Author Topic: 2013 West Loughborough Watch  (Read 14708 times)

Offline charles0203

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 2013 West Loughborough Watch
« Reply #90 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Not far at all, I have the exact amount on my gps but an estimate would be 100-150m

Thanks for the note. Look forward to your updates.

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:15 PM »
OMG the Suspense is Killing me.....

To fish or not to fish...
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:18 PM »
OMG the Suspense is Killing me.....

To fish or not to fish...

Go fishin Ram!!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Checked the ice at lunch today, in the 40fow range there was a solid 4inches of really nice black ice, saw Finlandia1 out there, he and his buddy were set up in 44fow I beleive where he reported there was about 3in of solid black ice.  He landed some beauty trout too!
Still the majorty of the lake is wide open but the ice pack seems to be growing and like I said the area that has been ice covered has solid black ice, lets hope it packs on another inch or two over these next couple of cold nights.  You will still be somewhat limited to the 40-50fow range this weekend but the ice is setting up nice.  Stay safe spud your way out.
@jzuliniak

Offline finlandia1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:11 PM »
JZ got the ice report bang on..... Was really nice to meet you out there...keep those reports coming I am sure they are really appreciated. We caught our limit....took a while, not graphing too many fish but some are there. Should only get better ice for the next while, can't wait to use the auger instead of the spud!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:31 PM »
JZ got the ice report bang on..... Was really nice to meet you out there...keep those reports coming I am sure they are really appreciated. We caught our limit....took a while, not graphing too many fish but some are there. Should only get better ice for the next while, can't wait to use the auger instead of the spud!
You too Finlandia1, hopefully with the brutally cold weather forecasted for next week this thread wont be necessary for much longer because the whole lake will be locked up.
@jzuliniak

Offline Justin_Barc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #96 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:46 PM »
Just want to say thanks ALOT for the info on the ice conditions im definitly going stir crazy waiting to get out there!

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 19, 2013, 07:15 AM »
Well lookin out the window this morning, the open water JZ mentioned now has a skim of ice over it. Hopefully it holds up today with this mild spell. Should be better by next weekend.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Jan 19, 2013, 02:54 PM »
Anyone get a chance to get out there today? Interested to know how thick the ice was in the 40-50fow range? On thurs it was a solid 4in and we got another 24hrs of cold before the warmer weather today.  Just debating on whether I need to bring the auger or if I can spud through still. 5 in or more of black ice is auger time for me.
@jzuliniak

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Jan 19, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Hey Guys... I made it out there today. just to check ice depth.  in 50ft it was 4 solid inches.. I did talk to two guys that were out there, and they were not nervous of the ice thickness at all.. It took me a few min to work up the courage to walk out to them, and i could see the bottem clear as a bell.  I was only out there for 1/2 hour testing my auger and drill combo,

I will be out there tomorrow.

I took a video of the lake, the augerdrill, and i put my phone in the hole to show ice thickness.  ( waterproof ) and will try and post up the link this evening.

&feature=youtu.be

I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #100 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:07 PM »
Thanks MegaRam, that's a cool drill attachment it will come handy next weekend when the ice doubles in thickness.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:31 PM »
hey megaram,
 sorry i never answered to your pm but i blew the differential in my wifes car earlier this week and been busy repairing plus i caught the bug and wasnt feeling good at all. I will be out there tomorrow morning to see if i have any luck at all. I will have on a black jacket and if its really cold my cadpat ice pants lol... if you see me come say hello.
ECB

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Jan 20, 2013, 10:29 AM »
STAY OFF THE ICE TODAY......

I took a drive to the lake at 10am to check what the warm temps and wind have done to the ice.... my finding are..

1 1/2 inches are gone. and i could see lots of open water.  also, with the wind I  could see the ice rolling and flexing..

Theres always next weekend with the cold front moving in tonight..
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #103 on: Jan 20, 2013, 11:39 AM »
MegaRam is right not a good day to be out there, the wind chew up everything except the pack over 40fow, back to having 90% of the lake wide open, but fear not next week will lock everything up tight as a drum.

@jzuliniak

Offline Seveer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 20, 2013, 09:48 PM »
Drove by at 2:30 and saw 2-3 ft of water at the ramp through broken up ice. open water about 200' out from ramp and went a little further down the road and saw two guy setting up a rather large shack on the ice which they drove out with ATV and trailer.... was litterally flabbergasted at what I saw.....

Offline Ruckus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 21, 2013, 06:43 PM »
WOW!!!  I thought we were a little crazy walking out yesterday.

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Drove by at 2:30 and saw 2-3 ft of water at the ramp through broken up ice. open water about 200' out from ramp and went a little further down the road and saw two guy setting up a rather large shack on the ice which they drove out with ATV and trailer.... was litterally flabbergasted at what I saw.....

Yikes!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:36 PM »
Lots of people out there today for a Tues afternoon, lake looks like its ice covered as far as I could see.  Some poeple out in the 80-90fow area, we have had near perfect ice making conditions over the last couple days so the ice should be packing on the inches. Hopefully the guys that were out deep today post a report.
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Lots of people out there today for a Tues afternoon, lake looks like its ice covered as far as I could see.  Some poeple out in the 80-90fow area, we have had near perfect ice making conditions over the last couple days so the ice should be packing on the inches. Hopefully the guys that were out deep today post a report.

Nice, thanks for the update JZ! FYI I picked up that auger at CT! :)

Offline finlandia1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Was on loughborough today.... 5-6" at the 40' depth.....around 3" at 90' depth....it was making ice the entire outing....should be rock solid with 5+ everywhere by the weekend. Did not graph too many but still managed my 2 fish.

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:07 PM »
Was on loughborough today.... 5-6" at the 40' depth.....around 3" at 90' depth....it was making ice the entire outing....should be rock solid with 5+ everywhere by the weekend. Did not graph too many but still managed my 2 fish.

Awesome report, thanks finlandia1!

Andrew

Offline KtownIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #111 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:49 AM »
Im so looking forward to getting out on Loughborough this saturday.  Anyone here ever snag any decent burbot on Loughborough?  Im getting a hankering for some poor mans lobster and its nice to know a big burbot may hit my bait while fishing lakers.
Cheers
KtownIce

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:31 PM »
Im so looking forward to getting out on Loughborough this saturday.  Anyone here ever snag any decent burbot on Loughborough?  Im getting a hankering for some poor mans lobster and its nice to know a big burbot may hit my bait while fishing lakers.
Cheers
KtownIce
I have only gone out at night once and targeted them for a couple hrs and didnt get anything.  I have been told by people that they are in there and others have told me they have never seen one so the jury is still out on the Burbot population in Loughborough once we get some more humane temps at night I will go out a couple more times and try to get one.  Best time is suppose to be during their spawn in late Feb early March in shallower water.  If anyone has ever nabbed one on Lobo I would love to see it just so I know I am not wasting my time as I sit out there at night freezing my a$$ off.
@jzuliniak

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 AM »
I drove by this AM about 10, it`s  looking pretty good out there...I saw three or four popups well out in the deeps so I guess it`s good to go.  We could use an ice thickness report though.

Sig sends VVV
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 PM »
I was out there this morning at 11 and stayed till around 3. I marked a lot of fish in depths ranging from 40-95 ft. Ice thickness was handy to 6" of black ice everywhere in the places we could not fish before due to open water. i saw 4 wheelers zippin around out there in the deep stuff so in my opinion i would say we are all safe to have a lot of laker fun. The sounds of the lake building ice today while i was on it was music to my ears and i will be out again tomorrow after lunch till around 4 o clock.
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Jan 26, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Got out for a quick 2.5hr fish, fished from 35fow to 66 fow and found 9inches of black ice in all 20 or so holes I punched.  Started shallow and work progressively deeper, only had a couple hits the first was on the edge of a 35ft shoal and I got bit off, first time that has happened to me laker fishing, I suspect the extreme cold played a role in making the fluro a little more brittle or who knows maybe it was a pike, either way the fish and my tube were gone. The second fish I was able to land it hit in 35 fow over 66fow again on a white tube.  I almost missed this fish because I was screwing around with my phone and when I glanced over at my sonar the fish was closing in so I started reeling and got it to chase and strike.  Nothing big 2.5lber but better than a skunk on a very cold morning.  No one was on the ice when I got there but by the time I left around 9:30 there were probably 20 or so people out there, atvs and even a truck parked on the ice.
@jzuliniak

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Jan 26, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Hey JZ,
That's funny how you mentioned that you got a bite off! the exact same thing happened to me yesterday with my white tube. I marked the fish right off bottom in 74FOW and he seemed interested so i started reeling as fast as i could to try to trigger a strike and he ended up hitting at  around 40FT and i went to set the hook and bye bye tube jig lol. I was actually going to post that to see if its a common thing to get a bite off fishing lakers. It was a rush though to see the fish chase for close to 40 feet while speed reeling. THEY ARE FAST!!
ECB

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 26, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Was thinking about taking my bike and 6x10 hut out. If there is 9in I'm thinking I should be good to go

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 26, 2013, 04:12 PM »
I wanna come try loughborough lake for some lakers...Don't know where or how to fish lakers only ever caught one by accident, but from what you guys are saying, when you mark one pull the bait away from it as fast as you can to make em hit it?

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 26, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I was out today from 10 till 3... marked lots of fish, but no takers.. tried everything i had in my box..lol..   The red truck parked out on the ice was a buddy of mine,  then we noticed a blue truck parked beside him... Then we saw a car drive to one of the perm shacks out there... So i said what the hay, i drove my full size truck onto the ice... not far, 20ft.. loaded up my gear and got off.. I will be parking my truck on the ice next time im out..( close to shore ).

Canadian tire was sold out of minnows, and i wasn't about to burn the fuel to head to battersea....  so i made due...

Met Finlandia1 on  the ice today... with his catch ( Good on ya )

Eastcoastboy, was that you in deeper water, i wasn't sure and my eyesight is terrible at a distance... you might have seen me out there, I was in the Blue Clam with the Dog...
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.