The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen trip...  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
Boysen trip...
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:07 AM »
Been out here on boysen for 3 days. Not one fish.... We have 24 tip ups out. Jigged for hours...nothing... >:(

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Boysen trip...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:33 AM »
where are you fishing? I normally do better jigging at boysen. I always fish good drop offs and the humps.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick question. . .
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 11:55 AM »
I don't mean to hijack thread--off-line answer would be great--where do you usually stay when overnighting at Boysen?  I usually fish solo and would like to find affordable accommodations within 30 minutes of ice destination on Boysen.

Thnx in advance,
eyewinder
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Mr. Bean Head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:00 PM »
Might try moving to a differant depth or location

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2012, 12:12 PM »
I agree with the above. Need to move around and jig the fish. Make them bite.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:00 PM »
I don't mean to hijack thread--off-line answer would be great--where do you usually stay when overnighting at Boysen?  I usually fish solo and would like to find affordable accommodations within 30 minutes of ice destination on Boysen.

Thnx in advance,
eyewinder

I like thermopolis myself a little bit farther but taking a dip in the hotsprings at night and the safari club bar at the Days Inn you can't be beat it.  Also if you got a big crowd, the coachman in thermop has a room that can hold 6 guys comfy. Its a big room with 4 beds and a bunk bed. Very nice and good accommodations and very well priced. Room 8 if you call for reservations. You'll just have to fish over by the dam. If not you have to go all the way around through shoshoni and that can be alittle bit farther. If to fare shoshoni has a couple of hotels that are decent. Just my opinion.
No one left behind.     

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 02:17 PM »
I like thermopolis myself a little bit farther but taking a dip in the hotsprings at night and the safari club bar at the Days Inn you can't be beat it.  Also if you got a big crowd, the coachman in thermop has a room that can hold 6 guys comfy. Its a big room with 4 beds and a bunk bed. Very nice and good accommodations and very well priced. Room 8 if you call for reservations. You'll just have to fish over by the dam. If not you have to go all the way around through shoshoni and that can be alittle bit farther. If to fare shoshoni has a couple of hotels that are decent. Just my opinion.

Hilarious!  We used to stay in the BIG room at the coachmen.  Jeez got hammered there- :o
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:32 PM »
Yeah we moved twice.... drilled over 100 holes for sure. It was just crap fishing.

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:40 PM »
what area of the lake were you fishing?

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:03 AM »
we moved from side to side. Finally just went home after going threw 10 dozen minnows moving around. We are going to Pathfinder next time.

Offline lipripper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Hey just checking if anyone else has any better news on boysen. Im headed out solo on and off for the next five days planning to fish badwater and Fremont bay. Maybe ocean lake would be better? Considering doing the benifit derby also so let me know anything on ocean please. Thanks all happy new year
Flags a flippin, lips a rippin!

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:42 PM »
GO TO OCEAN. My friend was at ocean for just a day trip and used six flags they got eight perch. The only time i ever get skunked is at boysen. Im over that lake. I have caught lots of good fish out of there....but im tired of spending the money on gas, propane, and bait. Oh and the time to get skunked. Im just going to have to fork up the cash to catch some big ling and lake trout on the rez...

Offline lipripper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:52 PM »
That seems to be the going advice. Talked to a few guys thay hit ocean and got good numbers within there group, goose nob I believe. How is the perch fishing with small  jigs and vexilar? I like to rig tipups for walleye.

Offline doggbiter

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They call me Fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Just got done cleaning fish, from in front of the marina....4 walleye,7 perch, and 3 trout! 3 people jigging for about 4 hours!
5 YEAR ICE ADDICT
Busch-Light.......CANS
Blue-toppin.........and lip-rippin
DON'T GET NO BETTER!!

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:13 AM »
how cold was it the 1st there?

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:52 AM »
how cold was it the 1st there?
We had -18 at Ocean Lake. Thank goodness for hole covers.
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline rludwar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I'd like to come catch some ling, any good spots to to go after?

Offline kpowers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:14 PM »
i would try the flaming gorge for ling thay are catching them like crazy and a lot of big one's

Offline Walleywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Boysen can be a tough lake to fish, l know this personally as I moved to Casper from North Dakota. I was use to 8+ pound eye's all day long on the Missouri, and 2lb + perch out of Devils Lake. But I will tell you if you do your homework and find the water column their in the fishing out their is some of the best around. I fish about 180 days out of the year an a 1/3 of them are at Boysen. Can't tell you how many 12lb eye's I've hauled in, or the number of perch an crappie. Their there you just got to do your homework, dont be afraid to do something different than the others. I do like the PK lures but will tell you salmo is by far my most used. Now what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander. You just need to learn from your mistakes. For me theirs nothing better than going away from the crowd and slaying em  ;)
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing equipment and that's pretty much the same thing!!!

Fish like no other, so you can catch like no other.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip of the hat. . .
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:50 AM »
WW:

My hat's off to you sir--not only for catching fish, but for letting the rest of us know that persistence pays off on Boysen (as it does on many other bodies of water).  All too often, reading through a thread is quite discouraging to fishermen unfamiliar with the body of water being discussed.

Sharing information is a terrific option on this board, and I'm always and grateful when someone drops a tidbit or two, without endangering their favorite spot(s).  I've only spent two days (a couple years ago) on Boysen, and didn't catch many fish.  But Boysen's size and structure has me sitting over here on my side of the mountain, hoping to spend more days there in the future.

Thnx again,
eyewinder
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:58 AM »
There wasn't one person around us while we were there at Boysen. Pathfinder did pretty good. About a fish an hour for us.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Definitely need persistence, and going outside the norm. Ive caught walleye from 5ft. to 60ft. I've even caught a few on my suspended trout lines. One thing I kinda follow is: just because there are people all over a spot doesn't mean there ARE fish there, it means there WAS fish there. That school of perch could be a mile away by the next day, so I usually avoid crowds.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline Walleywizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:25 PM »
Spot on Kyle, fish move their for you must move. We've all had days we were lucky enough to sit in one spot all day a catch fish. But thats not everyday, I strive on slow days because I move. If I drill a hole and work it for 15 minutes and don't mark anything I move. I break it down to size, football field , basketball court, tennis table. If you get a bite once an hour your in the football field, once every 15-20 minutes your on the basketball court, once every 30 seconds your on the tennis table. This analogy was given to me by Jason Mitchell, it holds so true. So next time you go to a new body of water, instead of going thats a lot of water acres you can say thats a few football fields. If you change your mindset, an learn what your doing wrong and right you will definitely start filling the freezer.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing equipment and that's pretty much the same thing!!!

Fish like no other, so you can catch like no other.

Offline Lunkergrubber

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Quick question. . .
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:03 PM »

Thnx in advance,
eyewinder

[If you want to be real close, try the Desert Inn in Shoshoni.  Not a 5star but comfortable and affordable.]

Lunkergrubber

Offline Wyomingfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2013, 04:33 PM »
yeah with all the lines we had out we were spread all over the place. We put in a couple at 4 ft, we often catch ling off of those ones.

Offline Lunkergrubber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:35 AM »
Usually Poison Creek produces first because it ususally has first solid ice.  However, as time moves into the mid January, anywhere next to the old stream channel(s) between Poison Creek and Badwater has produced well in years past. A few years back it produced the state record sauger.  Think folks need to be patient, put out some tip-ups and jig. Also think folks should not be afraid to fish dark hour because I have had a lot of luck fishing before sunrise and after sunset. 

Offline lipripper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2013, 10:18 PM »
Im getting wooped here guys, i fished ocen a day and caught perch and boysen for 2. Fished from 12-30 foot minnows off the bottom and absolutely NOTHING! fished badwater, poison, fremont and everything between.  I know its early but come on wheres the walleyes?

Offline dfauverii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:24 PM »
  I've had alot more good days on boysen than fishless ones.  Last ice season was a little rough.  Had limited access, got stuck, and got into a bunch of tiny walleye.  Should have moved around more but that's what's got me inspired for this year.  A whole new approach.  That is until the perch numbers come backt then i'll be back in the usual spots. 
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him catch fish.

Offline drahthaar1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:20 AM »
Flaming gorge for ling! Lost dog area.

Offline lipripper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Fished poison yesterday and picked up one ling! :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum