The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Gull?  (Read 12731 times)

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Gull?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:42 PM »
I have never fished for smelt in my life and all this talk of it makes me want to try it. Any recommendations on how to get started?
  Small jigs, hali's are a favorite.  One spike for bait.  A spring bobber helps.  Sink a light down a hole not too far from the hole you are fishing and turn on your flasher.    Once the ice gets thicker there will be TONS of people out there on the weekend nights.  Most are very helpful.

Offline RodBreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a RodBreaker!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 19, 2013, 12:07 AM »
Thanks Splash. I see yer from Genesee county. I just moved to Davison, we should hit the hardwater in the area sometime.
"Never trust a man who doesn't hunt or fish."

Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:27 AM »
Hey Smeltbuster, Sorry to here about your troubles :( were you able to check how much ice their was ??? And are you still walking in at South end or can you get on at Hair Solon??

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:13 AM »
Walked in from the south end.Probably 2 1/2"-3 1/2" of ice where they fish.No one went on from the salon Fri. night while I was there,but I suspect some will try it tonight.There were a couple of kids out skating ,a little north of the salon though.The walk from the south end isnt too bad right now,just takes a few extra minutes.One thing to let ya know: when you get out to the new ice line,there is all kinds of busted up ice that refroze.Its solid but it sure looks scary to walk on( I waited a few minutes before I finally walked on it) .Someone posted a pic. somewhere on a post here ,a week or so ago of some busted up & refrozen ice,& thats exactly what it looks like out there.I'm sure there will be tons of people out there tonight.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Thanks Smeltbuster for report :) :) I don't think i will make it tonight, but planning on Sunday night. Yeah i remember that picture. I will have to look you up next time I'm out there.

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Just talked to my dad.... Think we lost alotta ice on the main lake.... Good thing we got some cold comin soon....
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2013, 11:54 AM »
I sure hope we get a major cold snap,its not looking good  for the entire lake to be fishable this year.The boat launch at the north end still has open water out in front ,for about 50 yds. out. My son just called & said its wide open & full of geese in front of the country club & out into most of the center of the lake.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:25 PM »
ill be on the ice by 6 tonight..hope to slay them!

Offline RodBreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a RodBreaker!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:15 PM »
Give us a report 187 of what the ice looks like eh?

Teddy Roosevelt

Offline pillman55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:45 PM »
Hey Splash, ever fish Nepessing?

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2013, 09:25 PM »
Got 2 specks..no smelt ice in 1st bay has 1/2"soft top ice 1/2" water 3" good ice..out by 2nd bay 15 shanties on the broken up refroze section 3- 31/2" soft sinking ice..they were sittin in water we set up on edge and left after 10 mins..ice was cracking and sinking..someone will get wet there tonight! In the makeshift smeltville in 15fow..good luck and hope ur not the wetone!!

Offline stevenmang85

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bluegill?
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:03 PM »
I bet its a nightmare out there right now... Hahah
gilliams and smeltzillas

Offline RodBreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a RodBreaker!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:24 PM »
Planned on going out there in the morning will it be all right in the AM.

Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:41 AM »
Does anyone have ice and smelt report on 2nd south bay? Was planning on smelting Sunday night :-\ Thanks..

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2013, 06:32 AM »
Sucks for those who tried to brave the wind last night. Boy was it nasty.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:17 AM »
I was thinking of going out tonight for smelt anyone know if things are any better today than yesterday?

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2013, 08:55 AM »
Sunday: Cloudy, windy and cold with lake effect snow showers likely. Highs will be in the upper teens and lower 20s with wind chill factors in the middle single digits. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph.

Sunday Night: Cloudy with lake effect snow showers. Accumulation likely. Lows in the lower to mid teens. Winds WNW at 10-20 mph.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Weather.com is saying 13 mph hour max winds tonight.  I hate weathermen.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:07 AM »
I was spearing yesterday on gull for a couple hours and all i seen was some perch no pike. left at dark.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:29 AM »
Is anyone going smelting tonight :icefish:

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Im thinking about it.  Anyone know what the ice is like that far out?  I am going to show up and check it out for sure but might not stay.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:13 PM »
You will see my brush pile on the hump between the 1st and 2nd bay on the east side there was a good 4inches saw guys out where the new ice is.

Offline Fish Killa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I plan to go out tonight.
I'm not as good as I once was but I am good once as I ever was.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Just talked to a friend that was out there last night,he did not do good at all (5 smelt),he said that about 8:00 p.m. most guys left due to a slow bite.After my trip Friday night,I decided to stay home,this wind sucks ! I will be hittin it hard starting Thurs. night. By then 2nd. bay will be safe. P.S., we are keeping a close eye on the boat launch at the north end & as soon as it freezes we will be checking the ice,daily.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 20, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Does anyone know how much ice is in the new ice section of 2nd bay? Maybe see you out there we are in a Clam Big Foot 2000. ;D

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 20, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Friday night some guys said it was about 2 1/2 thick. Too thin for me !

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2013, 02:44 PM »
Thanks Smeltbuster. That does seem pretty thin :-\. How deep of water were you in?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2013, 03:48 PM »
I dont know,never got set up,but my guess would be about 40'- 50', just north of the shallows between south & 2nd. bay.My friend also said that he heard ice cracking out there,from all the guys being close together I did not hear that when I was out there Friday night,but like I said,I left w/out fishing . drivin me crazy not being able to go tonight,but that 4 letter word...."work" is gettin in the way.

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:47 PM »
Just came off gull saw lots of people ice skating way out in the 2nd bay.

Offline RodBreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a RodBreaker!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 20, 2013, 04:54 PM »
How'd you do out there today?

Teddy Roosevelt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com