The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: "Ice Line" - black or red  (Read 1227 times)

Offline BT13

• IceShanty Rookie
"Ice Line" - black or red
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:55 PM »
I cannot recall the exact name, but I believe it's "ICE LINE"... black, or red, for antiabrasion etc. Various weight, some are braided.

Has anyone used it? Had luck with it? I've tried it for the last couple years and it's good for non-stretch, visibility on the ice, doesn't nick or cut easily. But the bite has been dismal.
Could be the sensitivity is poor; could be the fish see it and spook; could be the fisherman (so says my X).

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: "Ice Line" - black or red
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:01 PM »
I used a red color cajun line and it seemed to scare the fish away.     Presently I use a clear 15 pound flurocarbon line and am very  happy with it.  Doesn't stretch much at all, not much memory retention, holds good knots.   Costs a little bit more but delivers.  Recommended.
Thread killer

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:28 PM »
They say the red color is exposed to be invisible under water because red is the first color to be absorbed. Red is visible 0'-30'. Orange 0'-45', yellow 0'-60', green 0'-80', blue 0'-100', purple 0'-120'. Something like that.

Offline Walleywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Try some 6# nano, been using it for years. Holds up well minimum memory amazing strength, pulled in many 12# eye's as well as 20# + northerns just got play them out.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing equipment and that's pretty much the same thing!!!

Fish like no other, so you can catch like no other.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 08:08 PM »
They say the red color is exposed to be invisible under water because red is the first color to be absorbed. Red is visible 0'-30'. Orange 0'-45', yellow 0'-60', green 0'-80', blue 0'-100', purple 0'-120'. Something like that.
Knowing this information, I am surprized I don't see more of the colored lines in use.
Thread killer

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:54 AM »
I used a red color cajun line and it seemed to scare the fish away.     Presently I use a clear 15 pound flurocarbon line and am very  happy with it.  Doesn't stretch much at all, not much memory retention, holds good knots.   Costs a little bit more but delivers.  Recommended.

X2 WYIfish. Less stretch = a better hook set.

Offline JMaxxx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:22 PM »
I use the nano on my lighter rods and it works great.  I also use a tracer braid in green and dark green on my med. heavy rods.  both have no stretch, zero memory, and are extremely abrasion resistant

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:35 PM »
I use braided fly line backing on my tip=ups and love it for that application. I think it was 30 pound or so.
Thread killer

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2013, 08:21 PM »
I still haven't figured out why they say fish can't see red line but they put red on jigs and lures so fish can see it  :cookoo:
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline crazyfishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2013, 07:48 AM »
 P-Line Fluorocarbon, nice line, a bit pricey, but works great.It does have a bit of memory on a level wind reel. But, not casting on the ice are we. It must be nearly invisible, lots more bites.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2013, 08:11 AM »
I still haven't figured out why they say fish can't see red line but they put red on jigs and lures so fish can see it  :cookoo:

I saw a test of lines underwater, which debunked the whole "red is invisible underwater" myth.  It is true that water absorbs the longer wavelengths like red, and that you cannot see those colors when the water is more than 15 feet deep.  However, they just appear as black.  There is a big difference between black line and invisible line ;)

Offline fishley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:11 AM »
P line Make a ice line now but I think it only goes up to 8lb ! I use 100% fluro p-line from 10-17lb on lakers and 4-8 for almost everything else! I use the clear becouse of our gin clear water! Why use a line that stands out or cast shadows!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.