Author Topic: How difficult is it to get a Marcum and a Vex to play nice in the same shack?  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
Okay, so greed is getting the best of me, or at least deals at Fleet Farm  ;D

I can pick up a Clam Kenai and a MarCum VX-1 Pro for the same price as a refurb'ed FL-20 and that just seems too good to pass up.

My question is this, how difficult is it to get a Vex and a MarCum to cooperate less than 6' from one another fishing in <20' of water?  In my experience, when anyone with a MarCum gets within 30 yards of my shack, I have a very difficult time clearing out the interference, let alone when they're under the same roof!

I looked at the Humminbird ICE-35 and am a big fan of the flat screen displays, but the fixed half-depth zoom doesn't really fit my needs.

Help me out quick, sale ends tomorrow!

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shouldn't have any problems. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No problems unless the Vex is a 12....We have had alot of problems getting a 12 to work with a Marcum, sloved that by selling the 12....The VX-1 is all the 18/20 is at a lower price but without flatscreen....

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a VX-1P, and an FL-20, and an FL-18.  The VX1-P may have the same "features", but from a quality standpoint, it is nowhere near a Vex.  I ordered it last year because it was on sale and wanted another flasher.  I was very disappointed in the overall quality. 

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I havent noticed any quality issues between the 2 brands, both hold up well.... I did have to have 2 of my Vexs repaired of the 5 I have owned, only had to fix 1 of the 3 marcums but that one was bad right out of the box..... My current LX-5 is one of the first years made and I got it used from a guide and other than a battery no issues, over a year on my LX-7 and no problems other than the initial bug that an updated fixed to perfection....I will say I have not owned a VX series only fished around a couple of them....I did love my Vex's when I owned them but after fishing next to the LX series for an hour the choice to switch was a no brainer....

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
I haven't had any issues, just a perception.  Seems like a cheaply made unit compared to the Vex.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
The Ice 35 plays nice with my LX-7.  No idea about the higher models.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
Vex it has to play with is an FL-12 and no plans to sell it.  Not sure why the IR on the 12 would be any different than the others?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vex it has to play with is an FL-12 and no plans to sell it.  Not sure why the IR on the 12 would be any different than the others?

No idea why either, but it is nothing more than a flat screen FL-8, we do sometimes have issues with some of those to but not all just the 12's have been an issue.... Every season we have less and less to worry about only a small handfull of guys I fish with still run a Vex, most have went to Marcum and a couple to HB....Vex once was the best is now playing 3rd fiddle to Marcum and HB....

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
my humminbird ice 345 Does not play nice with the lx-7.   the humm  blips ever couple seconds, still can use it...but its not steady

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Get the vx-1pro. Or look for a used lx-3tc in that price range. Have the lx-5 no plans on switching anytime soon. Maybe to a 7 next year  ;D Keep the 5 for sure...
Fishin red lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.