Author Topic: what does everybody use for a line marker on tip-ups?  (Read 2021 times)

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: what does everybody use for a line marker on tip-ups?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:11 PM »
slip knot wit a match stick thru the loop or anything eles laying around, leaf stem, strip cut off a ski ticket etc. i fish from a foot under the ice down to a hundred feet, im not sliding a button that far
       x2 ;D

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #31 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:14 PM »
buttons usually

Offline lawnguyjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Masshole
« Reply #32 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Slip knot and paper match
Newfound (Circus)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:07 PM »
Buttons! Of course!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:50 PM »
rubber bands.  easy as it comes.  half hitch and your done.  slide up and down the line, wind up on the spool, and don't get caught on the ice.  since having triplet daughters almost 2 years ago, I am going to start reusing very thin pony tail holder rubber bands! 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:53 PM »
I move my tipups often and may start the morning in a couple feet of water, then move it to 30 ft, then back to 4 ft. Moving a button or stopper back and forth for so many ft has not worked well for me. I like these better than any of the many other things that I have tried, buttons, knots/loops, small bobbers and rubber bands.
Easy to move on the line, with a little glow tape they worked great at night, Cheap (Ebay), they have held up, just enough floatation that if dropped in the hole they can be retrieved and no knots left in the line!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #36 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:56 PM »
I get my depth with my flasher and then set my tip-up with a small shirt button.  When I am done fishing, I just wind the line between my index and middle finger and this catches the button and it is at the end for the next day of fishing.  I usually don't fish much deeper than 25 feet, so it does not take that long to slide the button up the line when you start.  Good Luck

Offline Ny Ice Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 23, 2012, 09:57 PM »
buttons!  :thumbsup:
Wanakena Ranger School Alumni '13

"The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

"Work: a dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing"-Ambrose Bierce

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:00 PM »
a small lead weight with ears, it clamps tight on my line. Easy to adjust and won't harm the line, I don't use mono.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 23, 2012, 10:27 PM »
Bobber stops or buttons.  I used to use split shot but the SOBs get snagged on the side of the hole and either:

A) it causes a little give to the fish and a little slack and then they throw the hooks and/or
B) the split shot falls off into the water and now I've lost a split shot and have to re-depth the rig  >:(

Offline mricefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:23 PM »
tiny tiny line marker bobbers here, But like the button idea going to give that a try here.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 23, 2012, 11:40 PM »
I have used buttons for over 25 years and probably for at least another 25.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #42 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:10 AM »
I am happy for all those that use a button with success, but I used them for years and found them to be a pain in the A@@... Sliding them up and down a wet line, 30 or 40 feet, having the line freeze and having to work it over frozen line, having the button brake in half, having them caught on the bottom of the hole (not often, but it has happened), they just slow down set up, moving and braking down to much for me. There are IMO,  better ways of marking your line...

Offline TrikerJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:22 AM »
I use  small "alligator clips " you can pick up at Radio Shack. They look just like the ones on store bought lead weight depth finders, (which you can also use). Wrap a small piece of electricians tape over the teeth to keep from knicking your line. If you have a coffee can in the garage full of assorted nuts and bolts, you can also tie a clip to some of the nuts and make your own depth finders.  :tipup: TrikerJohn
I may not agree with what you say, but I will fight for your right to say it....

Offline skybuster20ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:24 AM »
i use buttons but i fish for browns 99% of the time so im only making adjustments 6-12 feet under the ice. its extremely easy to slide it that far. if for somereason i decide im going to fish deeper down or bottom i tie in half a match stick.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #45 on: Dec 24, 2012, 06:47 AM »
i like to use tiny split shots,they cost about $.01 and pop rite off if they catch on the ice

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:23 AM »
I use a Sharpie marking pen.

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:26 AM »
small splitshot have worked for me.

onice2013

« Reply #48 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:45 AM »
first, i like using ice braid line between 25 and 50 lb test. (I use mostly 25 lb on my tipups.. the bigger the diameter, the  easier to manage tangles when you have freezing lines and howling winds.. I use buttons but not too thin or big otherwise they crack off.. especially when using thin ice lines like 20lb dia. or less.  Mt advice is to spool up with a quality coated ice braid and using little thick buttons to which the line can be threaded through two or three of the button holes to slide easy. I tried some thin ones and they crack off when sliding them on frozen line. Should I loose a button marker, I usually just tie a simple  single over hand knot  several feet up from  sound bottom.  Thicker lies are easier to do this too.

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:51 AM »
A small button. Slide line through 2 holes and it is tight enough to stay in place and easy to change depths, and wind up.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:52 AM »
I am a button guy has always works for me
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #51 on: Dec 24, 2012, 07:57 AM »
I may be crazy, but I don't use line markers. I use the depth weight to set it each time. I think my extra playing around attracts the fish. I fish mostly Pike with the tip ups. I may this season try one tip up with a depth maker and see if it helps? I know it would be quicker setting back up after a hit, but when the bite is slow, I walk around to all my tip ups and lift them up and set them back down to stir the bait. Most of the time I can't make it around to all my tip ups before having to go back to one I just lifted because of a flag. I have had the big pike come and look at the bait several times before deciding to bite. So by changing the angle of a dead bait or moving a live bait that may be just hanging stationary, I give them a second chance. I do love the days when you can do nothing wrong and the fish hit anything, but on the slow days what else is there to do?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:03 AM »
Less time setting up depth more time fishing.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:11 AM »
Never know you may need to get right back down at that depth really quick.
Gator Nation

onice2013

« Reply #54 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:17 AM »
I too agree a slow drop and hand feeding the live bait  rather than  sinking it fast is a better presentation but, not when hands are freezing cold ;D

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:23 AM »
I may be crazy, but I don't use line markers. I use the depth weight to set it each time. I think my extra playing around attracts the fish. I fish mostly Pike with the tip ups. I may this season try one tip up with a depth maker and see if it helps? I know it would be quicker setting back up after a hit, but when the bite is slow, I walk around to all my tip ups and lift them up and set them back down to stir the bait. Most of the time I can't make it around to all my tip ups before having to go back to one I just lifted because of a flag. I have had the big pike come and look at the bait several times before deciding to bite. So by changing the angle of a dead bait or moving a live bait that may be just hanging stationary, I give them a second chance. I do love the days when you can do nothing wrong and the fish hit anything, but on the slow days what else is there to do?

I too agree a slow drop and hand feeding the live bait  rather than  sinking it fast is a better presentation but, not when hands are freezing cold

A depth marker in no ways stop you from doing those productive techniques...

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:20 PM »
One thing I like about the buttons is if you get a quick strike or bait or wind trip you can see how much line is ran out.
Gator Nation

Offline bigbuck326

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 570 240 2001
« Reply #57 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Use Rubber Band Tie up  really fast move up and down than button

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #58 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:35 PM »
I use a very small split shot like others had said very easy on and easy off.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:57 PM »
I am in the small bobber crowd. Have tried different ideas, but this works best for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.