Author Topic: On ice Live bait keeper  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
On ice Live bait keeper
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:43 AM »
I started doing this  a few years back especially nice for  shack fishing, If you get tired of carrying bait to and from your shanty, if you have a large bore auger, you can cut a hole just short of the thickness of ice, , then punch a small hole through the last little bit of ice, the hole willl fill up with fresh lake water, with a very small hole that bait typically cant fit thru, use a screen if using very small minnows. you can reopen easily by just punching open the small hole, and refresh water by scooping water from 1 hole to another on occassion, it will push some of the old water out the bottom of the hole. I will also do this if i dont take live bait, and use small perch or blue gills for tipups, nothing extra to carry.  The nice thing is, it will freezer over close to even so it isnt a trip hazard. Its like a mini aquarium.

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
Re: On ice Live bait keeper
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:30 PM »
I'd be Leary about Dnr showing up and they say that I released my bait into the lake.   
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2013, 05:50 PM »
Not a big fan of 1/2 drilled holes. They tend to break ankles if they can't freeze back up.

Offline gutshot_again

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 12:21 PM »
Keep in mind once a minnow touchs lake water you cannot legally or ethically transport those minnows to another lake.

lightningz - the holes are being used as a minnow bucket that are full of water.  They'll freeze over just fine.  But I agree with your point - I've stepped in too many 10" 1/2 holes used as anchors to encourage that practice.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.