Author Topic: Bantam Lake 01/13/13 pike and suprise perch  (Read 5004 times)

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bantam Lake 01/13/13 pike and suprise perch
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:33 PM »
I went up to bantam on sunday because I heard reports of good ice there.  It was me and my buddy darric.  We get there around 7 and find 5-6in of ice.  Very little water on the ice which was a little surprising but I wasn't complaining.  Had a decent day with 6pike caught between us, nothing huge biggest was right around 30inches.  I did however get a nice yellow perch which was cool.  The action died by mid afternoon and we called it quits around 3.  All fish except one were caught on live shiners the other was dead bait slightly off the bottom.  Hope the ice is good for next weekend!!!!

Catch and Release!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bantam Lake 01/13/13 pike and suprise perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:59 PM »
Nice! Try not to put your fingers in the gills like that. Holding them under the pectoral fins or by the gill plate without touching the gills with the other hand supporting the belly is the best way to hold them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Got to love the internet...thanks for the report.  Also to add to what SaxMatt mentions, pike handling with gloves on is a bad thing...

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:26 PM »
I know what your saying but it was a smaller one so I just held it like that normally i support the fish with my second hand.
Catch and Release!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:39 PM »
Just try not to put your fingers in the gills next time, especially if it's a small one. We're just trying to look out for you and the fish. I see lots of pictures of short pike on this forum caught from Bantam which I don't have a problem with, but for anyone who doesn't know the regs here are the rules: nov1-march1 1 pike 36" and march1-opening day you can't target them. Fish under the minimum length are supposed to be released quickly and without avoidable injury.

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:46 PM »
south bay? and do you think it will be fishable saturday?
I live for pike,bass,crappie,pickerel, and anything thats big and swims! Can't go jigging without my vex!

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Just try not to put your fingers in the gills next time, especially if it's a small one. We're just trying to look out for you and the fish. I see lots of pictures of short pike on this forum caught from Bantam which I don't have a problem with, but for anyone who doesn't know the regs here are the rules: nov1-march1 1 pike 36" and march1-opening day you can't target them. Fish under the minimum length are supposed to be released quickly and without avoidable injury.

Ohh I know the rules been fishing bantam for years plus I wouldn't keep a pike if it was 40".  If you go to the launch and look at the posted sign it says nothing about 36in pike only 26in size limit.  I still haven't gotten a 36" there in the winter and I have been fishing there for while now.  I know they are in there but I honestly don't think the huge ones plentiful in there.
Catch and Release!

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Dan do you think it will be fishable? were you in south bay?
I live for pike,bass,crappie,pickerel, and anything thats big and swims! Can't go jigging without my vex!

Offline jigmaster22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:16 PM »

BANTAM LAKE, Morris-Litchfield (947 acres)
NORTHERN PIKE LAKE
• Species: (NP SMB LMB WP CB YP
S BB)
• Northern Pike:
»»May 1–Nov. 30: Daily creel limit—2,
26" minimum length.
»»Dec. 1–last day Feb.: Daily creel
limit—1, 36" minimum length.
»»March 1–April 30: Closed to northern
pike fishing.
• All Other Species: Open year round,

says right in the rule book.... just look

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:18 PM »

I dont know for sure its hard to say but I think it should be fine.  The nights are supposed to be getting cold again.
Catch and Release!

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:19 PM »
BANTAM LAKE, Morris-Litchfield (947 acres)
NORTHERN PIKE LAKE
• Species: (NP SMB LMB WP CB YP
S BB)
• Northern Pike:
»»May 1–Nov. 30: Daily creel limit—2,
26" minimum length.
»»Dec. 1–last day Feb.: Daily creel
limit—1, 36" minimum length.
»»March 1–April 30: Closed to northern
pike fishing.
• All Other Species: Open year round,

says right in the rule book.... just look

Yes I know but you'd think it would be listed at the launch too.  If someone didn't know the rules and looked the dep post at the launch all it says is 26in they might take them home.
Catch and Release!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:29 PM »
Ohh I know the rules been fishing bantam for years plus I wouldn't keep a pike if it was 40".  If you go to the launch and look at the posted sign it says nothing about 36in pike only 26in size limit.  I still haven't gotten a 36" there in the winter and I have been fishing there for while now.  I know they are in there but I honestly don't think the huge ones plentiful in there.

I guess someone needs to update the signs, might have gotten taken down or it's incorrect. Here are the regs:

bAnTAM LAkE, Morris-Litchfield (947 acres) nORThERn pIKE lAKE
Species: (nP SMB LMB WP CB YP S BB)
northern Pike:
» May 1–Nov. 30: Daily creel limit—2, 26" minimum length.
» Dec. 1–last day Feb.: Daily creel limit—1, 36" minimum length.
» March 1–April 30: Closed to northern pike fishing.
All Other Species: Open year round, statewide regulations apply.
Other: Motors prohibited 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Use of internal combustion motors prohibited on the Bantam River between Bantam Lake and the inlet to Little Pond.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:43 PM »

His pictures have the answer, do your homework and you should be able to figure it out.  There are large pike in Bantam, my buddy nails them frequently in open water.   If you are going to target the larger ones use deadbait, large deadbait, it will help cull out those smaller more agressive pike.  Granted you'll see fewer flags go up.

Offline pikePERSUADER1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Northern Pike- all other fish are bait
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:56 PM »
His pictures have the answer, do your homework and you should be able to figure it out.  There are large pike in Bantam, my buddy nails them frequently in open water.   If you are going to target the larger ones use deadbait, large deadbait, it will help cull out those smaller more agressive pike.  Granted you'll see fewer flags go up.
yep, right on, use the biggest deadbaits you can find, 14 inch suckers, goldens, chubs, fallfish @)

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:03 PM »
I will have 4 dead bait rigs and 7 live. :tipup: I found a nice 8 foot weed flat on south bay on the map

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:42 PM »
lowaccord66 that place looks familiar no ?  That sign posted for pike is for open water ( may-Nov dates ) and dan is correct it doesnt list the 36 " rule we all know so well during ice season. I was just there and the board should be updated for people who dont know Bantam Lakes Regs. Nice job getting on the fish guys.

Offline nightshift

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Great pictures and fish saw you catch the perch. It was a long slow day but it paid off for the two of you. The fish all went back so I wouldn't worry about the gloves. Hope to catch you up there again.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:10 AM »
lowaccord66 that place looks familiar no ?  That sign posted for pike is for open water ( may-Nov dates ) and dan is correct it doesnt list the 36 " rule we all know so well during ice season. I was just there and the board should be updated for people who dont know Bantam Lakes Regs. Nice job getting on the fish guys.

I think I may have been there once or twice.  Usually when it looks like this....

Most of my ice fishing for pike is done in mass where the state feeds them trout!

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:12 AM »
I think I may have been there once or twice.  Usually when it looks like this....

(Image removed from quote.)

Most of my ice fishing for pike is done in mass where the state feeds them trout!

dude your killing my secret spot!!!!! ;D
Catch and Release!

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:23 AM »
There are big pike in Bantam, just not as many as there use to be because of the mishandling of fish.

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:01 AM »
There are big pike in Bantam, just not as many as there use to be because of the mishandling of fish.

Your right all those guys holding the fish by their gill plate and killing them.  I haven't seen anything over 40in in years but maybe I'm missing them.
Catch and Release!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Yeah I'd agree, seems very challenging to get one over the 20# mark.  Esox you saying there were a bunch more 20# class fish years ago?  I saw a number of fish over 15# from there. 

Offline jigmaster22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:45 AM »
There are big fish in bantam it’s a big lake, less now like esox said... he is spot on with mishandling of fish
Your right all those guys holding the fish by their gill plate and killing them.  I haven't seen anything over 40in in years but maybe I'm missing them.

It certainly doesn't help the fish the way you’re holding them.  I believe saxmatt was just trying to give you a tip on proper handling, don't have to get offended.  Also I think it was referenced in an earlier post about getting fish back down the hole in a timely fashion so that their eyes don't freeze over.  Too many times pike on bantam are left on the ice for the angler to run back get release tools and or his camera.  Have everything ready to go in one bag.  You might eventually release the fish but its swimming away blind after a few minutes exposed to cold temps.  By all means take your pictures but just be prepared and treat every flag likes it’s the ONE.

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:58 AM »
There are big fish in bantam it’s a big lake, less now like esox said... he is spot on with mishandling of fish   
It certainly doesn't help the fish the way you’re holding them.  I believe saxmatt was just trying to give you a tip on proper handling, don't have to get offended.  Also I think it was referenced in an earlier post about getting fish back down the hole in a timely fashion so that their eyes don't freeze over.  Too many times pike on bantam are left on the ice for the angler to run back get release tools and or his camera.  Have everything ready to go in one bag.  You might eventually release the fish but its swimming away blind after a few minutes exposed to cold temps.  By all means take your pictures but just be prepared and treat every flag likes it’s the ONE.

I think the real problem is guys that leave the fish to flop around on the ice for minutes at a time after they pull them out of the hole.  I do my best to get them quickly back in the hole.  Camera and pliers in hand and ready to go.  I also use a single hook which seems to work out pretty well, I dont know how guys use a treble hook.
Catch and Release!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Look up quick strike rig Dan, there are some studies out there that have shown that the mortality rate with smaller hooks is higher than say a couple of larger trebles on a quick strike rig, the difference being as soon as you get a flag with a quick strike rig you set the hooks immediately.  No chew time to give them a chance to swallow it.

Offline gadabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Well said. I am not a big fan of opinions from other guys but with age I have found to disect the true sportsmen from those just typing away. While I am not new to fishing I am new to pike fishing. I appreciate Matts suggestions and will use them myself in the future. Matt has landed many large pike throughout the years. I hope everyone has a safe and productive rest of the season.
Gadabout

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:29 PM »
In 1978 I watched my grandfather land a pike trolling davis spoons trailed by a 12" white perch that was over 30lbs. In the  80's you could go to little bantam and easily catch 15 pike a day. As with all pike fisheries the first 20 years are always the best in the small lakes we have in CT. With that being said, Bantam gave me my personal best CT pike in 2007 which was just shy of 27lbs. Today the fishing pressure is higher than ever both open and hard water, the pike that do make it  to the upper twenty's have seen it all and take a lifetime to figure out.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:48 PM »
A 27# pike from Bantam is a great accomplishment, was that open water or ice?  Would love to see a picture of that slob if you have one avaolable.

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:17 PM »
She was taken through the ice on Feb. 22nd. I do have pictures and I look at her every day on my wall. perhaps one day ill take you fishen and  show you ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:21 PM »
I'd welcome the opportunity.  I've been quite inflicted with chasing fish with teeth, even if it means slow action. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.