Author Topic: connecting hitch????  (Read 2277 times)

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
connecting hitch????
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:07 AM »
My electrcion bent me a coduit hitch,it is made to hook to the outside of the sled,i would like to pin it.My question is,how do you guys reinforce the sled so pins won't pull through plastic.I have a viking sled.Any help would be appreciated.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: connecting hitch????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:09 AM »
My electrcion bent me a coduit hitch,it is made to hook to the outside of the sled,i would like to pin it.My question is,how do you guys reinforce the sled so pins won't pull through plastic.I have a viking sled.Any help would be appreciated.
I would use some 2"X2" square or round plate of some kind.
<===Lefty===

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:48 AM »
I used 1/8" sheet aluminum inside and out to reinforce the front of my sled.
I did this not because the hitch needed it but to protect the front of my sled from sharp ice and rocks.
I originally just used large fender washers inside and out and it worked fine for a couple of years.
There was no damage to the sled from the hitch attachment spots when I upgraded to the sheet aluminum.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I use fender washers 1+" diameter is usually fine. If your sled is frozen to the ground or lake try to free it before taking off. Gently accelerate from a stopped position and try to avoid sudden stops when fully loaded. I pull a jet sled with 100 lbs in it with no problem.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2013, 11:36 AM »
I have the fender washers too. Both inside and outside the sled with the eyebolts fastened with nylock nuts. I carry no less than 150lbs in my big jet sled pulled by a snowmobile.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:11 AM »
Thanks guys,i'll probably do it this weekend,supposed to be warm here.

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:28 PM »

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:38 PM »

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:43 PM »
This is what i came up with,used some steel that i had laying around.I knew there was a reason why i save "STUFF".

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I like the idea Sawmillr but I have a question about the mounting point on the sled. If you encounter any uneven terrain and the hitch has to swivel up it is either going to break the upper rim of your sled or tear the mount out of the sides.  These are just my thoughts and I would hope you understand the concern I have. I'm sure that there will be others that will comment on this and hopefully avoid a disaster on the lake.

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:45 AM »
I do have some travel up,i'll have to use it a little and see how it works,worse case i may have to move the mounts.thanks i'll keep a close eye on it first few times out.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:48 AM »
Nice emt hitch!  if it needs more travel you could bend both arms up closer to the sled and then down again near the hitch end. 

if you want the hitch to be able to swivel, get two mini clips and connect them with a bolt and nylock nut.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:59 AM »
I like the idea Sawmillr but I have a question about the mounting point on the sled. If you encounter any uneven terrain and the hitch has to swivel up it is either going to break the upper rim of your sled or tear the mount out of the sides.  These are just my thoughts and I would hope you understand the concern I have. I'm sure that there will be others that will comment on this and hopefully avoid a disaster on the lake.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Equinox attaches all of their hitches in the same way.
Most of the manufacturers that build quality boggans do.
I would have plates inside and out as well as make them larger though.

http://www.eqnx.biz/boggans/industrial.html

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2013, 02:14 PM »
Drifter -  Those are some heavy duty sleds and I do agree with the way they mount their hitch at the side of the sled. If you look at their mount it is mounted away from the side of the sled so that when it pivots it clears the rim of the sled. If Sawmil had a problem with his I'm sure that a little more on both bends would widen them up and he could stand off the sled mounts in the same manner. My only concern is that  the longer the mount on the sled the more force it will create on the mount to pull thru the sled, but a larger backing plate should take care of that.

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2013, 02:15 PM »
If the only place it gets used is on the lake you shouldn't have a problem, just avoid big snow drifts. If you pull on trails and on/off the lakes you may run into issues. Eye-bolts out the front is a basic design that usually provides ample travel at an economical price. JMO.

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:43 AM »
used new hitch twice,so far so good.has anyone made a homemade cover for thier sled.need one for tomorrow looking for ideas.

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:27 AM »
you can put a tarp over it and bungee it down to get you by I use a large cover for a clam house on the box of my utv when is sits with gear in it to keep the snow out so you should beable to find a premade one that will work

Offline fishmunkee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2013, 03:18 PM »
I made a cover for my old Frabil Twin XL since I couldn't find a factory one this year. Used a cheapo blue tarp, cut to size on two edges, folder over  (~2") and hot glue gunned the cut edges, put grommets about every 8" along each side, threaded bungee cord (~20') thru grommets and put over hand knot in cord to hold. Works out pretty well. Will probably make one with heavier fabric for next winter but the cheapo blue tarp material has withstood 3 or 4 trips already. Most local harware stores have all the stuff you need: tarp, bungee cord, glue gun and grommet kits.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Some ski or runner peices would help reduce the drag and get the sled body up out of the snow so that it doesn't plow as much in front.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.