Author Topic: Front Bar Mod  (Read 2388 times)

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
Front Bar Mod
« on: Jan 12, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Ive seen a pic of a mod where someone added to and bent the front rod of their flip over so the entire front rod made contact with the ice.

Ive looked but cant find it. Any1 got a link by chance?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
Re: Front Bar Mod
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:53 PM »
I am going to do that to my Kenai. I plan on using a conduit bender

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:21 AM »
The 1/2 conduit method is what the Clam Corp used for years. You can buy a 10' length of 1/2 emt and 1/2 emt bender at any home improvement store. I guarantee the bender will be the best thing you ever bought if you like to make things. The only recommendation I would make is to due a little research online and learn how to use it. There are different marks on the bender that allow you to make any bend you need. I've been an electrician for over 30 years and have made tons of things with conduit. It's actually more fun to make projects then it is to do it for a living. Good luck with your project and if you have any questions please feel free to ask. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:42 AM »
Im planning on using the existing bar that came with it. Mainly because I one 10ft piece wont be long enough to do what I want to do.
So ill have to use some kind of coupler.

Offline sincityrednek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:57 AM »
Just use a coupling then. They come in a couple different styles and are readily available at home improvement stores.
I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:10 AM »
Here is what im trying to accomplish

The black bar is how it currently is. Essentially yhe only part of the bar touching the ice is the very front by the door.
The red is how i would like it to be, with the entire front and sides of the bars touching the ice.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:22 AM »
bump
Gator Nation

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:25 AM »
I know i have seen this mod before, but i couldnt find it.. I beleive by the same guy that did the Conduit runners/risers.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:56 AM »
As stated in a prior post there are different types of couplings that you could use. I found that  the external coupling wouldn't work for a lot of my projects. What I do is use round stock of some type to sleeve the two pieces together. Depending on the basis of my build I have used a smaller size pipe (metal, PVC) or even a wooden dowel, however the wooden dowel shouldn't be used for anything that is a main support. I always make my pieces extend into each side by 3"- 4" which allows me to put at least 2 screws thru each pipe and into the coupling piece. I recommend that you pre drill the holes unless you are using self tapping screws. These internal couplings are actually stronger than that pipe itself when done correctly.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:45 AM »
Ok so you fabricate some kind of metal insert about 4-5in long and drill into it and use screws to hold it in place.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2013, 12:21 PM »
I would make the coupling to fit in the center of the straight piece that lays on the ice. That way you can make the 2 sides exactly the same and test fit it to fit the sled and cover perfectly. I am assuming that this support is a one piece support and not collapsible as mine is on my Clam Pro. In my attic I have one of the original Fish Trap shelters that Dave Genz made in his garage and had his wife sew the covers. That original shelter was made using 1/2 conduit for all the cover supports and they did not collapse. The whole thing is kind of primitive but ahead of it's time. No matter what you use to make your coupling whether its plastic, metal or wood make sure that you butt the two pieces together tightly and they will be very strong.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2013, 12:51 PM »
cool man, ill post pics when i get it put together.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:47 PM »
So i picked up some 1/2 in conduit and will picking up the bender tomorrow.

I grabbed this elbow in case it was long enough, but it wasnt. But you get the idea.
The yellow dot is where the bolt goes thru to hold the bar.
I will just bend a piece of conduit on a 90 with about a foot of straight bar before and after the bend, on each side.
I couldnt find any pipe that fit snug on the inside of the conduit. But the wooden dowel fits perfectly. Any suggestions for a metal pipe insert?
Also couldnt find any metal pipe that fits snug over the two pieces to act as a support sleeve where the two pieces join. Any suggestions here?

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:03 PM »
The wooden dowel will work if you predrill the 4 holes. I found a piece of PVC at the hardware store that fit snugly into the 1/2 conduit.
When you get the bender it will have an arrow, a star and degree marks on the side. The deduct for 1/2 conduit is 5" so if you want a 12" tall bend you would put a mark at 7" and place that mark at the arrow on the bender. Once you make the 90 degree bend it should be 12". Once you have your upright piece bent I would lay it down on the floor and line it up where you want to attach it to the bracket. Then measure and mark it where the outside (overall) edge of the conduit would be to fit your cover. You can then place the bender on the conduit with your  mark on the star (back to back) mark and pull the longer (straight) end of the conduit up to 90 degrees. Make sure you lay the first (short) bend flat on the ground and pull the bender straight up to assure that the bends are 90 degrees from each other. If you lay the first pipe with the bend to the right and the second pipe with the bend to the left you will accomplish making the two halves of your front bar.

I hope this helps you out and when your all done you will almost be an electrician. LOL

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:13 PM »
Instead of the dowel i think im going to take a 6in piece of conduit, put a slice in the the length of the piece, then pinch it together.
Im hoping it will then be small enough to fit inside.

Im thinking ill do the same thing for the sleeve, only expand it a little to fit over both pieces. Then drill 4 holes (2 on each side) thru all 3 layers, and screw down.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:27 PM »
If you are going to use the 4 screws I would opt for just the inside sleeve and save yourself the trouble.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:32 PM »
sounds good to me =)
ill post pics when done.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 04:37 PM »
Got the bar bent, cut and assembled. Going to attach 3 velcro straps along the bottom seam to attach to the pole.
Once the sides are vecro'd down no wind will get in.

Here are pics in progress:
Bottom Elbow in

Front bar cut and wooden pegs in

Bars together with wooden peg for support

Screws are in:

One side. other looks the same.

Folded back

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Now your cooking with Peanut oil.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 11:10 PM »
GENIUS!!!!!!!    :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:
Gator Nation

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:49 AM »
It turned out perfect and looks like it will do the trick. The 4 screws in the sleeves is the way to go. I have made countless projects using that method. I'm glad it all work out and I think you did a fantastic job with the build.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 AM »
It turned out perfect and looks like it will do the trick. The 4 screws in the sleeves is the way to go. I have made countless projects using that method. I'm glad it all work out and I think you did a fantastic job with the build.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank you, I appreciate all the help you provided.

Offline EddieRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM »
  Excellent Job, Does your Clam have the poles has to pushed in and out when setting up and when leaving? By looking it doesnt and wondering how it can be done with my Pro tc.. Looks great.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2013, 01:05 PM »
  Excellent Job, Does your Clam have the poles has to pushed in and out when setting up and when leaving? By looking it doesnt and wondering how it can be done with my Pro tc.. Looks great.

My rods dont collapse, they are all one piece. Im sure you can do something similar to one with collapsible rods tho.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:12 PM »
velcro straps are in

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:35 PM »
I love it when a plan comes together. ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.