it is faster to move around in a flip over.  that why i asked  so try dickssports.com and find a couple reatil store on the store finder and call them. see if they even stock one to look at i got my frabil one man recon at one. i do not care for frabills tent fabric 300d  comparde to shappells 600d and clams 600d. the only one that tops them on thickness is otter out doors i have heard mixed bags about otter some love and hate stories so i am partial to them. i am a shappell man threw and threw live in michigan  maybe that why lol's! any ways wish you the best of luck hope you find what your looking for.   

Offline IrishSlabHunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IrishSlabHunter
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Ditto what Chukkrok said. I also have a Shappell 1.5 and love it. After buying mine I also helped assemble 4 more in my garage and everyone like them. Plenty of room when set up and enough storage room for equipment. I'll PM you a dealer you need to contact.

Offline onestring

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:36 PM »
i got a clam nanook and and an older shapell suitcase get a clam take out seats use ur own lighter and more room i love my clam oh yea im 6-4 230 i fish with friends and gear all the time

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Check the Shappell site. I got a Rover 1.5 shipped to my house in Pa from Shappell for a $30 ship charge 2 years ago??

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Slam, Try Gander Mtn or Dicks up in Erie, right by the mall. Or, maybe Froggies up by Wilhelm has a flip over? I have not been there yet this year. I have a two man clam. I only take it now when I think I might use it. Welcome to IS.

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I did contact Shappell earlier and they suggested looking for a local dealer because of shipping.  I believe that GM in Erie did have the Nanooks earlier this year.  Haven't been up that way steelhead fishing for awhile, but need to get up there.  It would be nice to get on Presque Isle, as well.  I didnt' think of Froggie's.  Thanks again.  I will keep you posted on my search.

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:45 PM »
I bought an FX 100 earlier this year and I love it. I've only had the chance to use it a few times but it is super lightweight and convenient to set up. The wider front gives you a lot of extra room. I bought mine at Cabela's in Wheeling.

Offline nite eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Sunsab Itch!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:29 PM »
I also got the FX100 and it's great!  Only thing is you need a back rest - I use an old stadium seat and my buddy uses a boat seat.  Light weight, roomy, and a quality shanty. In my opinion it's the best bang for your buck. Check into Bass Pro Shops, I think it may be on sale and possible FREE shipping!
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2013, 03:19 AM »
I got the 1.5 for $198 with $18 shipping cabelas

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2013, 07:12 AM »
The best flip over shelters you will find are made by Clam... Check into those
i got a clam flipover for christmas from my kids. had it out on WHITEOAKS yesterday in that wind.lots of stitching came loose on that velcro around the flip bars.i have to sew it back together before saturday.MAYBE IT WAS TOO WINDY? my 2 sons were in a cabelas hub no damage to that at all.i like the portability of the flip overs. good luck.

Offline fishinpreacher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Not sure if this would interest you, but just after Christmas I purchased a Frabill Adventurer 2 man flip over for $200 from Cabela's in Wheeling, WV, and so far I love it. It doesn't come with built in seats, just some camp chairs but it is roomy and comfortable and light. I think the price was in store only though, so depending on where you are at, it might not be feasible for you.

BTW I called Frabill to see see if it is possible to purchase and install a seat(s) in it and they said yes, as long as you reinforce the front lip of the base with some pipe.

Also, on the fishusa web site there is a guy near Pittsburgh selling a clam 2 man for I think $200 (Just FYI)
Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.
God bless.

Offline Slam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:26 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys.  I didn't have time to really check any of these avenues out today.  Hope to do so tonight and tomorrow night.  Your quick input and time is greatly appreciated. 

I am going to take on look on Craigslist, tonight, but would prefer to purchase one that is new.  I had not looked much at the Frabill's, but will take a look at them.

I was leaning towards the bigger shanties because I generally have someone tagging along, and I already have a flasher and camera.  I always felt it was more important to be able to find fish than be comfortable  :).  Having fished in a shanty, it was alot easier to focus on the flasher and camera in the dark environment and detect light strikes when sheltered from the wind. 

I will let you know how my search is going, but it may be put on hold to actually do more fishing this week.  Hope to see some of you out.  Am going to try and hit Arthur Wednesday, or Thursday night, depending on work.

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2013, 05:30 PM »
Take a look at the otter wild 1 man. Seems to be a real nice rig. I have the wild lodge. A ton of room and built like that proverbially brick shiznit house  ;D
Look at me I can walk on water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.