Author Topic: Anyone been by Massabesic?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone been by Massabesic?
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Just curious if anyone has checked it out yet.

Thanks!

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
Re: Anyone been by Massabesic?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Went by the Auburn side the 31st. Was shaping up pretty good. I'd say 75% had a skim.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:34 AM »
Thanks!!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Just drove down 28 past Massy, pretty much all skimmed right now, few open spots on the Manch side getting beat up by the north wind. No one fishing the beach near the circle, looked pretty thin there.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Headed that way tommorrow morning gna give it a try and see what happens..
Scott P.

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:44 PM »
I went this afternoon with my chisel.  I went out about 10 feet off shore and chiseled a hole.  2 wacks and I was through.  Ther might have been 2 inches of black ice and I think I am being generous.  Not enough for this 300 pound guy.  I hastily went back to shore.  I'd say massy needs a couple more nights of cold weather.

Also checked crystal lake in Manchester.  Maybe 4 inches of ice with half of it being crappy snow ice.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Thanks Burger

Offline icemanbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:34 AM »
I live right by Massi and if I was going to fish there I would stick to the bay off to the left of the Auburn ramp. Most of that cove has been frozen longer than the main lake, which was open just a week ago. My buddy checked yesterday and said he had 3" off of the shore in Auburn, but I wouldn't go out more than 100yds or so. I don't fish there because I never catch anything! You should be able to scare up a couple of crappies though, good luck and be safe.
Where else can a simple mortal like myself walk on water?

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:37 AM »
I live right by Massi and if I was going to fish there I would stick to the bay off to the left of the Auburn ramp. Most of that cove has been frozen longer than the main lake, which was open just a week ago. My buddy checked yesterday and said he had 3" off of the shore in Auburn, but I wouldn't go out more than 100yds or so. I don't fish there because I never catch anything! You should be able to scare up a couple of crappies though, good luck and be safe.

Thank you!! Do you mean left of where most of the boats launch in the summer, I think its calld "Claires Landing"?

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Fished straight out from the playground on the Auburn side today.. Fished from shore out to about 300 yards towards the middle. Had a solid 4-5" of black ice although no flags we had a great time. Be safe
Scott P.

Offline icemanbb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Good to know Buck, We must have grown 2 or 3" the last couple of nights. No crappie? I think I'll hit Pleasant tomorrow, they should have 3-4" by now off the beach. Good luck.
Where else can a simple mortal like myself walk on water?

Offline BuKhUnT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Unfortunately no crappie.. And yes was very surprised does not look safe at first glance had 2 cops and the fire chief stop by to give me there 2 cents!!
Scott P.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:04 PM »
Checked the ice on the Auburn side off of 121 today (oops, spot burn).   ;) ;D  Had 4-5" within 12 ft of shore but then it was sketchy with wet spots. Saw one person ice boating  :cookoo: . Left there and went to Little Massy (oops, did it again).  ;) ;D  Plenty of ice 6-8", went through a dozen bait in 2 hrs. All pickrel, all released. May go back on Wednesday.

Capt. Black

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:13 PM »
Thanks for your report Capt!!

We may try Massy Sunday before the Pats game...wether this week isnt looking great for ice making, but we shouldnt lose too much ice.

Offline Sinker19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I saw an ice boat out Saturday too. Good looking black ice, not sure of the thickness. I thought the main lake was open when i rounded the corner and it came into view, then I saw the guy buzzing around on his ice boat.  Good luck if you hit Massy. I've ice fished there about a dozen times over the years and haven't caught much, of course I don't know what I'm doing.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:50 PM »
Ive fished it more than that and never caught anything but this summer finally figured out where to find good trout in the boat, so now i want to ice fish the area and see if they are still holding in the area....We shall see!!

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Drove by the park on Rt 28 on Saturday and saw folks skating along the shoreline near the stream inlet (scary stuff there). Maybe 20 people...not all together. Also saw a string of half a dozen hole drilled along the yacht club shoreline. All the ice was blown clean and had clear black ice on it. I would be much more careful wondering away from shore or on anything that has snow on it. The place i fished on Sunday had 10+ inches of ice along the shoreline and where the ice was blown clear of snow. Away from shore as little as 20 yards and where snow had drifted, there was only 4 inches under 2-3 inches of slushy mess under 2-3 inches of snow....a little scary for me.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2013, 02:25 PM »
I'm finding that too MikeF... the glare ice areas had solid ice a good 8", but where there was a bunch of snow sticking to the top it was definitely rotten, thin ice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.