The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glen lake conditions  (Read 4542 times)

Offline swVT-iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
Glen lake conditions
« on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:05 PM »
i have been wanting to get up to glen lake to fish for some smasher pike. was wondering if any one had any ice reports and or fishing reports off of glen? thanks!
 :icefish:
FLAG!!!!!

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
Re: Glen lake conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:58 PM »
glen lake has small pike? never seen one. just 20+ pounders
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 11:37 AM »
Heard through a buddy that fished there Saturday, that the ice was 2-4"  :-\

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I've never caught anything but small pike in Glenn. Beautiful lake but I've fished it many times in the summer with flies and quite a few in the winter but always seem to get bass or dinky pike. Any advice on where to find the big toothys there??

Offline swVT-iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Heard through a buddy that fished there Saturday, that the ice was 2-4"  :-\
thanks for the ice up date. dosnt sound safe enough to venture out on yet for me. :-\
 i have always had good luck getting the big ones out of glen with jumbo shinners from toms bait and tackel. rig them dead just off the bottom in the shallow bay at the top end as you come up the lake from the state boat launch. have put  some dandys on the ice doing that and have lost a few that were close to if not 25lbs+. i have found that 4-10 ft of water is the money zone for pike in the winter on glen
summer time when i fish glen i use a strike king series 6XD crank bait and always get some nice pike on that when im fishing for bass
FLAG!!!!!

Offline metalligoo2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:40 PM »
Just came from there, 3 - 4 inches, top inch is soft. Only caught 6 perch.

Offline TroutKiller99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Saw a pic from Emerald lake over the weekend.  25 pound pike!!!!  For a lake that is relatively small it keeps producing monster PIKE!  26 pounder caught over the summer.  Multiple 20s each winter.  Congrats to the gentlemen who harvested this real trophy!  Hopefully i can catch one like that this weekend their! 

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:34 PM »
 Heard ice on glen is not good at all. Had a buddy lose his spud through about an inch of ice yesterday while he was checking thickness on his way out. No thanks, I will wait a few weeks before i try going out. He said some of the drain holes he see were 16-18" wide !! ....So anyone know the ice conditions on emerald lake ? If it is solid a few of us might head over this weekend and try it. I see pic of that hog 25lb but did not know of the 26lb`er from the summer. Not a real shocker to me, I remember a few years back a kid yanked a 25lb`er out of emerald right by the beach. Now those are some huge pike !

Offline NoFishInThisLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:21 AM »
Rip lip -

If you head out on Glen via the launch, just turn right and you are on the spot. Anything between the launch and that next point on the right is good.

Wathch out for Bruno. He gets really unfriendly towards folks moving in on "his" spot, further down by the point. There probably isn't enough ice for him to put out his shanty yet, so you might not run into him until it locks up a little more.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:11 AM »
You guys want to go catch a fish and hook it on the end of his line for him too. 

GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NoFishInThisLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I just gave the guy 500 yards of shoreline to think about. They call it "fishing" vs. "catching" for a reason.

Are we really going to start another pissing contest on this board because someone is willing to help provide a little information?

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:39 AM »
500 yards of shoreline is a very small area.  Do you not realize that?  With one other guy, 2 at the most,  I could cover 500 yards of shoreline. 

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:48 AM »
That would mean 24 traps between 3 of you in a single straight line with ~21 yards between each trap... Not a very effective way to fish. Nobody should use that much space on a small lake like Glen.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:04 PM »
That would mean 24 traps between 3 of you in a single straight line with ~21 yards between each trap... Not a very effective way to fish. Nobody should use that much space on a small lake like Glen.

Not very effective.....hahahaha hahahahahahahahaha

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:51 PM »

I think there are reasonable limits for both ends but MOST pike guys would agree I think, 75 ft between traps isn't uncommon- pike, (at least larger ones) aren't in a school. Theres one here, one there. You need to cover some water if you want to be successful. However, if you are putting so much space in between that you need binoculars and you are claiming that whole space....

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Rip lip -

If you head out on Glen via the launch, just turn right and you are on the spot. Anything between the launch and that next point on the right is good.

Wathch out for Bruno. He gets really unfriendly towards folks moving in on "his" spot, further down by the point. There probably isn't enough ice for him to put out his shanty yet, so you might not run into him until it locks up a little more.
Little early to start bashing Bruno don't ya think

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:00 PM »
I never caught a fish in a trap and you can't tuna fish, but you can tune a piano.......what are they, conibears? I don't think leg-holds would work too well.    Tip-up!!!!!! (This ain't the Maine thread)  ;D   :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:29 PM »
500 yards of shoreline is a very small area.  Do you not realize that?  With one other guy, 2 at the most,  I could cover 500 yards of shoreline.

If I saw 3 people taking up that much space on a lake as small as Glen Lake I'm setting up right in between you. I'm sorry, but that's just disrespectful to the others that want to go out on the lake. No one owns any body of water and in my opinion should leave some space for others to enjoy a nice day out relaxing. Nothing is more frustrating than going out on the water and seeing some ignorant person trying to take up the whole space. Even if you get out there at 4am and you're the first one on the ice. What if some father wanted to bring there child out to try and get him/her into ice fishing and sees this? What kind of a message does that send to the learning ice fisherman? Just my thoughts. We can all share the water and get along right guys?  ;D

Offline ckashner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:31 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: I love it Fishnmachine

Offline fishinrules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 06:42 PM »
If your going to fish emerald get there early went by last Saturday and the parking lot up by the road was full as was the lake

Offline VTPikeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Little early to start bashing Bruno don't ya think
My thoughts exactly. Bash a guy online and hide behind a screen name. Best thing is Bruno does not own a computer.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:26 PM »

Tench normally agree with you 100%..not on this one. My tipups are typically 25+ yards apart...sit in the middle and thats only 100 yds in either direction....there are certainly times and places to not be so spread out...but fishing glen...gotta spead em out...

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I never caught a fish in a trap and you can't tuna fish, but you can tune a piano.......what are they, conibears? I don't think leg-holds would work too well.    Tip-up!!!!!! (This ain't the Maine thread)  ;D   :tipup:

I prefer leghold traps for my northerns. ;)  :tipup:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
~John Buchan

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:53 PM »
I just gave the guy 500 yards of shoreline to think about. They call it "fishing" vs. "catching" for a reason.

Are we really going to start another pissing contest on this board because someone is willing to help provide a little information?

Okay then why don't you give me a 500yd stretch to try on your favorite lake which encompasses your favorite spot...

Not a pissing contest at all...Glen is a small lake...tell him to try depths where you normally find northerns that should be enough information...

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:57 PM »
If I saw 3 people taking up that much space on a lake as small as Glen Lake I'm setting up right in between you. I'm sorry, but that's just disrespectful to the others that want to go out on the lake. No one owns any body of water and in my opinion should leave some space for others to enjoy a nice day out relaxing. Nothing is more frustrating than going out on the water and seeing some ignorant person trying to take up the whole space. Even if you get out there at 4am and you're the first one on the ice. What if some father wanted to bring there child out to try and get him/her into ice fishing and sees this? What kind of a message does that send to the learning ice fisherman? Just my thoughts. We can all share the water and get along right guys?  ;D

Will why do you care??? Aren't you the one hammering all the smallies on Hortonia!!! LOL

Busy day my tips ups won't be 25+ yds apart. But slow day, otherwise empty lake and you come and set up in my set...I'm walking off the ice with 8 Tip ups and 1 TRAP!!!

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Will why do you care??? Aren't you the one hammering all the smallies on Hortonia!!! LOL

Busy day my tips ups won't be 25+ yds apart. But slow day, otherwise empty lake and you come and set up in my set...I'm walking off the ice with 8 Tip ups and 1 TRAP!!!

Why do I care? Because I like to enjoy a day on the lake just as much as the next guy. No one likes "that guy" trying to hog up an entire area or act as if he is entitled to it. You could certainly try and walk off with it but no guarantees you'd make it to far  ;). All I'm trying to say is respect the fact that there are other people that may wish to ice fish on that particular lake or in that area so there is no need for an absurdly large space in between. If no one is there, fine I get it since it's not harming anyone. But, if it is a popular spot or people come along just share the water with them and kick back and take it easy.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Why do I care? Because I like to enjoy a day on the lake just as much as the next guy. No one likes "that guy" trying to hog up an entire area or act as if he is entitled to it. You could certainly try and walk off with it but no guarantees you'd make it to far  ;). All I'm trying to say is respect the fact that there are other people that may wish to ice fish on that particular lake or in that area so there is no need for an absurdly large space in between. If no one is there, fine I get it since it's not harming anyone. But, if it is a popular spot or people come along just share the water with them and kick back and take it easy.

Skipped right over the best part...or ignored it!!! LOL

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:09 PM »
Did I miss something or is everyone picking on the fact that I called tipups traps? Just something I've heard quite a bit, and no I'm not a Mainer.

No harm no foul, next time I'll call them tilts! ;)
~John Buchan

Offline NoFishInThisLake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:30 AM »
1. Go back to last year's conversation on Glen Lake and you will see a lot worse things said about Bruno than what I said.

2. The fact that there is big pike in Glen Lake is the worst kept secret in VT.

3. If guy is up early enough to beat me to my spot, then God bless him.

4. If you don't like the information that is being passed around this board, then stop reading!

Next time I will just PM the guy, so the rest of the fishing etiquette police don't get after me. Sheesh.

Offline shadylane

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:39 AM »
Ok since this topic has gotten so far off topic, I've got a question to what the topic has become.

So if my buddy and I get to a body of water first, put out a good setup of 30 tip-ups (champlain) relatively spread out, all well before sunrise, and when the 9 o'clockers roll out onto the ice and set up literally yards outside of our spread, or sometimes inside our spread should I be offended?

We sometimes fish a popular spot and this always seems to happen to us.  I've heard people say "nobody owns the ice", but shouldn't there be a little respect of first come first serve, and a certain distance kept?

Literally last year I had a good day, iced a lot of northerns, and iced a couple nice 10+ pounders.  Well it didn't take long for people to keep moving closer and closer, till we had one group set up inside our spread, and another guy drill a hole and set up a tip up 10' away from one of mine.

Hard to not get a little tweaked and words not be said.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.