The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: The lost jigging rod  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Rampart Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
The lost jigging rod
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:27 PM »
Went to Pathfinder icefishing this weekend. Had Allison (my 5 year old daughter) with us and we were outside chasing a flag and bringing in a fish. When we got back to the shanty her barbie fishing pole was gone. A fish pulled it through the ice. She was crying and very upset. told me she couldn't fish without her barbie fishing pole. I rigged up a different fishing pole and got it all set up and in the water. I was trying to give it to her when I got a bite. I set the hook and handed her the fishing pole. she was still crying but was reeling in the fish. Then I saw it we hooked her barbie fishing pole by one of the eyes. I grabbed it as soon as it breached the water. The fish was still there. Gave Aliison her barbie fishing pole and she reeled in a 22 inch rainbow trout.

What a fun time we had, Even pulled up a 18 inch Walleye.

Offline jailbreak

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The lost jigging rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:52 PM »
Awesome, glad she got her pole and a very nice fish to go with it! ;D

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Those little kid poles will take a beating and keep on working. Great catch btw. :tipup:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:02 PM »
1 in a million chance, that is a great end to the story!
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline one last cast

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:08 PM »
1 in a million chance, that is a great end to the story!
I've seen it happen three times, twice on the ice and once in open water. it happens more often then you think. Also seen it with a guy that lost his deadstick down the hole, he then put a tip up in the now free hole and about 15 min later got his deadstick back and a nice pickerel to boot. :tipup:
Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.

Offline DeadSeaFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I get the SLOW bite alot!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:49 PM »
Awesome post rampart, i got a few stories like that as well, glad your daughter got redemption! lol
><{{{{*>~---

Offline Reel trouble

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Thats pretty cool  ;D

Offline fcfcadd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Awesome story but I think I am more amazed that you caught a walleye through the ice on pathfinder. So they can be caught. Lol no I'm glad your daughter caught the theif now she can eat him.

Offline Mac daddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:44 PM »
you are very lucky, my boys have dropped all kinds of things down the hole. And we are yet to recover one.

Offline Rampart Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:50 AM »
Talking to a guy at my work, He does all of the walleye tournaments during the open water season. He said this year they did better for walleye at pathfinder then they have done in a long time. I believe he told me the fish that won was 28 inches. He thought the eyes were making a comeback.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick question. . .
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:00 PM »
RH:

My curiosity got the best of me.  Are you drilling holes or putting in anchors with the yellow & black drill (DeWalt?) that I see in the background on one of your photos?

Great pix & yarn!

eyewinder
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:18 PM »
thats a cool ending....ive seen other guys lose rods down the hole....so when i leave them for a few minutes I hook a bungee to the reel and hook it to my sled or chair.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Great story! Is the Barbie a floating type? May be how you got it back.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline remme280

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:07 PM »
nice moves
Remme

Offline sagecreek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:33 PM »
I had that happen several years ago. A guy 50yards from me hooked it.
Mel

Offline Rampart Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Quick question. . .
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:30 PM »
RH:

My curiosity got the best of me.  Are you drilling holes or putting in anchors with the yellow & black drill (DeWalt?) that I see in the background on one of your photos?

Great pix & yarn!

eyewinder

eyewinder,

Yeah I use the DeWalt to drill a hole. it just makes it easier to start the anchors. I got one of those clam anchor drill attachments for Christmas, and just a heads up they do not work with Eskimo anchors. busted it trying to make it work. The idea was a good one, but the design had some flaws. Might have to fabricate something.  :)

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Home Depot had a pile of 18-v DeWalts w/2 batteries (Ni-cads, I believe) for $99 the last time I was in.  I was considering getting one, but doubted it would have the guts to drill a 6" hole in 12" of ice.  I'm sure it would work fine for starting anchor holes, though.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline SolidH20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:22 PM »
That is quite a story. I was surprised when I was able to catch my rod holder after it fell through, which was nothing compared to recovering a  Barbie pole AND a fish.

Offline KerPlunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:45 PM »
I wonder how many 3 foot poles, with Disney characters, lie on the bottom of Wyoming ponds, I know we have put Three down there! ;D
“I caught you a delicious bass.” —Napoleon Dynamite

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.