Author Topic: advice n portale shacks  (Read 2580 times)

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
advice n portale shacks
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 01:00 PM »
looking at getting a portable shack I have a huge camper right now that doesn't allow me access to the lake until its solid enough to drive on. its actually for sale right now as I don't get to use it much. any tips or preferences would be great on portable shacks. is it better to have a floor or not? is it nicer t have the flip over style instead of the pop out? which is more stable in the wind and east of setting up? thanks for the info.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: advice n portale shacks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2012, 03:18 PM »
I have a two man Clam (flip over) that works really well.  It's built on a sled which makes it somewhat portable, all my gear and auger fits nicely inside.  It has a bit more weight to it even without the gear but fits nicely in he back of the truck.  My buddy has a 3 man tent that quickly and easily pops right up and does have anchors.  Both of the ones I have used dont have floors.  Both have their pros and cons.
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Schmits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Just like BlueDevil said, they both have their pros and cons. I have fished from both, and think that it comes down to deciding what kind of fishing style you have. I primarily fish from a Frabill Guardian, and like it very much for what it does do. The main difference between the two is the integrated sled, it is both the biggest advantage and biggest drawback in my opinion.

I like the sled style ice tents because of the mobility they give you. I can load everything into the sled, slide it into the truck go. It sets up quickly and unloads easily. Add the towbar to it, hook it up to the snow machine, and you have an excellent platform to be fishing snow covered or back country lakes from. The ample room and excellent seating make them very comfortable for two people to fish all day from. When I want to go out and "run and gun" this is definitely my go shelter.

The sled style tents are bulky both in storage and in transport, they also tend to weigh more than other options out there. The weight is enough to deter me from wanting to drag the tent any considerable distance, I find it tough to gain traction on ice and just tough to drag in deep snow. In my experience, the tip overs seat 2 people. Some advertise 3 and I'm not saying you can't, but realistically, only 2 people can comfortably fish from them.

Pop out tents are great when you are heading out with a group. Load up the gear, head out onto the lake, pop up the tent or tents, and you instantly have a mobile HQ. They work great to fish with more people on cold days or, throw a heater in, drill holes all around and use as a warm up shack. I can't explain why, but I find that the tent style do more to promote a feeling of community when fishing in a large group. Be sure to bring your lawn chairs, and your favorite beverage that keeps you warm.

As far as floors go, only in my perm. shack please. I can't remember a time when the snow on a lake has been flat enough to facilitate a floor in any type of temp. shelter without having to do some serious snowscaping with a shovel first. In the end it comes down to personal preference. Anything that gets me out on the lake, and out of the wind and cold is a great shelter in my books.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:43 PM »
thanks for the advice. that's a good point about the snow not being level with a floor I never thought of that. I like the idea of the popup shack but think it may be easier to throw everything in the sled and go having chairs built right in. my biggest question is which would hold up better in the wind and how hard are they to setup when its a bit windy is one better than the other in that aspect? ad what kinda weight wuld the built in chairs be able to handle. thanks again.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:14 PM »
If anchors aren't supplied a lot of times you can buy additional ones.  In extreme cases I will throw my auger in the sled for extra weight but haven't had any problems with the wind blowing my sled away on me without extra weight (just the weight of two adults on the built-in bench) but then I usually don't fish in extremely high wind days.

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2012, 03:05 PM »
thanks polarbehr but I already have a big permanent shack im looking for something more portable ad from what you guys have said its looking like the eskimo flipmo 3 is the pick for me.i will be picking it up on Wednesday. anyone know how hard they are to put together for the first time.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 12:58 PM »
Have any of you guys put together a flip over shack? just wondering how much is all involved with it. Wholesale sports told me it only takes half an hour but I have heard it takes at least 3 hours is this true?

Offline Schmits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Any I have put together have not been to hard to assemble. You will want to have a good amount of space, and a little patience. Once you get the box open and take a look at all the parts, you realize its not all that daunting of a task.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:47 PM »
ok sounds good thanks. is it ok for one person to do it or do you have two for somethings? I heard the canvas is hard to put on yourself. how long do you think it actually takes?

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:11 PM »
Just put together an Otter Wild  Cabin.  If you are assembling the works by yourself, including hitch and hyfax, plan on 3 hours.  The hyfax would go much quicker with a second set of hands.  The rest was pretty simple, but not quick.  Lay everything out, with its label.  Read the instructions once first, there are little tips (like WD40 inside the sliding frames before assembly) that are much harder to do after the fact.  The canvas is not too hard, lay it on top, tug here, tug there until everything fits.  Relax, enjoy the process, don't worry about the time.   Good luck.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2013, 06:48 PM »
can I ask why you pickd the otter over the eskimo. I am trying to decide for sure its either going to be the eskimo flipmo three or the otter lodge? ive been trying to read reviews and look on youtube but I haven't been able to find much cause they are both relatively new.

emt

« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I have the eskimo 3 man flip over style-a buddy came over and we put it together relatively fast-toughest part is fastening the canvas around the back of the sled-my girlfriend and myself use it all the time-we got the hitch and cover and pull it with the snowmobile-I like the fact that the sled is big enough to put all your gear-auger. shovel, tip-ups, rods, heater, food, stove, fishfinders/cameras, etc... so you are pretty much self contained to go anywhere all day.  Never had problems with wind ever-there are poles you put inside that supports the structure on windy days so it can never collapse and it isn't going to blow away attached to my sled or else if I unhook it, just pile some snow around the base of the sled and it can't go anywhere.
hope that helps
EMT

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:58 PM »
can I ask why you pickd the otter over the eskimo. I am trying to decide for sure its either going to be the eskimo flipmo three or the otter lodge? ive been trying to read reviews and look on youtube but I haven't been able to find much cause they are both relatively new.

I have done extensive research on the flip over shelters, and while there is no real consensus, there seems to be a tendency to rank Otter and Frabill as 1 and 2, not necessarily in that order, with Clam and Eskimo at the next tier, and then the rest. 

Otter is generally considered to have the best sled, which was important to me for medium to long trips with the snowmobile. 

I wanted at least an insulated top, if not full insulation.  I wanted a roomy one man, with room for the occasional second fisherman. 

I considered the Frabill Predator, a very well built unit, but overkill for my needs.  (also, they did not have the R2-tec version locally).  Glad I didn't go that way, the Otter is plenty heavy, the Frabill would have been 40 pounds more!

I wasn't too keen on the Flipmo seating, although it might be OK, permanent seating seemed more practical.

Shipping on a flip-over shack is ridiculous, so I was limited to what I could find locally. 

I did not get to sit in either one before making my purchase, so the decision was made entirely based on internet research.

That, and a buddy of mine just sold his Quickflip to buy a Clam, not a big vote of confidence in big red there.

I am sure you will enjoy whichever shack you buy, I don't beleive either is a bad shack.  It just seemed that the Otter was closer to what I was looking for. 

By the way, the Otter system for attaching the canvas to the sled is sweet!  I used 2 screws (probably didn't need any), and removal from the sled would take about 5 minutes, yet there no issues with anything coming apart when it shouldn't.  Great system compared to what I have read about other brands!

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:23 PM »
hey emt do you have the quick flip or the flip mo?

also fishnchip
do you have the otter wild or the pro. the pro isn't available when I am otherwise may go that route. the new eskimo flipmo is insulated as well. I like the idea of the seats swiveling and moving in the otter however I like that the seats fold flat to nothing. for easier storage in the sled.  I heard frabill is horrible to deal with if there is any issues with warranty. and I seen videos on you tube of clam shacks and the whole black inside is flaking off them.

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:41 PM »
Otter Wild Cabin.  Not a lot of options if you can only shop PA/Toontown.  It was the best available option, I thought.  If I came across a Pro Cabin or Cottage, I would jump at it.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:11 PM »
I am in the same boat. I have a big camper permy and I want to buy a flip-over shack. I have the advantage of being able to borrow my partners Eskimo. I am looking for a flip shack because last year, I watched 2 guys trying to set up a pop up shack in the wind....entertaining to watch!

Now, after using the Eskimo, I have learned a few things.... I LOVE the sled idea. I can throw all my gear in and GO. I WAS looking at a 3 man but after sliding the 2 man Eskimo into the back of my truck, I decided that I would rather have a 2 man so I can close my tailgate! I found it EASY to load and unload myself, it holds all my gear and is light enough for me to pull (but I would rather use my ATV/snowmobile!). It is easy to set up and roomy for a bigger guy like me to fish and be warm and comfortable. Get a unit with a console!

Cons: I will go with a thermal canvas to help hold in the heat. I will go with better venting to stop the wind from coming in and to help keep the condensation at bay. 2 seats are nice but I am looking at the Frabil or the Clam for the swivel bucket seats. I also want to have the option of removing one seat when fishing alone.

I LOVE the Otter sleds. I own one. But I don't like the bench seats in their shacks. I think they would be uncomfortable for me and limit my access to my gear while sitting on them. My dream shack IS an Otter with a swivel bucket removable seating...Just my 2 cents...I am going to use this Eskimo this season, spend some time with it and learn more as I go. I guess the best thing you can do before spending that kind of cash is to go to a shop that has alot of different shacks set up and sit in them or find a buddy or two who have that style of shack and fish out of them....

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2013, 04:57 PM »
My dream shack IS an Otter with a swivel bucket removable seating...Just my 2 cents.

Sounds a lot like the Otter Pro 900 series...

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:18 PM »
Sounds a lot like the Otter Pro 900 series...

After I posted that...I started looking at the Pro Otters. My bad..... but REALLY???.....PRICY!!!

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:25 PM »
I prefer a cabin style with a floor.  I do not like my feet on the cold ice.  I use a Buddy Heater and do not want the bare ice to get melted and wet/glossy from the heater. I do not like my stuff on the cold wet ice.  The floor keeps me dry and warm. I carry a collapsible shovel in my sled to clear off any snow.  So a flat surface is always there for me under any conditions. This is nice when the surface of the ice is wet and slushy. My 2 cents.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.