The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glen lake conditions  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Glen lake conditions
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:00 PM »
Ok since this topic has gotten so far off topic, I've got a question to what the topic has become.

So if my buddy and I get to a body of water first, put out a good setup of 30 tip-ups (champlain) relatively spread out, all well before sunrise, and when the 9 o'clockers roll out onto the ice and set up literally yards outside of our spread, or sometimes inside our spread should I be offended?

We sometimes fish a popular spot and this always seems to happen to us.  I've heard people say "nobody owns the ice", but shouldn't there be a little respect of first come first serve, and a certain distance kept?

Literally last year I had a good day, iced a lot of northerns, and iced a couple nice 10+ pounders.  Well it didn't take long for people to keep moving closer and closer, till we had one group set up inside our spread, and another guy drill a hole and set up a tip up 10' away from one of mine.

Hard to not get a little tweaked and words not be said.

In my opinion I guess it means what "relatively" means. Earlier in the thread 25 yards was thrown out. I mean if it's a popular area on champlain and each of you have 16 tip ups 75 feet apart that seems a little ridiculous in my perspective. I'd be pretty pissed to though  if I were set up in my own area not really crowding anyone or taking up a huge chunk of ice and people move in.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:20 PM »
I think some days on champlain it wouldn't matter if you had a fence they will set in your jiiging holes if you turn your back...

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:25 PM »
I am bewildered!!! Lake Champlain Is the 6th great lake...it's pretty big....should be able to spead out there. Some people aren't getting it and prob never will.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:37 PM »
we were set up in front of the paper mill,vt side , 3 of us had three rows from show out 10 tips each, maybe 10 yards apart had 2 guys drill two line in between them.....

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:48 PM »
we were set up in front of the paper mill,vt side , 3 of us had three rows from show out 10 tips each, maybe 10 yards apart had 2 guys drill two line in between them.....

bb...I hope you told them it wasn't cool...

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:01 AM »
We did speak to them ,but we were going to leave in an hour so we didn't push it much ,but I they got the point..I am fishing NH more this year , not much of a problem there with 1 tipup and 1 jig line... ;D

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:50 AM »
not much of a problem there with 1 tipup and 1 jig line... ;D

Way to save on buying bait too!

Offline swampdonkeyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:38 AM »
wow what a pissing match. dont like it, get there before he does. personally i try and stay out of peoples way when both hunting and fishing. but first come first serve.
fish on

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Last year on Carry Bay we were out there jigging for panfish.   We got there before daylight and had about 20 holes drilled and were hopping around the holes.  Around 9 o'clock several other groups had set up and were fishing their area.  No problem.  Then a few guys showed up with a 4 wheeler and trailer and started setting up tip ups from one side of the bay to the other.....literally covering a quarter mile of ice.  They
set up right inside our circle of holes as well.  We were doing well that day and kept our mouths shut.....but my feeling was that these guys were boneheads.  I get irritated when I get up at 3 am to get a decent spot and then guys show up at 9 and try to crowd me.  That is just plain bush league.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline bigcat61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:27 AM »
i was out on bomo one day last week and had 7 tipups set up for perch and jigging when i had a chance. then this guy comes over and sets up a tip up in one of the holes i was jigging in about 10ft from one of my tip ups? well he ended up catching a fish which tangled my line on my tip up and he ended up cutting my line?????   
he is lucky i was in a good mood that day, anyway he was nice enough to give me the fish. that what friends are for
                                                  :tipup:        :o        :tipup:

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:30 AM »
Way to save on buying bait too!
1 sucker for cut bait and 6 smelt last the week!! ;D

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:45 AM »
1 sucker for cut bait and 6 smelt last the week!! ;D

Those trout aren't anywhere near as fun as those monster pike though are they?! ;D

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:00 PM »
depends on what you call a monster I guess

Offline adkchuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:02 AM »
I am looking for updated info on Glen Lake. I have not fished it yet. Was over to Putnum Station last week pior to the thaw...there were 2" back ice and an inch of snow ice in top. I did not venture out too far from shore and as a result on landing one perch for my efforts!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.