The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where to bring the kids??  (Read 797 times)

Offline kvjeff73

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to bring the kids??
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Hi, we've just started ice fishing and have yet to catch anything.  Tried Ravine Lake a few times last year, and North Lake once this year. 

We live in Cottage Grove and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good lake to bring the kids, where we'll actually catch something (anything) before they loose interest.  Preferably within an hour or two fo St. Paul.

By anything I do mean anything.  I don't expect people to give their secret hotspots away, but if you'd be willing to share any info on where we can go to catch a few tiny sunnies, crappies, northern I'd appreciate it!  Heck we'll even settle for carp, snails, boots, old tires!

Offline fishquick86

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Ice Fishing Addict"
Re: Where to bring the kids??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2013, 03:44 PM »
medicine lake in plymouth is usually a pretty good lake to fish. I haven't personally gotten down that way as I am up north a little ways but they have a tourney on there every year so it should be a good spot just know where you are going and what to look for as far as depth and what not.
Give a man a fish feed him for a day, teach a man how to fish gives you an excuse to leave on the weekends!!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:37 PM »
You have Forest and White Bear just north of ya, maybe try there.

Offline djp004

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:55 AM »
Seton Bay on Lake Minnetonka is a kids dream.  Pan fish all day and Northern for dad just follow the shacks

Offline MNiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:26 PM »
Lake Waconia always puts up some nice crappies on the West Side  ( I know Im from Idaho but used to live in MN)
Always remember, keep your stick on the ice- Red & Green

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:43 AM »
Big Marine should give the kids a bunch of stunted sunfish to catch. Just rig up with light line and real small bobber.

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.