Author Topic: Three ice reports  (Read 668 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Three ice reports
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:08 PM »
I visited 3 reservoirs this afternoon to check on the ice and to see if anybody was poking holes in it.  I didn’t do any fishing myself.   Here are the reports.

Mantua: The ice close to shore near the boat launch (west side) was about 4 inches or more with maybe 2 to 3 inches of slush on top of it.  I walked out to chat with some folks and they said it had been slow but they caught a few.  I saw one trout on the ice.  It’s not ready for ATV/snowmobiles yet, but foot traffic should do okay.  There were about 20 people evenly split between the west side and the southeast corner.

Hyrum: The ice close to shore was solid with no cracking until I got out about 50 yards from shore to talk to the lone fisherman there.  When I got within 15 feet of him the ice started cracking and he told me to please stay back at least 20 feet as the ice was just about 3 inches thick and he didn’t trust it to hold us both.  He had 3 trout and was releasing the rest until he got closer to his time to leave.  There were 3 others just off the cliff near the spillway and 4 to 6 over next to the west side.  There was no slush on the ice.

Pineview: There was a large amount of open water in the narrows.  The rest of the water was ice covered as far as I could see from the Port Ramp.  There were no people out on the ice but there were tracks in the snow out to the boat docks at the Port Ramp.  I didn’t go out on the ice but I doubt it will take more than a week before people will be out there fishing.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline BroncoFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Three ice reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:08 PM »
Thanks Bob, I am considering Mantua tomorrow. 

Offline k2muskie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Thank You dubob...with this cold weather 17* at the house here in Roy as I type things should hopefully freeze up solid again.  We're headed to the lil-Newt tomorrow with folks...Hopefully PV will put some more ice on this week so we can get out on it in the very near future.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Thanks dubob, thinking i might venture out in the view tomorrow or monday will report back. Good luck at the newt k2. Oh ya there should be a poll up soon for a date on the utah GTG
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.