Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: N.E iowa rivers ice fishing help!  (Read 1234 times)

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
N.E iowa rivers ice fishing help!
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Anyone know anything of ice fishing the rivers in marble rock, nashua greene or other areas? I've been open water fishing the area in the winter months for 10 years now and always hear talk of this. Just thought itd be worth a shot as I've never caught a keeper eye through the ice. Not looking for anyones secret spot just poking for some info.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: N.E iowa rivers ice fishing help!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:58 AM »
I grew up in Greene and never heard of anyone having luck ice fishing the rivers.  I would be cautious of the ice thickness changes due to flow.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:39 AM »
I grew up in Greene and never heard of anyone having luck ice fishing the rivers.  I would be cautious of the ice thickness changes due to flow.

Same here, I've debated about it before but haven't been crazy enough to try it yet. For Greene and MR, there are a few places I'd love to fish below the dams but the ice is probably iffy at best on the coldest years. As of yesterday, it's still open from the dam to the big island below Greene.

Ice above the dams is usually plenty thick but I've never had many spots there where I thought I needed to try.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Some good holes along the old boy scout camp shore in places. Haven't been by there since the big flood so not sure where they're at now. If there's a group of shacks, I guess it's gotta be worth a try sometime. I've caught some good crappies out of the river, not sure if they're on those or the eyes...

Offline Egts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:58 PM »
I grew up in Greene and ran snowmobiles up and down the river for years from below the damn in Greene to above the damn in Marble Rock and I would not recommend ice fishing it.  When froze over, the river always had inconsistent ice thickness.  Many times we broke through with the sleds in the same place that was fine the day before.  IMHO the Shell Rock river isn't a river to ice fish unless you have a hovercraft or Wilcraft.  I'm not trying to persuade anyone from not fishing a body of water, but unless you are 100% sure where the channel/current is one would be at high risk as thickness changes dramatically in just a foot or two.  I'd hate to hear about someone not returning home.  There are to many other places with quality fishing that are much safer....again IMHO.

Offline fishndude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2014, 12:11 AM »
We fish the river above Nashua, Chareles City, all the time. Plenty of ice. pretty good.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:26 AM »
I've been on the rivers for years. Go with a buddy and have an ice chisel/spud to continually check ice depth. Hardest part is trying to find the fish, haven't found them yet this year, but when I do.... ;D. If you are targeting walleye, a little current helps. Over the years most of our fish, walleye, smallies, crappies, etc have been caught in 6 fow or less. Never have caught anything in the deep holes (15-18 fow), but I still drill and check them every time I'm out.  Hope this helps, good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.