Author Topic: Folding hardside shanty build  (Read 17657 times)

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
Folding hardside shanty build
« on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:17 AM »
Started a hardside folding shanty. I wanted more space then my hub provided. I based it on the michiana shanty but made it bigger. 6'6" X 5' X 6'6" tall.

I just finished the hardboard insulation install last night. Now to re-install the walls and build the bench and skiis. cff

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Folding hardside shanty build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:45 PM »
All right. more pics.. I have finished the hard board install.

Here they are all lined up ready to install.

First wall up.

More walls installed..

all walls and roof on.

All done the install.
 I tried my little black cat heater last night. It was toasty warm in about ten minutes. I'm going to install a bench along the pink wall with built in storage.  Still need to cut the holes, the hut will have 4 holes.
The hut was built using recycled materials for everything except for one sheet of luan ply for the base sides and one sheet of ply for the base. All the wood was coated in epoxy resin to water proof it and has the added bonus of noticeably stiffening the whole hut up considerably. I was planning on building the one side as a ski to tow it out on the ice but with it being 5 feet high when tipped on it's side I'm thinking it'll be easy to have it blown over on a windy day. I'll build Skiis for the bottom instead and tow it laying flat most times and still add puck board to the one end to be able to tip it on it's side to tow it when it's not windy and to move it around the garage without damaging it. I can't wait to get it out on lake simcoe for some tasty perch action..cff 

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2013, 02:46 PM »
ok. I though I resized the pics enough to get them to fit on the page better. I guess I'll need to fix that for next time.

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:04 AM »
Very nice looking build!

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:52 AM »
nice looking shack there.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:58 AM »
Looking good!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:23 PM »
Very nice clean build,  what kind of wood did you use.   It's a work of art,  love the contrast of light and dark.  Did you pit a varnish on it?  What was the final floor measurement. 
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:35 PM »

I agree....Excellent job building your Ice Hut....You should be selling them.
 Just wish I was half as talented as you are even just figuring out the measurements for a tight fit
folded up.
 Again.....Excellent Build.

Bob

FISH SAFE FOR YOUR FAMILIES.
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline griz901

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Dang - lost my bait!"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Sure can tell when a person has real talent as a craftsman!   :bow:

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:31 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I just copied michianas build so I should thank him. Thanks Michianafisherman!
I'm really looking forward to using this ice hut when it's all finished.. I like the portability of my hub shelter but I often find  the need to stand upright and stretch after a bit of sitting. (I suppose it might have been easier to buy a bigger hub?) I won't be able to get it out for at least a week. I was out on lake simcoe yesterday and I think access is going to be iffy untill we can park on the ice plus there was lot's of jagged ice piled up for at least a 1/4 mile from shore. I'll need to pull the shanty out with the skidoo.

Very nice clean build,  what kind of wood did you use.   It's a work of art,  love the contrast of light and dark.  Did you pit a varnish on it?  What was the final floor measurement.

Inside measurements are 5' X 6 1/2' X 6 1/2' tall. I'm 6'4" so I need the headroom to stand upright. Spruce ply for the floor, Luaan doorskin for the outside base and strips. Cedar for the uprights and all structural wood. The luaan were off cuts given to me(Free!) and the cedar was recycled from a building being renovated(free again!) the insulation was free as well from a local farm that was used to insulate a barn. (That's why it's 2 different colours.) Can you see my goof up on the insulation? I coated it all on the outside with epoxy resin that was leftover from my cedar strip boat build. That really stiffened the base up. Now this week I'm hoping to get the interior finished and the skiis made to tow it out and catch some perch. I'll post some more pics as soon as more work is done. cff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:34 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. I just copied michianas build so I should thank him. Thanks Michianafisherman!

Your welcome!

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:48 PM »
I added some more items to the hut. I finished my bench seating and cut the holes in the floor. Here I'm showing where I added some T nuts and knock down hardware to stiffen up and wind proof the hut. they are added to the 2 back corners and the top at various locations. They really help and easy to use..

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2013, 05:58 PM »
Here's a pic of the bench seat. I will likely modify it in the future. I just needed somewhere to start. The center section will hinge or just lift out with the 2 side sections screwed in place.

Well lookey here 600 x 450 pic size fits perfect..

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 14, 2013, 09:08 PM »
I have been hidden in the shadow's like a gnarly pike that has drooled enough over the tasty bait to say,  I like this build!  I am starting the drawing/planning stage of building or attempting to build a Michiana of my own.  Thank you for displaying your pictures and stories,  the shanty is a truly functional piece of art and is all inspiring.

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Skavenger thanks for the kind words.. All I can say is I'm enjoying building it. You will too.
 I am starting to think of a one man version... plus all the improvements that you think of as you build and figure things out. 
All right.. onto tonights installment.
I am torn between building a big ski on one end and towing it standing up like Michianafisherman or building skis for the bottom and towing it flat. I'm worried that it get blown over in the wind. I fish Lake Simcoe and it can get very windy . So tonight I built some skis. 2X6 pt with puckboard for runners on the bottoms.

Here it is finished screwed in place.
 These things are slick. I can push it all over the garage easily.. I should have no trouble towing it across the lake..

My son helped me load it into the truck tonight for a trial run. It fit.. barely. No pic of that, sorry.

I think I'll screw some of this puck board to the one end to make it easier to move around the garage when I'm storing it.. 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:25 AM »
I have long thought of an one man version. I have some ideas for some awesome folding walls and heater location, but when it all comes down to spending the money or saving very little weight, you will find it is just as easy to build a two man. The materials don't cost that much more and You can move the two man around just as easy. I can tell you, if I could fold my 8x8 by myself I would take it every time I go out. I have even hauled two of my two man shanties out by myself just to see if I could do it. It wasn't long after that I figured I could make the 8x8 and get it out there too. So my vote is to make a nice two man and when you go by yourself, enjoy the room.

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Yes this is really a 2 man with room for an extra. My idea for a one man is more to run and gun, I like to go to some back lakes that require a snow machine at least a couple times a year and that usually leaves me on my own since I'll take a day off work to enjoy the solitude. But yes I can see how this will be much more comfortable than squeezing into a one man.   

Offline Beeler

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Here is my 1 man folding shack
Don't know how much it weights but it light.

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Nice build Beeler. What are you using for seating?

Offline Beeler

« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Tri-Chair

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:23 PM »
I finally got it on the ice.. My son  and I took it up to Lake simcoe saturday for a little perch action. As you can see it was a bit messy on the drive up. Everything was coated in salt spray.

It was easy enough for us to lift it into the truck and take it with us.. I'm not sure I could do it myself.
I hooked it up to my sled and it towed real easy.. Too easy in fact.. I had to remind myself it was there and to keep the speed down.
We found our spot and set it up in no time.

Inside it was toasty warm.. It wasn't a windy day so I can't say how warm it'll be with a breeze but it was a constant cycle of getting too hot and having to open the door to cool off..

Luckily the perch were more than happy to keep us company.

My son also caught a couple of these guys.. Herring.. cisco..whatever.. There's no season so they have to go back.. still fun though.

Now to make some hole inserts and fine tune the storage situation.

Offline buckfordave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:28 PM »
sweet looking shack!!

Offline Snowwalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Great looking shack

Offline Moodster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:28 PM »
Nice job.  I really want to build something similar to this. 

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:54 PM »
That is pretty sweet.  If I had place that I fished often that I could an ATV on I would love to make one of these.  The problem is right now it would not get as much use, and the wife would want to know where I am going to store it. Looks like you will enjoy it.

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:16 PM »
I tried a folding shanty a few years ago, it was a modified fish Ontario style.  Needless to say my first trial at it was mediocre at best and the shack was retired to the loft of the barn while I rethink my design.
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline cold carpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:21 AM »
I built a version of the Ontario, I should get up pics of it. The two things I found tricky was 1) getting the tarp tight and 2) getting it to lay flat.
The tarp is trial and error as far as getting it tight, but notso tight  it rips when you open/close it, and I had to mount 1 wall higher (2x4 blocks under the hinges) on one side to get everything to close flat.

It is way warmer than my Shappell 2000 on windy days though!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2013, 09:45 AM »
The house turned out well. Hope you have a lot of enjoyment with it.

WS

Offline Yukon Yahoo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:56 PM »
nice build.
I have often thought that these shelters would be (more) amazing if done up with a layer of fiberglass encasing the foam insulation. I miss fishing in Ontario, not many ice anglers if the Yukon - I do not know why the fishing is great, the season is a safe 5 months long, whats not to like??? the cold perhaps, but with a shelter like yours it would be a non issue.

again nice build!
there are only two seasons up here: winter and construction

Offline icefishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2013, 07:48 PM »
I was wondering which color of insulation lets in more light, I like it darker in the shack so I can sight fish.  Great build, I'm going to try to get one of these built for next season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.