Author Topic: Sping bobbers  (Read 1777 times)

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sping bobbers
« on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:53 AM »
Which one do you use? I was thinking of trying a frabill titanium. My buddy uses all st croix legends. Trip wire looks sweet any advice/experience with these mentioned. I like the croix rods, very sensitive and good adjustable spring just wondering about the others.
Fishin red lines

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Sping bobbers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:19 AM »
Havent used one at all since I got a tuned up custom rods precision noodle rod. Took the place of all my spring bobber rods. Highly suggest one if you can swing it. Otherwise, just make your own springs. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=239734.msg2425731#msg2425731
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:14 AM »
I like the schooleys spring bobbers,I put them on the rod with some thread and a bit of epoxy,there cheap and last forever,you can spend alot more on other brands if thats what you like but I have these on my rods for many years now and they still work great

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 07:42 PM »
Frabill titanium, used last 3 times out , perch, crappies, gills, really nice.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:58 PM »
I have the Titanium Tripwire ( my go to) and a few with the Frabill springs, will pick up another Titanium to be able to put on those days when it's needed....I like the adjustability on the removable ones and somedays even a noodle isnt enough for our picky light biting fish....

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Frabill titanium is adjustable right? What is the plus to the titanium material? Strength to keep from bending kinking?
Fishin red lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:49 PM »
Yes dont kink, love my Tripwire but interested in one I can put on only when needed.....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2013, 09:50 PM »
Yeah, the frabil is adjustable and I can't kink it. My oldest boy is gonna be the guinea pig for these, I put one on a rod and I'm taking him tomorrow.

I actually tied a knot in his frabil TI spring and it sprung right back.

Marmish springs are still my first choice.. nothing beats them at any cost that I have found. I hate noodle rods worse than cold feet, so I may be biased though.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:04 PM »
That is impressive....
Fishin red lines

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I hate noodle rods worse than cold feet, so I may be biased though.

Not trying to sound like a dick.. but you just have never fished with a top quality noodle. They are just as sensitive as a spring and strong enough to fight big fish. I caught a measured 1.75" bluegill the other day that moved the tip pretty good. And I've caught crappie that raised the tip. All with 3mm tungsten wolframs.

Here is a video of the rod I use, you may have seen them at the ice show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11PrRqVkTWA
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Yes, I've fished with all manner of noodles. Than includes two from Thorne, one from a guy in Elk River, and two I built myself. I gave them more than a fair chance. It was an expensive experiment...

Noodle rods require a whole ton of hookset to get to the backbone. It's not the 1.75 inch bluegill that makes me me hate noodle rods, it's the 12 inch gills and 15 inch crappies that I can't get a hook into. They have plenty of time to drop that jig before I can stick them when I have to make a huge hookset. I fish with shorter rods that are are very stout by panfish standards. It takes a couple inches to take the slack of the spring out and hit solid rod, a flick of the wrist is all I need. From there I can keep even pressure and control the fish. My crappie spots are also 50-60 feet deep.... there is a ton of line stretch involved too.

I should disclose one other thing though... I usually only fish sunfish and crappies when the bite is gonna be tough. If the bite is gonna be somewhat good, I'm out on Mille Lacs looking for walleyes. So... I only fish tough panfish bites till walleye season closes.

Noodle rods only work for me when the pannies are hot and not dropping it the instant they feel me.

And no, you do not sound like a dick, we are sharing opinions... that's why we are here. Even though you assume a guy who spends a couple mortgage payments on fishing gear a year has never tried a "quality" noodle... ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:41 AM »
This rod I have here is nothing like any other noodle I have ever seen. Its a 30" and only bends the first 5", and that bend is as light as any spring bobber I have ever seen. Then when it gets in to the backbone the rod turns into more of a L or ML rod. You still have the tip bouncing to fight the fish and keep those papermouths hooked up, but the backbone is more than enough to hook and land big fish. I've landed several big bass on it and never had a problem. I absolutely hate the rods that bend from tip to handle, I can never hook a thing with those... its like fishing with a piece of inner-tube. The fish are long gone before the rod loads.

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Then it's not a noodle rod... You have a quick tip or a tip rod. A noodle has a long parabolic action.... by definition.

I'm done dropping tons of cash on magic wands that don't work any better than what I have, but have huge durability issues.

Break a tip on a tippy rod and you cry, wreck a spring bobber and you dig though your bag for another one.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:53 PM »
Not trying to sound like a dick.. but you just have never fished with a top quality noodle. They are just as sensitive as a spring and strong enough to fight big fish. I caught a measured 1.75" bluegill the other day that moved the tip pretty good. And I've caught crappie that raised the tip. All with 3mm tungsten wolframs.

Here is a video of the rod I use, you may have seen them at the ice show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11PrRqVkTWA

$69 ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   :o :o :o :o :o :o       I'll use a spring  ;)
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I just tried "action bite indicator" spring bobbers today. they carry from medium action to ultra light. I used the ultra light for perch at Pineview...They are very sensitive and worked great.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2013, 09:16 PM »
I finally got out with my st. Croix legend  today.  I dont feel rod is $50 quality, but the idea/design is. The spring bobber is a nice design, and being adjustable for different weight jigs is just awesome. I found a setup that works great for me.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2013, 10:17 PM »
I finally got out with my st. Croix legend  today.  I dont feel rod is $50 quality, but the idea/design is. The spring bobber is a nice design, and being adjustable for different weight jigs is just awesome. I found a setup that works great for me.

Sell the rod and make your own st. croix tips to add to your favorite rod. Cost is about $2 each plus the actual springs. There is a topic on here that shows how to make the tip, and there is another on here that shows how to make your own st. croix springs.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Great tips guys @)
Fishin red lines

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2013, 05:17 AM »
thin wire and a glow pony bead really cheap and work great.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Sell the rod and make your own st. croix tips to add to your favorite rod. Cost is about $2 each plus the actual springs. There is a topic on here that shows how to make the tip, and there is another on here that shows how to make your own st. croix springs.

Even a caveman could do it!

I really don't like the Legend rods, the quality isn't there for the price they ask.

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:51 PM »
My buddy swears by them ...I don't know I do just as good with  frabill quick tips and Jason mitchell rods. Love the quick tip if the bite is hot but looking for good rod and spring bobber combo for finicky gills. Thinking frabill titanium for spring bobber. I like fishing with longer rods I think the Frabill line of ice rods is good priced and high quality. JM rods as well.
Fishin red lines

Offline hntfsh09

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Wish I could comment on the noodles, but can't.  I will throw down an extra vote for the Frabill titanium ones though.  They go on easy, can adjust them easily, and they fit a variety of rods well.  As an added bonus I can thread small clips as well as most panfish jigs right through them, which is something you can't do with the coil spring units. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.