The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: The Hole in the Ice Is hungry  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
The Hole in the Ice Is hungry
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:18 PM »
My brother is having the worst luck this year. He has dropped his flash light while checking a hole. We were jigging and stood up with his phone in his lap and down that went. Then someone yelled flag so he jumped up and kicked his dewalt battery in the hole while jigging. At least he caught some fish haha

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
Re: The Hole in the Ice Is hungry
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:36 PM »
I beleive your not a true ice fisheman until you loose a few items through the ice,I personally have lost a good chipping bar,a couple of ice spoons,3 pair of needle nose plyers and 2 polar tipups so far in my ice fishing days and I bet there will be more in the future  :-\

Randy

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 03:41 PM »
Yeah we have lost flashlights, brand new never even turned on, to old one, lots of gauging weights, three in one hole one day, knives that we use to chip the holes out, two in two different holes seconds apart, lots of hooks, weights, and even the minnows, trying to remember do not hook the minnow over the hole.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 04:55 PM »
the phone has no place on the ice to bad he lost it though. No peice and quite with the phone out there.

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Have to call and talk to the little kiddos to tell them goodnight though

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:26 PM »
oh and he kicked a 14$ Jig in the water seconds after his cell phone haha

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:27 PM »
Was anyone playing circus music?  Sometimes the hokey-pokey is in order.
Thread killer

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2013, 05:31 PM »
Well my phone decided to make a trip down the hole. I was on Lake Hattie and had the Gz rugby phone at the time. Plunk down it went. The nice thing was it went straight down and we were fishing shallow. I could see it. Grabbed a treble hook and started fishing for my phone. I caught it and on the way up it started to ring. No joke got it top side dried it off and returned the call. From that experience all my Friend now own a Gz military grade phone. I'll never go back. Good phones. This summer I took a spill into the lake and my new commando didn't even blink a eye. It works just fine.   
No one left behind.     

Offline mittenclamman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2013, 06:36 PM »
I was fishing Healy with my father in-law over the holidays. Dropped my favorite rod off my lap while trying to help him unhook a fish, five minutes later we catch a double with my jig head wrapped around his line. Two fish and the rod!

Offline coldoutside

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Never hurts to have a good size magnet with you while ice fishing. Seems like how careful you are something is going down the hole.

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 PM »
My brother is having the worst luck this year. He has dropped his flash light while checking a hole. We were jigging and stood up with his phone in his lap and down that went. Then someone yelled flag so he jumped up and kicked his dewalt battery in the hole while jigging. At least he caught some fish haha
with a fisheries biology degree,  that dewalt battery scares me a bit i cringed when i read that. l
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Stood up to get my father-in-law a beer on Saturday and down the hole went my SOG knife off my lap.  Just had to watch it helicopter slowly down to Davey Jone's Locker at 30 feet...

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2013, 11:37 AM »
My brother sneezed and his dentures went down the hole in 28 feet of water. Not much you could do. It really ticked him off when he couldn't eat the apple, nuts, and sandwhich I packed for lunch  ;D

WS

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Lost another pair of pliers down the hole at Dever a couple of weekends ago. Hopefully that is all I drop down the hole this year.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:16 PM »
cell phn should be away and in pocket with flap closed when not in use. NEVER placed in lap! what do you need a Dewlt battery for? if for drill, why was it not on the drill? where was the drill? how do you drop a flashingt down the hole? if a AA batery flashlight, it should have had a lanyard on it and hang it around your neck. when someone yells "FLAG!" why did he have to jump up? just look up to see if it's yours. if not, don't worry about it. if it IS yours, take your time. it ain't going anywhere.   

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Ice fishing made me loose my mind does that count?
olefish

Offline monoped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Have considered making a sacrifice right away to try to choose,...
Hole in ice attracts loose and dropped objects.
Value adds speed.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I've lost two bells that were on the tip of my pole. Thicker pole and I always put a bell on the one farthest away from me.....It's like the fish know. Gets hit hard, pole almost down the hole twice, didn't catch either fish and lost both the bells.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I was in my fishhouse with my brand new one burner Coleman stove lite and kicked it down the hole while it was still burning my Son and another fellow were in the house and watched me do they laughed there a$$e$ off. 

Fish I caught a 35" Northern pike left it on the ice by the hole I caught it in only to find out a little while latter it was gone the only place it could have gone is back down the hole.

I threw a spoon to a guy about 15 yards away it hit the ice bounced a couple of times and down the hole it went.  :woot:

One night at Peck I was walking in the dark and stepped on a polar tip up and down the hole it went.

Just to name a few poles, pliers, glasses, chipping bar   

Offline aguy_and_adog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:35 AM »
To add to the list...I donated a pole holder to Keyhole this year & my brother added another cell phone to the lake up in Fairbanks.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:32 AM »
I was in my fishhouse with my brand new one burner Coleman stove lite and kicked it down the hole while it was still burning my Son and another fellow were in the house and watched me do they laughed there a$$e$ off. 

Fish I caught a 35" Northern pike left it on the ice by the hole I caught it in only to find out a little while latter it was gone the only place it could have gone is back down the hole.

I threw a spoon to a guy about 15 yards away it hit the ice bounced a couple of times and down the hole it went.  :woot:

One night at Peck I was walking in the dark and stepped on a polar tip up and down the hole it went.Not a bad thing...making bottom structure.

Just to name a few poles, pliers, glasses, chipping bar

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:08 PM »
A few years back, my wife leaned over to scoop the slush out the hole and the Tri-Tronics transmitter unit for the e-collars on our dogs slipped out of her jacket into Halfmoon Lake.  65 FOW.  $200 for a replacement.....

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:14 PM »
A few years back, my wife leaned over to scoop the slush out the hole and the Tri-Tronics transmitter unit for the e-collars on our dogs slipped out of her jacket into Halfmoon Lake.  65 FOW.  $200 for a replacement.....

Ouch!  :woot:

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 12:23 AM »
them holes are like a vacume they suck up anything close to them. I've lost a few poles and scoops to it myshelf.

Offline WyoMinFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Drove over from Cheyenne to fish Saratoga derby this last weekend.  Sitting in portable Sunday AM, bent forward to finish skimming hole front hole at 0710 and the new ignition/starter/computer chip key for 2012 Dodge 3500 fell out of my front pocket, hit ice once and down to 12 foot bottom.  Had to have my spare set brought from Cheyenne so we could go back and watch football in the afternoon!  Have not checked on replacement costs yet, too afraid!!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Shaft of the auger came off the new jiffy last year and down the hole she went. 40 miles to town, 50' of rope and a new magnet (that now goes with me whenever I step on the ice). SAME spot two years prior took an old timer who had antique gear and my 10 year old drops the coolest ice scoop I'd ever seen to the depths. If i had the magnet it'd still be with us. I have NEVER lost of a rod to the abys until this year. Was pretty proud of it until two and almost a third left it's lovely spot on the bucket.

Down the hole is not the goal
more fish on the ice is always nice
Stories to tell or hearing me yell
I'll always come back because a good memory is good to lack!

Offline Coletrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Lost 2 poles, 1 scoop, 1 pole holder and a tip up. I have managed to snag a tip up and a pole off the bottom of keyhole though.
Coletrain

Offline WYO_CLC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Third trip out this year my 3yr old daughter steped in a hole. When I grabbed her and picked her up her boot came off just as her foot cleared the ice!  Down I went up to my arm pit and barly snagged her new boot by the laces!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.