Author Topic: Year of the Pike  (Read 1247 times)

Offline ProV1X

• IceShanty Rookie
Year of the Pike
« on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:33 AM »
So it seems like a common theme is developing. More Pike, less perch. Are they related? Does it have anything to do with the flooding in 2011? Big spawn?

Offline coldazice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be fishing
Re: Year of the Pike
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I'd say its far too early to suggest this. Typically we aren't ice fishing until this week , give it until mid January and the perch will be active . No different from last year the perch weren't active but they were there.
TEAM Saskatchewan: Yes, we have ice in December!.

Offline GreenBones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:05 PM »
I live at Last Mountain Lake and we have also noticed a huge increase in the number of pike in the lake since the flood of 2011. Just fishing off the pier this past summer we could easily catch 20 or more in a couple of hours. We are also noticing a lot more on the camera when ice fishing this winter compared to the past couple of winters. I was told by one of the guys at a local tackle store that the flood rejuvenated the lake. The water did seem a lot clearer this summer and there did not seem to be as much of an algae bloom.

Offline ProV1X

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Fished Sandy Beach area today at my "can't miss" perch spot with 3 buddies. Fished 7 hours in 4-44 FTW. 0 Perch, 12 pike, 1 burbot and 5 small walleyes. Tip-ups were hitting all day.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Along the east side of Last Mountain I have been catching lots of perch in the usual places give or take. They do move around a bit from year to year. The water quality has improved and I have been catching more Walleye than usual. I attribute that to the flasher and checking out the suspended fish that I would have missed with the camera. It is fun to tease them for 5 minutes or more and even better when they take the bait. I am not catching any more Pike than usual but it could just be the areas I am fishing. I havent caught any Burbot yet this winter and I hope that changes soon. They taste great.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:44 AM »
 lots of good pike up here this season, so far...even caught one on the bottom in 48fow while fishing lake trout and burbot.  couldn't believe it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.