Author Topic: Big/South Manistique  (Read 2153 times)

Offline rubbermouth

• IceShanty Rookie
Big/South Manistique
« on: Dec 28, 2012, 08:02 AM »
Heard there Fishin both lakes first time there where should I start?

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Big/South Manistique
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2012, 06:31 PM »
First off get a map of the lakes. Break it up into sections (bays, points, drop offs ect.) and go from there. Theres no big secrets to these lakes and theres lots of fish. If you are an experienced ice fisherman you will have no trouble figuring them out. Also, take note of where other people are fishing. Go into the fish and hunt shop too. They will help you out with access spots and areas to try out. Cathy's is another good bait shop in town.

Offline fordo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:05 AM »
My group will be hitting the ice on the South lake Saturday the 5th, how much ice is there on South Manistique? Last year we started with about 6 inches and ended the week walking in about four inches of slush.

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2012, 08:07 AM »
My group will be hitting the ice on the South lake Saturday the 5th, how much ice is there on South Manistique? Last year we started with about 6 inches and ended the week walking in about four inches of slush.

oops wrong thread

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:15 PM »
I'm planning to go up to Curtis Jan. 7th.  I called JR's for South Manistique ice conditions.  They said 1.5 to 7 inches of ice.   Has anyone on here been on the ice to verify this?  How much snow is on the ice?  Are they using atv's or snow machines?  Thanks for any help/info!!!!!
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2012, 06:43 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D I rented a lodge on the South Lake for a week, Jan 14 to 21st. Eight of us are heading up from just below the bridge!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D Cant wait! ;D ;D ;D
Anyone ever chase the Lake Trout in the North Lake? Any suggestions on tackle or areas to try for em? Ive never caught a laker through the ice and I figure it would be awesome!! Catch and release on the lakers though!
Good luck guys!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline dirtman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:02 AM »
I'm planning to go up to Curtis Jan. 7th.  I called JR's for South Manistique ice conditions.  They said 1.5 to 7 inches of ice.   Has anyone on here been on the ice to verify this?  How much snow is on the ice?  Are they using atv's or snow machines?  Thanks for any help/info!!!!!

That sounds right.  I was on Millicoquins yesterday and where there was a small patch of snow the ice was 3", where there was bare ice it was 7".  We used our quad.  I would think by the 7th the South Lake will be ok and be careful on the big lake.  Call Kathy at JR's for the best info (906) 586-6040. As for snow on the ice it is patchy, small drifts with lots of bare ice. Bring your creepers.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:07 AM »
dirtman,  thank you very much for the feedback....i really appreciate it!

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:25 PM »
I was out on the south lake today and it was iffy.  Didn't even make it to where I wanted to go.  I was walking too.  Be veeeerrryyyy careful...it's no joke.

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Really?  If you don't mind, could you elaborate?  I'm headed there on the 7th.   Or you can PM me.  thanks.

Offline fordo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:56 AM »
I was out on the south lake today and it was iffy.  Didn't even make it to where I wanted to go.  I was walking too.  Be veeeerrryyyy careful...it's no joke.

When you say "iffy" how much ice are you talking about. We are making a long trip to the South lake Saturday morning and certainly dont want to waste a trip.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:44 AM »
I'm not reporting ice thickness here...I've had too many times where someone has told me the entire lake wa 8" and I go t fnd 2-3".

The area I was in had very bad ice though.  There's no way I'd take a quad out there at least for another 10 days though.  It's just not creating as much ice as it should be for some reason.  The area I was in had thin ice, 2-4" of water and another inch of ice on top.

Offline dirtman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I just got back from checking out South Manistique out of Dunkles Landing (SE part of lake).  As I stated above the thinest ice is under the snow spots, I walked over half way out to Norton Island where there is 2 permy shacks, one had a snowmachine parked next to it.  I saw numerous quad tracks going out of Dunkles.  I spudded and measured ice thickness at a few spots mostly where there was snow on the ice.  The least I found was 4".  Where the ice was bare I found 6 or 7".  Now I didn't come across more than 2" of snow so if you get much more than that I would be concerned.  I would stay clear from inlet areas and set up on the bare ice areas.  Bring creepers.  Again I was only in one small area of the lake too.  As I say above check with Kathy at JR's for the best info of the area.  Temps look like mostly below freezing for the next few days but not by much so I don't see it making much ice either. 

Offline fordo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2013, 04:17 PM »
I just got back from the South lake (we stayed at Koxy's) there were nine of us for 6 nights of fishing. The pike out numbered the Walleye but we did catch 22 Walleye (22" and 24" were the big ones). We took sleds out every night except for last night, we didn't feel the ice was safe for sleds. We had mostly 4 to 6 inches of ice but the warm weather chased us home a day early. It is supposed to get cold starting Sunday. If all else fails Kims Tally-Ho is always a place for cheap beer, good burgers, and shuffle puck. Good luck

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:12 PM »
I just got back from the South lake (we stayed at Koxy's) there were nine of us for 6 nights of fishing. The pike out numbered the Walleye but we did catch 22 Walleye (22" and 24" were the big ones). We took sleds out every night except for last night, we didn't feel the ice was safe for sleds. We had mostly 4 to 6 inches of ice but the warm weather chased us home a day early. It is supposed to get cold starting Sunday. If all else fails Kims Tally-Ho is always a place for cheap beer, good burgers, and shuffle puck. Good luck

We stayed on the east side of the lake.  Where is Koxy's? 

Offline fordo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2013, 06:42 AM »
Sorry, should have been Kozy's, right across from the bait shop and party store. You cant miss the cabins all painted in bright greens, yellow and purple. Nice cabins at a pretty good price $470 for the week.

Offline woody63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:18 AM »
We will be up on Thursday thru Monday,,staying at Gordons big cabin. Will probably fish the big lake chasing eyes am and pm and pike n perch during the day. Always a ton of fun at the shuffelboard table at Kim's.We have always had better fishing on the big lake but who knows,,,more just a preference. Fishing tournament saturday on both lakes $20 bucks to enter,,why not. I will update when we are there on how we do.
You cant have everything,,,where would you put it

Offline Laker22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:11 AM »
My brother and I will be fishing the tournament also. Will be fishing the big lake.

Offline woody63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Look us up, we will be off the landing somewhere on the south side of the big lake. Red honda and a blue polaris quad,might have the blue fishtrap shack along. Never too cold for beer and a nipper on the ice
Woody
You cant have everything,,,where would you put it

Offline Laker22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Will do. We will be jumping all over the lake. We have 2 snowmobiles. One black and one green along with 1 or 2 black Frabill shanties.  I think we are going over Thursday night and leaving Sunday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.