Author Topic: Trapping Minnows  (Read 602 times)

Offline uplures

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gone fishin!
Trapping Minnows
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:02 PM »
A couple of days ago a game warden checked us on East Bass Lake so I took the opportunity to ask him about minnow trapping. He gave me the talk about not harvesting minnows from the Lake Michigan watershed, but told me that any body of water in the Superior watershed was fine to trap minnows in. Tonight at Gander Mountain the gal handed me my receipt for the Suckers I'd bought and told me to carry it with me so that I can prove where I bought them from. My question is how do those who trap their own minnows prove where they trapped them at? I can't hand a game warden a receipt for minnows I've trapped in the Superior watershed.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you handle it?

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trapping Minnows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:10 PM »
Great question! I've wondered the same thing myself. No idea, since you do not have prof, you get a ticket, depends on the the fishcop, I guess. I haven't been checked since they started that law.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline uplures

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gone fishin!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow to see what I can come up with. The law says we can trap minnows. The law says that we can use said minnow within designated waters. Fishcops tend to make the law up as they go along. We need to have this defined. They should issue an interpreter with each fishing license.

Offline big bobber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • cant fish during the day...learn to fish at night
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:15 AM »
stop and buy one minnow and get the reciept...ive never been checked for the bait im using...never should have asked...the guy you saw was mark leadman ...he seems to be a pretty straight shooter..his biggest concern is your license...
i just know they will bite if i stay another hour.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.