Author Topic: smitty sled plans  (Read 20665 times)

Offline belair

• IceShanty Rookie
smitty sled plans
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:13 PM »
 I have a clam kenia and it is hard for me to pull.  I was told that a sled would make it alot easier for me.. What I need is some plans for one. any help would be great thanks gene

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Davey why

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: smitty sled plans
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:58 AM »
I need some ideas regarding how to keep my Nanook from sliding
off the supports on the Smitty sled (sideways and endways)
Bungee cords and or ratchet straps do not seem to secure the Nanook
to the sled  I don't want to drill any holes in Nanook
Plastic on aluminium cross supports  is slippery
Thanks   

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 10:56 AM »
some eye hooks under the lip of the tub and a ratchet strap or 2,or modify you smitty so it holds it on better maybe make some sides for it then use the sides to put on the ice to keep your feet off the ice? the posibilitys could be endless

Offline IceFlier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:10 AM »
I too need to make this sled.   I am very disappointed in how hard it is to pull the Kenai.   Seems it was designed for someone with a machine to pull it.    The mfg of CLAM products is a very good company and very responsive to customer requests.    So I am a little surprised that an easy to pull through the snow shelter is not available.      Funny thing is I made my own with a Jet Sled, conduit, blue tarp, chain in the hem of the skirt to keep it down, and a sewing machine.   Used it for 10 years.    All during this time I wanted the "real thing" assuming it would be better.

So now I am going to make the Smitty Sled (thanks Smitty) and stick with the Kenai.     I plan to make the shelter fixed to the sled so I can stop and fish without unloading it.    I plan to add a hook (like used to hold a padlock) on the front on one side and on the rear of the other.   This way I can have a permanently installed cable with a hook/clasp on each side of the sled to hold the shelter in place to stop it from sliding forward or back.   I am also going to add a small end piece at each end of the 2 x 4's to act as rails to hold the shelter from sliding side to side. 

This is my plan.   I will post pictures when I get it done.   I sold my Clam suitcase model last year and the sled that I made with it.    I can tell you that the skis make this whole thing workable.    I could take that Clam anywhere with little effort (parking lots, grass, snow, ice).   Only sold it because it wasn't very mobile once you had it set up and the telescoping rods made it difficult to set up take down multiple times in a day.

One more mod I am making as part of the sled is to remove the bench seat.   It is comfortable and probably works well for most, but the support structure makes the floor space difficult to use.   So I am going to get rid of it.   If the sled works really well , then I will make a box with a swivel boat seat on it.   Don't want to add weight right away so I will use a bucket until then or leave the bench installed if it isn't too high off the ground.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:44 AM »
I feel your pain, I jsut built my version of a smitty last night!

pair of skiis, 8 1/2" flanges 4 10"x1/2" pipe wood screws and 1-1x3x10 cut in half.

Straps hook to the pipe, I still need to att eh tow rope to the pipes but thats a quick fix.
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:28 AM »
My frabill ranger solo pulls like a boat on dry land...lol.. I put it on skis using a little of smitty's idea and another guy who used conduit runners...attached is one pic...kinda dark but I will take some more this weekend. I used floor mount flanges (plumbing), 1/2" threaded pipe nipples, conduit for mounting to the sled with u-bolts.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:59 AM »
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline IceFlier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:06 PM »
I need some ideas regarding how to keep my Nanook from sliding
off the supports on the Smitty sled (sideways and endways)
Bungee cords and or ratchet straps do not seem to secure the Nanook
to the sled  I don't want to drill any holes in Nanook
Plastic on aluminium cross supports  is slippery
Thanks

I am making a sled tonight.   I am putting eye bolts at diaganol opposite ends (one on each side of the sled).  I bought two clips like you use to hook up a dog collar.   I plan to tie a rope in the shelter And then hook it to the eye bolts.

Also i plan to put a raised piece of wood in the center of the sled to encourage the shelter to stay put.  And then i am adding something on the end of each 2x4 to prevent the side to side movement.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.