Author Topic: Hunting blind shanty  (Read 730 times)

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hunting blind shanty
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:03 AM »
Has anyone tried using one of those "Doghouse " style blinds for a shanty? I was thinking, that if you used some conduit or old tent poles and ran them along the bottom and through the anchor points on the corners. It might stay put, unless it's really windy. They're light and pack up pretty quick. Just curious.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Hunting blind shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:28 AM »
my buddy thought it was a good idea but didnt anchor his down and it blew up around his neck one time and another  time blew from where we were fishing almost back to the boat launch.he didnt like it that much.

Offline hntfsh09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:49 AM »
You can do it, it just isn't ideal.  I have a portable blind on our pond at home, it works ok and many blinds have all the anchoring stuff you need, just swap the stakes with lag screws and a power drill.  The biggest downsides are that the windows don't seal as well, there is no snow skirt to bank snow on, and often times they don't have as much space as you think. 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2013, 02:46 PM »
My brother tried one and ditched it after the first outing. He about froze. As stated the breeze came rolling in the windows and he could have just as well been outside on a bucket.

WS

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:12 AM »
They get a lot of use around here. If it's real windy they get tied down with a few ice anchors. They're good lightweight, inexpensive alternatives.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.