Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy Creek Ice  (Read 23276 times)

Offline w@lleye_rookie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brushy Creek Ice
« Reply #60 on: Feb 10, 2013, 11:39 PM »
I have been to Brushy several times over the last 3 years trying to catch a walleye through the ice without success. Each time I tried different areas and lures. I was there on Friday and not only got one, but got two! One 17" by the west boat ramp and one 18" near the north end. I drilled lots of holes and didn't stay in one spot for very long, it was a nice day and I never set up my tent. I also caught a few crappie, bluegill, and perch, got everything on a small silver northland forage minnow spoon with wigglers on the trebble hook. Fish seemed pretty willing to bite, seems like I caught everything that I marked.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #61 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:32 PM »
How's ice there I'm planning on going up there Sunday wondering how ice is and where is a good place to start I've never been there any help would be great thanks for the help ;)
Never to many short poles

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #62 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:46 AM »
Went to brushy yesterday. Guys driving their $50,000 financed pickups, uninsured if they fall through, $1000 a day DNR fine, diver expenses, and a hefty tow truck bill; all over the lake. My $4000 paid for truck stayed at the ramp:) I like the exercise. My buddy stayed in the same spot for 5 hrs and caught 8 nice crappies. I scouted for 4 hrs and fished an hr. Slow. Only way my buddy could catch a fish was with a bare hook, split shot, and a small minnow. Jigs, lures, waxworms, spikes, plastics; nothing else would work.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Brushy is not a place to sit in one spot for a long time. Drill, drill and drill some more. Keep moving to find the active fish. We usually don't fish a hole more than a minute or so without catching a fish, then move to the next. Pre-drilling holes is the key. This is how you find the bigger/toothy critters that are roaming the lake.

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Spoonieluv, it's a perfect place to sit and fish.. And catch fish. You just need to find a special tree, which most people do not. 32 fow.. All I'm saying

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:52 PM »
so ice is over 12" thick up there nice I might have to talk my friend from desmoines to go that far Hopefully see you guys up there but its quite a drive for me down by missouri borderLOL but i will try ;D

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:42 AM »
There are plenty of special trees but lately its a hit or miss. I have had to move around a lot more this year to stay on fish consistently. Pullin in decent numbers on crappies and perch with the occasional walleye. Have seen some nice walleyes being pulled up this year!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #67 on: Feb 15, 2013, 04:02 PM »
Keep us posted guys central Iowa ice is about done so I'm gonna have to be driving out of my comfort zone for the rest of the season.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Feb 15, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I'm going to big creek in morning should be there between 8-9 am I will give you my cell# 641-344-8568 so text me if ya want I'm going to try Williams ramp first Thanks hope to see ya ;D

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Had a buddy go through up to his pits on what appeared to be good clean ice today. Heard of same happening to several others. Might be time for me to leave the area or hang it up  :(

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:51 AM »
Was he near the trees? I had a buddy go in up to his pits in January. It went from 10 inches to about a 1/2 in next to a big tree. I had just walked two feet to the right of where he had fallen through with my auger in hand. Pretty crazy! Its a good thing I was close by since he didn't have picks. If you don't have any BUY SOME! You are pretty much hopeless without them. I watched him struggle till we could get a strap to him to pull him out. Stay safe and tight lines!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 16, 2013, 01:16 PM »
So is brushy not safe ice then??? i was gonna make a trip there tommorow but if ice is skechty for get that  >:(

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #72 on: Feb 16, 2013, 01:23 PM »
It's super safe. I'm on my way to a nice mess of Gil's and crappie right now. Guys driving trucks all over it right now!

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #73 on: Feb 16, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Made my first trip to brushy today ice was 10 + trucks driving around north end like down town . Was able to catch two gills one pearch and a crappie.not to bad for my maiden voyage I guess..well worth the 2 hr drive.ill be back for sure.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #74 on: Feb 16, 2013, 06:44 PM »
Made my first trip to brushy today ice was 10 + trucks driving around north end like down town . Was able to catch two gills one pearch and a crappie.not to bad for my maiden voyage I guess..well worth the 2 hr drive.ill be back for sure.

thanks for the conditions report.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Phish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:08 PM »
Thanks for the ice report

Offline BassyThumb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:02 PM »
On Wednesday we walked from the North boat ramp all the way south to where the permies were setup(1/4 mile-ish).  The ice was easily 12" plus everywhere we poked a hole! I was surprised at how many trucks were out on the ice!  Did well on small "eater-size" crappie, but we're only CPR fisherman, so nothing worth bragging about.  Seemed like I could catch a fish or two out of about every hole that marked fish, but after that we would have to move on to the next cluster of trees.  It was fun.  Worth the drive from Des Moines as all our ice is about gone.

A bad day of fishing is better then a good day at work!

"Everyone ought to believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing"

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #77 on: Feb 21, 2013, 06:12 PM »
Today's DNR fishing report:

NORTHWEST
Brushy Creek Lake
Ice conditions are slowly deteriorating on Brushy Creek.  There is open water between the beach and the dam.  Ice conditions in the north end of the lake are variable, anywhere from 5 to 11 inches thick.  Crappie - Good: Some anglers are catching limits of crappie in 40 to 50 feet of water.

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 23, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I just read on the DNR fishing report site that Ice is deterioting is there still good safe ice?

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Feb 23, 2013, 02:39 PM »
lots of people driving out on north end. who knows where the bad spots are now with the snow. lots of 9" crappie. stay on the trails if you drive out. should be ok.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #80 on: Feb 24, 2013, 05:38 PM »
We had a blast this weekend! I got to witness my buddy pull a 10.5# 30" eye thru the ice!!! He had just lost his 2nd smartphone in two weeks at Brushy, down a hole again, 10 minutes earlier:(. His fish tangled two other lines,  but smart thinking; the bales were opened on the tangled lines, and he was able to land it. It was quite exciting!! Great times with great friends:)

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:01 PM »
Nice job...what a monster. Oh nice looking ice suit ;D

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #82 on: Feb 24, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Piggy  ;D way to get out there and get after it.

Offline IOWAICE21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:35 PM »
ASAT thats a hog! Did he release it or keep it? Thats the third one i have seen better than 10# off Brushy this winter!
LOVE FOR HARDWATER!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:43 PM »
It's going on his wall!!! It sure made the news on the ice quickly. People were snapping his pic and wanting autographs:)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #85 on: Feb 24, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Oh nice looking ice suit ;D
back at ya!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #86 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:07 AM »
Btw, four of us caught 100 9-11" crappies two days in a row; no moving and no structure.

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:36 AM »
WOW i was fishing there Sunday and heard about it from a neighboring fisherman!  We did ok on crappies couldn't get 2 limits but got 1 of Crappies!!  Tons of people fishing what an awesome place to fish!!! wish it was closer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #88 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:40 AM »
what an awesome place to fish!!! wish it was closer
best fishery in the state; hands down:)

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Feb 25, 2013, 09:42 AM »