Author Topic: Bobhouses through the ice?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Superglide1

• IceShanty Rookie
Bobhouses through the ice?
« on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I was listening to WMUR news on the radio and with the talk of the ice conditions they mentioned that bobhouses went through the ice. Does anyone know if this has actually happened anywhere. ???

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
Re: Bobhouses through the ice?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:10 PM »
I just looked it up...says F&G warning people about the ice and that they haven't had any reports of people going through, but had a few bobhouses that have...gave no locations or dates..
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:25 PM »
Who cuts bobhouse size (and shape) holes for ice fishing?
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:28 PM »
I'm sure the news article didn't photo shop that pic, but it does look a little odd!  Never seen holes like that...
TP

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Did you happen to hear what the warden said? If you listened he said nothing about you can't go on the ice. If authorities could make you leave the ice, I am pretty sure He would have said something. He only said stay off UNLESS you have tested it.

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:46 PM »
I know somebody who knows somebody who has a shack that was half way in today.   Somewhere on Winni.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:06 PM »
What I want to know is did they use bar and chain oil on the saws or did the water lube them ok.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline perch boy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:20 PM »
If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective.

I like your saying Outdoorsman

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Horrific....blatant lies and mis conceptions produced by the media. Typical BS if you ask me, hell, you don't have to ask, I'll just tell you..BOGUS INFO!!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 10:53 PM »
What I want to know is did they use bar and chain oil on the saws or did the water lube them ok.

I've always wondered myself.  I guess since you use the bar oil as directed on the bottled....even though no mfr. would recommend using a saw on ice, it must not be illegal (it's illegal to use any oil or haz mat in any way other than directed, yada yada).  I wouldn't want to put that oil in the water, nor would I want to subject my saws to the likely wear of being un-oiled and running water through the bar and sprockets. 

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:19 AM »
Did you happen to hear what the warden said? If you listened he said nothing about you can't go on the ice. If authorities could make you leave the ice, I am pretty sure He would have said something. He only said stay off UNLESS you have tested it.

With my printouts of the applicable RSA sections tightly packed next to my fishing license, I will not worry about this eventuality developing  ;)
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:48 AM »
If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective.

I like your saying Outdoorsman

Thanks!   @)
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline waterfowlah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:21 PM »
be carefull out there guy's
Team Grizzly. ICE 55. Hopped up JIFFY owner ported polished custom expansion chamber 36" in 2.5 seconds HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bandit1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:32 PM »
theres a house off Sunapee state beach goin under. i saw it last night and its still there today.
I'm goin where the water tastes like wine,,,,,,   

don't tell me this town aint got no heart.....ya just gotta poke around........

Offline Holden Turbitt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:19 PM »
I've always wondered myself.  I guess since you use the bar oil as directed on the bottled....even though no mfr. would recommend using a saw on ice, it must not be illegal (it's illegal to use any oil or haz mat in any way other than directed, yada yada).  I wouldn't want to put that oil in the water, nor would I want to subject my saws to the likely wear of being un-oiled and running water through the bar and sprockets.

i work for a tree outfit and when we have to use saws in the water to cut up a tree we use canola oil in them instead of regular oil

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:24 PM »
the holes cut in that pond are in about 1 foot of water, looks like someone was harvesting ice or something. there haven't been any houses out on that pond at all

Offline got1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:25 PM »
we saw a bobhouse half under today on sunapee state beach.......

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:17 PM »
I'm sure the news article didn't photo shop that pic, but it does look a little odd!  Never seen holes like that...

Would seem that the ice has been cut to make ice sculptures?  You can buy brand new ice saws for that purpose.  You don't need a chain saw.
Dick

Offline WolfeFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:36 PM »

i work for a tree outfit and when we have to use saws in the water to cut up a tree we use canola oil in them instead of regular oil

That's a good tip - Thanks

"Flag Up!"

Offline fsh4fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2013, 05:39 AM »
i was just reading an article on harvesting ice for cold storage in root cellars and such and those holes look very similar. could be an idea?

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:48 AM »
Back in the late eightys I spent a couple winters working the smelt camps at the Great bay retreat in Newington. and we used chainsaws all day long! when your cutting twenty holes a day that are two feet by ten feet, a chainsaw is priceless!

or you can saw ice with one of these. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.