The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Malta Area Fishing Trip  (Read 1256 times)

Offline icefishinnut

• IceShanty Rookie
Malta Area Fishing Trip
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:17 AM »
Some buddies and I usually make an ice fishing trip over super bowl weekend (this year February 1-3).  The place we usually go on the west side of the state isn't looking promising for having any ice by then.  We've always talked about fishing around Malta (Nelson and/or Forchette Bay).  None of us have fished either of those places in the winter.  I was wondering about places to stay... Is the Sleeping Buffalo decent? would any of you that have spent much time over there recommend somewhere else?  Can a guy buy bait, etc. in Malta? or should we plan on stocking up in Great Falls?  We are also kicking around the idea of bringing a motor home...  Can you reasonably expect to make it to Nelson or Forchette in such a rig?  Any and all information anyone is willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Malta Area Fishing Trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:32 AM »
PM sent...an option for you

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:03 AM »
I replied to your other post in the conditions area with the info you are wanting.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:15 AM »
The road from Malta to Forchette Bay is pretty decent.  You can travel that in a motorhome as long as it's not raining or drifing.  It's about 55 miles or so.  The road from Zortman to Forchette Bay is an All-Weather road as long as it's not drifting.  It's around 50 miles as well.  Huge campground at Forchette.  If you go, take lots of extra fuel, water, propane!!!

Offline icefishinnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Thanks much for the information fellas!  Much appreciated!

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:31 PM »
The thing I miss most about living in Malta is Nelson.  On the west side the best perch day of the season would be a slow day at nelson and the biggest perch of the year would be a throwback ;D

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Stay at the Sportsman in Malta and fish Nelson. Nelson is a great, manageable reservoir.

Sportsman Motel
231 N 1st Street East Malta, MT 59538‎
(406) 654-2300

Offline Cochise66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:43 PM »
The Sleeping Buffalo is an experience all to itself.  Stayed there twice.  Have you ever seen the Shinning ?  Think of that -- only not so nice.   Those who have stayed there know what I mean.  Its convienent because its so close to Nelson. 

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 10:50 PM »
The Sleeping Buffalo is an experience all to itself.  Stayed there twice.  Have you ever seen the Shinning ?  Think of that -- only not so nice.   Those who have stayed there know what I mean.  Its convienent because its so close to Nelson.

now thats funny ;D ;D ;D ;D
So many fish, so little time.

Offline haffshak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:58 PM »
Whatch out for the lady that steals your beer in the hallway at night at the Sleeping Buffalo!

Offline icefishinnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for all of the pointers!  I'll file a report upon our return!

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:16 PM »
Thanks again to everyone for all of the pointers!  I'll file a report upon our return!

I hear the sheets are so dirty that they are actually crunchy.  Keep us posted on how your treatments go for the the bedbugs, lice and crabs after your return ;D

Offline njoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:18 PM »
sheets?? you got sheets? it must have improved!!!! ;D

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:29 PM »
sheets?? you got sheets? it must have improved!!!! ;D

No.  Hell no.  I never stayed there, hell no!  Besides, I lived in Malta.  The crunchy sheets comes from a buddy of mine who stayed there once, he said he took them off the bed and slept in his cloths.  On a side note, the night he stayed there was the same night that he was drinking in the bar there and a lady started hitting on him; turns out her husband was there too...and wanted to watch :o  And no, my buddy declined the offer and thus he didn't make the sheets any crunchier than they already were/are ;D

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:38 PM »
Like I said in the other thread in the conditions page: I wouldn't board my dog at that place. It is straight up nasty and creepy. I prefer to not end up a sacrifice in some bizarre ritual, I'll stay in Malta or camp in a tent or RV when I am up there.

Offline icefishinnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:41 PM »
I hear the sheets are so dirty that they are actually crunchy.  Keep us posted on how your treatments go for the the bedbugs, lice and crabs after your return ;D
  I meant I'd be reporting back on the fishing.  Afther the rave reviews on here about the Sleeping Buffalo, I think we'll probably look for another place...probably the Sportsman in Malta.  We're always up for an adventure, but antibiotics can only do so much!  Thanks again!

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:16 PM »
  I meant I'd be reporting back on the fishing.  Afther the rave reviews on here about the Sleeping Buffalo, I think we'll probably look for another place...probably the Sportsman in Malta.  We're always up for an adventure, but antibiotics can only do so much!  Thanks again!

Oh come on, live a little!  If you are married, and come home with crabs, it'll be an awesome story to tell your wife "but honey, I got um from the bedsheets, honest!"

Offline icefishinnut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Oh come on, live a little!  If you are married, and come home with crabs, it'll be an awesome story to tell your wife "but honey, I got um from the bedsheets, honest!"
. I can hear it already..."really honey...I got crabs from the bed sheets and my hands smell like fish because of all the walleyes we caught...that would go over about as well as a fart in church..."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.