Author Topic: Curtis area ice after the warm up?  (Read 3043 times)

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Curtis area ice after the warm up?
« on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:20 AM »
Will be up fishing the Curtis area on lake Milikokia for 4 days Jan 18-22.  Ice and snow reports would be very appreciated after the warm up and rain, so I have an idea if I should bring my sled or I should plan on walking.  No snow on the ice, I wont bring the sled.  any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Fish on !

Offline woody63

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Curtis area ice after the warm up?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Call Kathy at JR'S bait shop,she will give you an honest report
You cant have everything,,,where would you put it

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:06 PM »
We are leaving Monday and will be there all week to fish the main lake and the south lake. What kind of fish are inMilikokia?
Same deal for us........we are taking quads but they might just sit on the trailers........who knows?
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:40 AM »
Call Kathy at JR'S bait shop,she will give you an honest report
Thanks, will do.
Fish on !

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:52 AM »
We are leaving Monday and will be there all week to fish the main lake and the south lake. What kind of fish are inMilikokia?
Same deal for us........we are taking quads but they might just sit on the trailers........who knows?
Milikokia has all your basics, perch, gills, pike, walleye, small and large mouth bass. I was there last winter for 3 days and did respectable on the perch, did not get any walleye but I feel I have a better feel for the lake this time and going to give it another shot.  Best thing I found about this lake is that it is quiet and peaceful, just what the doctor ordered; cant wait to get there next Saturday.  Good luck fishing vexvision and please keep me posted on conditions if you would.
Fish on !

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:56 AM »
We are also going on the 18th up to South lake. Ice or no ice we plan on having a blast.  The only diffence will be if we have to drive west every morning.

Offline Laker22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Anyone have a firsthand report on how the ice held up after the rain and warmth?

Offline Crooked Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2013, 02:47 PM »
We have a group heading up in just over a week.  Temps look good for making ice from now til then.  Tight Lines

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:11 PM »
I left Curtis Friday the 11th.  It was above freezing but still fished the morning bite.  We fished the east side of South Manistique....We were on 7-10 inches.  We were on atv's and snowmobile but We did not randomly travel the entire lake!!  Talk to Cathy at JR's and any local fishermen you can.  I think the ice would be fine after the warm up since it has turned colder up there.

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:53 PM »
 ;D Thanks terry fish! Might have to give er a try! Hopefully the ice is good on the south lake too, we dont want to have to drive west every morning but we will do whatever we have to!

Sounds like the ice will be okay, we'll still exercise caution though! Time to get a fish fry going!

Good luck everyone and I will try to post updates with my phone if the service is okay up there! Hopefully our lodge will have wifi but I cant remember.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:11 PM »
I left Curtis Friday the 11th.  It was above freezing but still fished the morning bite.  We fished the east side of South Manistique....We were on 7-10 inches.  We were on atv's and snowmobile but We did not randomly travel the entire lake!!  Talk to Cathy at JR's and any local fishermen you can.  I think the ice would be fine after the warm up since it has turned colder up there.

(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks for the report and the photo, I really appreciate it.  If you don't mind me asking? how was the fishing, nothing in detail, just an in general answer.
Fish on !

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2013, 07:21 PM »
;D Thanks terry fish! Might have to give er a try! Hopefully the ice is good on the south lake too, we dont want to have to drive west every morning but we will do whatever we have to!

Sounds like the ice will be okay, we'll still exercise caution though! Time to get a fish fry going!

Good luck everyone and I will try to post updates with my phone if the service is okay up there! Hopefully our lodge will have wifi but I cant remember.  ;D ;D ;D
Again good luck fishing and keep me updated if you wouldn't mind.
Fish on !

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the report and the photo, I really appreciate it.  If you don't mind me asking? how was the fishing, nothing in detail, just an in general answer.

We fished South Manistique and the fishng was good.  We didn't hit it hardcore.  We fished the morning and evening bites for walleye and checked some other water during midday.  Our eyes came from steeper breaklines in 12-13 fow with weeds nearby.  We were set up before dawn for the AM bite and by 330PM for the eve bite.  We were jigging and running tip ups.  Most fish were caught while jigging.  Jiggin Raps, blade baits and spoons caught fish.  We caught several 18-20 inch pike and a few perch 8-10 inches.  We probably caught 15 walleye....the largest was 20 inches.  Good luck and most of all....have fun!

Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:52 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Leaving in 8 hours  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;

Offline woody63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:59 AM »
 Leaving Thursday 6 am,,leave us some fish,,thanks for the report

Offline Jiggin in Michigan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hello...Is anyone down there?
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:32 AM »
Whoop!! Leaving Thursday morning too! I hope you left a few in the lake for us.  Thanks for the times you caught them. Usually fish the eyes in the morning and evenings, perch in between. Beers all throughout!!;)

Offline woody63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Maybe run into you out there or we might spend a little idle time at the shuffleboard table at the Tally Ho, and always a cold beverage,it is not ice fishing without ice drinking

Offline Laker22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Does anyone have any info on the tournament this weekend. I plan on fishing in it but just trying to figure out the details. It says you must register by 10 am Saturday so does that mean it doesn't start until 10 am?  Everything I can find online about the tournament seems very vague.

Offline Crooked Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:45 AM »
Can anyone update me on snow cover and current ice conditions on the Big lake please.  Leaving in 5 days and wondering if I need to bring my sled or quad.  Thanks in advance.  Tight Lines

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Just returned from the South Lake, we fished from Monday untill yesterday. Ice was good on the south lake, the big lake , Lake Milikokia, and Indian lake. Caught perch, pike, and walleye. Great trip. Friday hit with 8" of fluffy snow. We left today with about of 12" of fresh snow from the whole week. Fluffy stuff though and we traveled the lakes on quads. Side by sides and sleds all over the place. Fishing was good and anyone going soon wont have to worry about ice conditions. We had 7-10" of ice everywhere we went on these lakes. Guys are driving trucks on Indian Lake, we did not......only 8" or so, we elected to use our quads. Happy to be home but sad to leave. Going again in June for another week and then again every winter untill I buy a cabin up there, then Ill be there even more!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Crooked Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:07 AM »
Thanks for the update......I am debating on pulling the trailer up with both snowmobile and quad or just travel with quad in bed of pick up.  Tight Lines.

Offline buckhunter001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Does anyone know how much snow is on the south lake? Heading up next week and wondering if quads are still getting around OK.

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:21 PM »
We left Sunday. We ended up with a foot of new snow but it was super cold and it was so fluffy that all 3 of our quads got around just fine. It was brutally windy too so alot of it may have drifted on shore. Lots of ice though! Good luck!

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Any new snow updates?

Offline dirtman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2013, 02:14 PM »
I don't know Curtis for sure, but here by Engadine 12-16" more today and still coming down.  I'd check with Kathy at JR's before heading out.  Hope the next warm spell settles this down some.

Offline bigackley

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Left curtis friday, quite a bit of snow on the lake now. If it stays fluffy you may be fine with the quads but if it warms up at all, lake may become slushy and difficult to navigate without chains. I will give another update soon. I lived in Curtis for thirty years so I keep in tough with locals>

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Thanks.  Sounds like there might be to much snow to pull out my shack.

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:06 PM »
I heard they just got 2 feet of snow the other day. :o

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I heard they just got 2 feet of snow the other day. :o

24" wouldn't surprise me given how hard it was snowing.  I was down there on Friday morning to meet my father for an ice fishing weekend.  It was REALLY coming down...visibility was 50' at times and the wind wasn't blowing.  With only ATVs for travel, we bagged the trip. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Crooked Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:09 PM »
I can confirm 16" of fluffy snow fell Friday the 25th....and left the lake impassable with a quad.  A combination of deep snow and lots of slush may make it tought to move around for the next weekor so.  I also can also report that after fishing Burnt Island area, Anderson Bar and Home Bar, a group of 4 of us never caught a walleye.   Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.