Author Topic: First fish with Marcum LX7 - multiple problems  (Read 11274 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First fish with Marcum LX7 - multiple problems
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:04 PM »
I wouldnt rule out a 7,it's an amazing machine... They will get the bug fixed and a simlpe 3 minute update will fix your unit.... I have had mine a year now and the wife uses it for the most part and thinking hard about getting another or a 6 for her so I can get my 7 back... I still love my 5 but the more I use the 7 the less I love my 5....Mine had the bug as it was onevof the first sent out last year and once we got the update it was a totaly new machine, it wasnt to shabby before that either...I used mine last year end of Feb in 45' and turned it on yesterday in 6' and never adjusted a thing other than the zoom range....

Offline ATRAIN44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:10 PM »
so what are the main advantages of the 7 over the 5.  I don't mean to be clueless on this topic but I am.  I'm very interested in one but I know very little to nothing about them or how to use them.
Women love me.....fish fear me!!!

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 31, 2012, 09:22 AM »
was this a new lx-7 that you got or a used one? my only concern would be on a used unit. I had a bad transducer on mine, sent it back to marcum and had a 5 day total turnaround from when sent to when I received it. I am planning on upgrading my lx-5 soon, I likely wouldnt do it til season end now, I have a buddy who will let me use his lx-5 if I sell mine and until the new one arrives anyway.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2012, 10:21 AM »
What happened to Simple.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Mark,

As they say "close enough doesn't count".  I have seen a change of 1 in the sensitivity can make a big difference.  Your depth setting has to be greater than the depth you are fishing in.  Zoom slightly greater works best.

Not here for an argument just trying to help a fellow Marcum user.

Walleye Tom -

I do appreciate the advice, believe me.  What I meant to say, and did so poorly, was that I tried just about every combinationI could think of as we were out for 5 hours or so.  I didn't end up fishing with your suggestions but I would be willing to guess that I had that combo at some point.  Could be wrong. I'll try these settings when I hit the ice tomorrow.

I still say that if the dynamic depth and auto depth don't work, why spend the money for these features if they don't work.Could find a flasher for less that does more.  Also, I know Marcum will fix this but when?  Ice fishing is a short season and I cannot use this unit in the condition it is in.  Can't find bottom, can't find the lure, graph doesn't work at all as it is completely "filled in".  My main reason for buying it was the dynamic depth and the chart - both of which are useless to me.  Naturally, I sold the LX5 prior to using this LX7.  I even won a Pro 1 at the ice show and sold that as well.  Might have been a mistake.

Mark

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Mark, I absolutely feel the same way. Paid good money and got only half the machine. Good thing I got another unit to use if my current unit wouldve came with a 8 deg. Ducer and same or better target separation I wouldnt be in this conversation right now. Hopefully Marcum comes through with a fix.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2012, 05:08 PM »
Mark,

I hope you get it fixed.  Just want you out there fishing.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 01, 2013, 01:38 PM »
I am curious to see how the other unit works today when mark tests it out! i am also bringing two along with me and hoping one of them works as it should!!! i havent seen any posts about people talking about how their lx7 or lx6 works as it should all year!!

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Brand new LX-6, all excited until I used it. Depth jumping around, phantom marks, difficulty in seeing my lure.  I'm hoping the down loadable update is coming soon.

Duke

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:08 PM »
My 7 works perfect but also running 2.9

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:24 PM »
people need to start calling marcum to let them know about the issues and hope that speeds up the update process!

Offline Mark Wo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:03 PM »
Ok. I brought the second unit out today. Version 3.01 but still had the old handle/case. Immediately it was a huge, and I mean huge improvement over the first unit I had. I had it on auto depth as dynamic still doesn't work. I had a fairly stable bottom, I could find my lure and I could see fish. The graph worked great. Still had some bottom fluctuations but I could live with it.

In dynamic mode, forget about it.

I tried Walleye Tom's setting suggestions and they worked great (thanks Tom)

While all this sounds great, I don't think the unit is right. Still had some problems but at least this time I could fish with it. I also found that as the battery wore down the flasher reverted to the problems I fist described. We were in a known 26' depth areas and towards the end of the outing the flasher started to say we were I only 6' of water which it constantly showed. Very strange  Whole flasher was conmpletey blank.  No bottom, nothing in-between - nothing.

I also could never ge the temperatures  reading to show. No biggie to me and maybe it isn't suppose to work. Long story short, at least this one was usable. I will still be calling Marcum tomorrow. 

Mark

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:06 PM »
Bummer deal hope it is resolved.
Fishin red lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:11 PM »
The temp is only for the high speed ducer for open water use, glad this ones working better have patience I went through it with my 7 last year and once I got the update it was a totaly different and amazing machine... Thinking about a 2nd one but for now the 5 will have to do till I build up the fishing fund or sell the wife...

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:18 PM »
I have an email in to Marcum today.  Waiting for a reply.  Still can't get anyone to answer the phone yet...same "we will be out until the 2nd" recording.  I asked them if v2.9 can be loaded onto a unit that already has 3.01.  Will post the response as soon as I get it.
  BE THERE!

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:23 PM »
I picked up the lx6 and was able to test it out once and found a couple bugs myself. Digital depth would fluctuate and would read the depth of my jig instead of true bottom. I was fishing in 15 ft of water and used the 20ft scale in vertical mode. When in zoom vertical mode the bottom would disappear in and out on me. So far the issues I experienced are very minor to me because I hardly use the zoom function and as long as I can see where true bottom was the digita depth read out fluctuating was not a deal breaker.

Try turning your sensitivity down--it worked for me on my LX-7.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:24 PM »
My buddy gave Marcum a call this morning and talked to someone and couldnt give him a straight answer to his problems. He did manage to get the person to say that there will be a update release sometime next week, what version ?? Im not sure. My buddy asked what the update was suppose to fix and he said he didnt know. Anyone else get a hold of marcum?

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2013, 12:28 PM »
My buddy gave Marcum a call this morning and talked to someone and couldnt give him a straight answer to his problems. He did manage to get the person to say that there will be a update release sometime next week, what version ?? Im not sure. My buddy asked what the update was suppose to fix and he said he didnt know. Anyone else get a hold of marcum?

Marcum is releasing version 3.01 on their website next week according to the email I got from them.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:28 PM »
Mark Wo

I must admit that I never use Dynamic.  I always manually set the depth.

Two Marcum LX-7 fishing near each other today.  We hammered the lake trout.  We would never have caught so many  without the zoom and flasher.
Those trout love to chase the bait.  They sit 0 - 20 ft. off bottom in 95 ft. of water.  You need to see where they are and then tease them to chase the bait.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 02, 2013, 07:39 PM »
oh boy..i called probably 8 times today with no answer..i bet they are getting slammed with calls about this because people actually got to go out and fish with the units over the holidays..hopefully the software that is released is something other then 3.01k which is what came on mine! if thats what is being released with all of these problems out there it could really be a mess...just ordered unit number 2 to test out!! i am very curious what they say about dialing back to v2.9...that would be the first thing i would do since most people have great luck with it!!!

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:41 PM »
Got ahold of Marcum today.  Finally.  I asked them if you can go from v3.01 to v2.9.  Basically the reply was we're not really sure, so it's probably not wise to try it.  They did say however to be watching for an update next week.  They said this was an update to v3.01, so it SHOULDN'T be the web version of v3.01.  For problems in shallow water, they suggested to try switching to open water mode instead of ice mode.  Also, if you are having problems with your jig falsifying bottom in dynamic depth mode, switch to manual depth.  I know this sucks for the money that is put into this unit, but I know Marcum is aware of the quirks and they are working on it.  Not all units are having the same problems, so not sure what is going on there.  Wait it out...it willl get better.  Just stinks to suffer through the ice season with this.
  BE THERE!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:47 PM »
manual mode doesn't help. Depth still bounces around and reading my jig instead of bottom.

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 03, 2013, 02:41 PM »
do you mean an updated version of 3.01 or is it an update OF 3.01 (like 2.9 to 3.01) i really hope it is an updated version of 3.01 that doesnt have the problems this current 3.01 has

Got ahold of Marcum today.  Finally.  I asked them if you can go from v3.01 to v2.9.  Basically the reply was we're not really sure, so it's probably not wise to try it.  They did say however to be watching for an update next week.  They said this was an update to v3.01, so it SHOULDN'T be the web version of v3.01.  For problems in shallow water, they suggested to try switching to open water mode instead of ice mode.  Also, if you are having problems with your jig falsifying bottom in dynamic depth mode, switch to manual depth.  I know this sucks for the money that is put into this unit, but I know Marcum is aware of the quirks and they are working on it.  Not all units are having the same problems, so not sure what is going on there.  Wait it out...it willl get better.  Just stinks to suffer through the ice season with this.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 03, 2013, 03:19 PM »
do you mean an updated version of 3.01 or is it an update OF 3.01 (like 2.9 to 3.01) i really hope it is an updated version of 3.01 that doesnt have the problems this current 3.01 has

It is supposed to be a new release.  The next step past 3.01.  This will not be the general release of 3.01.  Could be 3.02 or 3.1x something...depends on the quantity of changes.
  BE THERE!

Offline kennyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 03, 2013, 05:58 PM »
they told me the same thing! sounds like they are getting lots of calls about it!!! cant wait!!! also told me it was a no no to downgrade to 2.9

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2013, 06:02 AM »
manual mode doesn't help. Depth still bounces around and reading my jig instead of bottom.

What do you have your sensitivity set at? I keep mine between 2 and 3 and do not usually have this issue, although it has happened with larger lures.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I have my sensitivity at 5-6 using a small tungsten jig.  If I go any lower the jig will flicker in and out still manageable though. I like to see a solid return when im fishing.  Makes sense that with a larger profile lure you dont need to turn up the sensitivity.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.