Author Topic: Tricked out 5gal buckets  (Read 4192 times)

Offline polski

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's never to cold too drink beer
Tricked out 5gal buckets
« on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:01 PM »
After work I like to get out for the last hours of light I'm looking for some ideas(pics) of 5gal buckets tricked out for fishing Thanks

Offline xtrymefire

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tricked out 5gal buckets
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:33 PM »
the tool bags that go over the top that have lots of pockets and a padded lift up seat to put the fish in
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Back when I had a vexilar with the ultrapack I rigged up a bucket with rod holders on the back and used a half seat lid as my seat. I just sat on the bucket and could see my vex while it was still inside the bucket while in use. Just threw my fish in a walmart cloth bag to keep things separate, and used the vex attached tackle case it came with as my jig box. I bent a cheap ice scoop to grasp onto the bucket rim and mounted a transducer holder to safely hold the ducer into place while moving. The thing I soon realized was it was still easier to just throw the bucket in a sled and pull it rather than carrying the tricked out bucket around, so no need for the tricked out bucket anymore. If I can find the old pics Ill attach them.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Best way to trick out a bucket is to put it in a Strikemaster Glide Lite.   ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Why does the bucket need to be tricked out? to impress the fish when they come up the hole?

Small jet sled and two buckets is the perfect evening set-up.
Bucket #1 has the tackle and rods
Bucket #2 has the lantern all snug so it won't rattle.
Flasher in the sled

Auger over the shoulder, buckets in the sled and you are on your way. When walking off the ice in the dark the fish go in bucket #2 and the lantern goes in my hands so I can see better.

A small jet sled is the best purchase a guy could ever make, it weighs almost nothing and has just enough room for your gear.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:10 PM »
After work I like to get out for the last hours of light I'm looking for some ideas(pics) of 5gal buckets tricked out for fishing Thanks

check this out, I used it for years.:

http://frabill.com/accessories/1655.html
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Comfy and practicle

Offline Perch master 16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I use an orange 5 gallon bucket with a silent spin seat on top.

Offline Borion2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:07 PM »

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:10 PM »
I want to get 7 gallon bucket for few years now. They are cheap but either shipping or min quantity just kills the deal.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:25 PM »
  Russsian bear, take 2, 5 gals, cut the bottom out of one , jam it into the other, and you are there

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:55 PM »
That's a lot like mine Roy, except I strapped mine to an old aluminum pack frame so i can carry it on my back.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:21 AM »
  Russsian bear, take 2, 5 gals, cut the bottom out of one , jam it into the other, and you are there
Ye i have thought of that, but still want a one piece. Lol

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:29 AM »
Gator Nation

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:14 AM »
Comfy and practicle

(Image removed from quote.)
I do believe you would have to use that in a hut or your rear end and other parts might freeze, and it better be heated too (the hut) although a heated seat would be nice as well. That, and you would want to do it with people around, kinda indecent  :sick: :cookoo:
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:45 AM »
Ha sweet man

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:11 AM »
7 gallon buckets are better.  5 arctic fire tip-ups will fit inside with plenty of room left over and a cushioned lid on top.  6 short pieces of pvc (tops cut at angles so the reel handles turn in) riveted as low as they can be to the outside and a velcro strap to keep the rod tips secured.  2 more pieces of pvc high up on the outside of the bucket for skimmer and pliers.  And fishing stickers to make it look cool.   

Offline B Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Tech Redneck
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:32 AM »
I want to get 7 gallon bucket for few years now. They are cheap but either shipping or min quantity just kills the deal.

Do you have a homebrew store near you? Buckets that size are the norm for fermenters.

Offline Malty Falcon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:42 AM »
I do not recommend the apron type deal that has pockets around the outside.  Old Jim uses one, and can never find anything.  Too many pockets with no specific function mean all his gear gets jumbled into the bottom of every pocket.  "Hey Jim, got any split shots?"    "Oh, yeah, they are in here somewhere,  you wanna look for 'em?  Just a minute, oh, we'll,       OOwww, well, there's my spare hooks!  Uhmm, hold on..."

Also, none of those semi-pockets close securely, so you can't lay the bucket on its side.  Get the Plano bucket lid with compartments and lift out trays.  They work well for me.
Fishin' is better with a Malty Beverage!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:17 AM »
I have one of those easy to snap on 5 gal pail lids. I keep my entire tackle box in that 5 or 7 gal pail, then inside smaller plastic boxes. Along with jaw spreaders, pliers, tape measure, etc. if I want it, it's in that 5 gal. pail some place. With the lid I don't have to worry if it tips over on accident, and I also can sit on it. Best tackle box I have ever found for ice fishing.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:28 AM »
What I did was mount a spare rattle reel on a shelf bracket to the inside of a 5 gallon bucket.  It works really well for fishing with my portable, and I also put a piece of 4" pvc on the inside to hold my little buddy heater at the same time and a 1" pvc to hold my ice scoop. It keeps a lot of stuff from rolling around the tub of my sled and makes it so I dont need to bring a deadstick rod  ;D Ill post some pictures tonight if anyone wants

Go Beavers!

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:04 AM »
What I did was mount a spare rattle reel on a shelf bracket to the inside of a 5 gallon bucket.  It works really well for fishing with my portable, and I also put a piece of 4" pvc on the inside to hold my little buddy heater at the same time and a 1" pvc to hold my ice scoop. It keeps a lot of stuff from rolling around the tub of my sled and makes it so I dont need to bring a deadstick rod  ;D Ill post some pictures tonight if anyone wants
Would LOVE to see some pictures!   ;D

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:10 AM »
here are a few photos from the lab... 

here is one i am tring to perfect.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Do you have a homebrew store near you? Buckets that size are the norm for fermenters.
Only druggies, lol j/k

I dont

Offline wired

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I have a green camo plastic hunting box with a flip open lid on top is swivel seat that I mounted my vex to. Inside is the battery a 2 outlet 12 volt socket so I can charge the vex battery  just by plugging it in with ease and can power 2 accessories at same time ie lighter phone charger. Screwed on outside of box is a motorhome porch light and a pocket for transducer. I found the box in the parking lot and it had some tackle in it. 
ELEVEN MILE SMILE  METAL GODS

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Comfy and practicle

(Image removed from quote.)
That's a beautiful thrown bud! ;)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:07 PM »
All this was made from spare hardware laying around. I have the line go right over the edge of the bucket and it has very little resistance. The I also threaded the line through an I-bolt to keep the line traveling in the right direction and hold my slipbobber at the same time when not in use.

Go Beavers!

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:19 PM »
check this out, I used it for years.:

http://frabill.com/accessories/1655.html
I just got one of these and it does work excellent!  :thumbsup:

Offline JigChaser08

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wishin' I Was Fishin'
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:32 PM »
I just got one of these and it does work excellent!  :thumbsup:

i have had several and loved them!...the only thing i noticed is that the clips break on them..plastic and cold never mix..ive had better luck with going to home depot and buying a similiar one thats meant for tools....less expensive and more durable
Henry

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:19 AM »
russian bear, also ,pool supplies have 7 gal,  as well as some driveway salt companies.I agree about the shipping. I wished we lived closer, I always, kind of watch the trash, and to date have 4 of these.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.