Author Topic: Clear and Silver lakes Today 3/20/05  (Read 3180 times)

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
Clear and Silver lakes Today 3/20/05
« on: Mar 20, 2005, 07:56 PM »
Drove past Silver lake and there were two die-hards out still fishing on the ice. Also drove over to Clear Lake and saw a dozen folks fishing on the North end of the lake.  No one fishing off the public access. Might go there in the morning :D I feel like the old saying- The last person here turn out the lights! ;) :tipup:

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Re: Clear and Silver lakes Today 3/20/05
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:03 PM »
My kids are on Spring break this coming week and my wife is workin, I would join you if I was able too, dang electric bill is getting pretty steep on here with you leaving all the lights on Goggleye.

LOL

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2005, 08:12 PM »
Come on up, I'll give you a ride from Angola.  Meet you at the tri-state bait and tackle ;D  I here the ice is great at Gun Lake north of Kalamazoo, they are catching gills and perch.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:00 PM »
Hmmmmm   sounds good let me see what happens

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:51 AM »
I fished clear lk sat and sun on the north end. There had been a lot of big gills in the area but sat and sun we only caught big crappie.  We had to site fish them they were very fussy and would not hold on to your jig for very long. I did best on a chartruese ice fly. The ice was still good when we left sun afternoon but it was starting to go there was about 10". If you go keep an eye on the shore line so you dont have to wade back.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Fished this morning on Clear - ice was in good shape - shoreline pretty good too.  Fish didn't bite too good though, gonna try again tomorrow morning :)

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 05:29 AM »
gett`um Mark,,,,,,lol,,doesnt sound like the tails did ya any good,,,, all be said,,lol,, I had those in other pocket on Saturday...lol..soaked to da bone maan,,,skibbys were even wet,,lol,,,LOVE IT !!!!
  oh ya....    GETT`um Mark!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Fished on Clear Lake this morning with Piggyn. Bite was slow but caught a few real nice crappies. Also a big goggleye  Great to fish with you again Piggyn!
Ice was good! Maybe I'll go again tomorrow morning

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2005, 08:08 PM »
Great to fish with you again Piggyn!

Yeah, that was a lot of fun sight fishing.  I can't wait to try that again next season!  That ended up being a pretty decent mixed bag of panfish.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2005, 09:38 AM »
Were you guy's fishing on the north end by the condos? Did you see any of those monster gills while you were site fishing? Were the crappie hitting good or were their more lookers than takers. Sorry for all the questions but it's kill'en me not to be out there!

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Were you guy's fishing on the north end by the condos? Did you see any of those monster gills while you were site fishing? Were the crappie hitting good or were their more lookers than takers. Sorry for all the questions but it's kill'en me not to be out there!

That was only the first time I've fished Clear Lake, so I'm not sure exactly where we were on the map.  I think that we were on the NW end, but goggleye would know for sure...

A guy fishing in that area caught some really nice bluegill.  He had one that was about 12" long.  :o  It was a HAWG!  We (at least I) didn't see any giant gills while sight fishing, although I did see 3 pike!  We were fishing a little E of that guy, and there seemed to be more crappies in our area.

goggleye caught some nice crappies earlier in the day and I lost a couple more good ones, but they got really tough as noon approached.  I looked down one hole, and there were at least 8 crappies between 10" and 13" down there.  Four of them approached my bait, but they stopped an inch short and then slowly swam away.  It was a tough bite, but it was still cool, because we caught 5 different kinds of fish: crappies, bluegill, redears, rock bass, and perch.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline goggleye57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2005, 10:50 AM »
Yep we were out in front of the Condos.  Lots of lookers not many takers.  Not going back.  On the Indiana Sportsman they said a guy went through near the shore.  I've been in icy water several times - it takes your breath away :P  I'm done ice fishing in Indiana for the season :tipup: Asphalt kid you can turn off the lights if you are ready :D

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2005, 11:26 AM »
OK Thanks Goggleye, Ice fishing board will be closing here in the next few weeks all post related to open water fishing should be directed to www.myfishfinder.com Thanks for a great season everyone.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2005, 09:20 AM »
Googleye: I found the crappie to be the same way when i fished that area on last sat and sun. A guy that was fishing a little futher out told use he missed 6 of those big hog gills when they would only take the spikes in their mouth, never the jig and hook. Those fish can make you crazy.

Offline iceprowler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • flag's up!!! RUN
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2007, 10:23 AM »
i only fish clear for pike and walleye. too many damn trout to catch when your trying to catch perch or gills

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.